What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » lightning strikes

lightning strikes
Author: Message:
rincewind87

37 / Male / –
O.P. lightning strikes
in october last yr... somewhere in my street got struck by lightning... A LOT OF STUFF got burnt out...... on my list was.....

Cable modem (done me a favour   went back to adsl)
4 digital satelite decoders
4 port ADSL router i was using as a hub
my graphics card??????

the graphics card is what got me.... my pc is on a surge protector..... and it works ok through a monitor but it wont work through the tv?? is this coincidence or has it somehow bypassed the pc and killed the graphics card on its own??   freaky or what?
03-01-2007 07:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: lightning strikes
Not freaky at all though... At least in regards to your computer. Majorly freaky when lighting hits so close to you...djeezus. No one was hurt I hope...

Anyways, for starters such "surge protectors" wont protect you against all severe/close lighting strikes.

A surge protector protects your equipment against sudden voltage peaks up to a certain level.

A lighting strike happens so fast and can have so much power that almost no surge protectors would be able to protect your equipment against that. Even if it was stated on the box, as that is mostly just marketing and commercial talk and nothing more...

It is a very big misconception that suge protectors will protect you against lighting. (and certainly not the cheap ones) They protect you against normal but rare power grid peaks, not against severe elements of nature.

As for the damage done, yes it can be perfectly possible that nothing is damaged except for one component. eg: many times the most damage is done at the end of the line, not in the middle. The voltage 'just' passed thru components until it reaches a dead point.
That is: say you are holding a metal pole in the air, and that pole also touches the ground, then the lighting would travel thru that pole, you will feel a shock, but the explosion happens where the pole touches the ground (electricity always searches the least resistant path)...

This said, it might just be coincidence too though :p but it wouldn't be surprising if it wasn't.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-01-2007 07:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: