What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] VB6 debate

[split] VB6 debate
Author: Message:
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. [split] VB6 debate
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
First of all, you want to make a addon in VB6, which I don't personally recommend, because you can't do as much as you can in C/C++. VB6 is also a more unstable programming language (especially the IDE).
- You can do it in VB6.
- VB6 is certainly not a 'more unstable language'.

quote:
The points 2 and 3 can easiest be done with a winsock hook. There are many samples floating around the net, not for VB6 though.
There are many VB6 winsock hooking examples too. (pscode isn't the only place for example code)
Let's start.. Since you're Mrs. Perfect, you better help him, because your post does not say anything really.

I didn't say you couldn't do it in VB6, if you read my sentence once again, because you can't do as much as you can in C/C++.

VB6 is certainly a 'more unstable language'. It's not made to use Win32 APIs for example. It's not using original constants etc. There's no way to handle pointers.
If your program hangs (happens when making addons), you cannot stop it without exiting the whole IDE. And if you forgot to save before you click "Execute/Compile", it's gone. Also lots of wierd error messages, you can't debug it any good since the outcome is junk. Microsoft has always been claiming VB should be easy, fast, powerful, still, non of their programs are written in VB. VB6 sucks, realize it! It's easier to learn C++ than to hook API's in VB.

Okay, over to the www.pscode.com comment. I suggested PSCode because I know mostly stuff is working. There are other sites as well.. But if you know so much about winsock hooking in VB6, why don't you show us a sample instead of making me laugh?

It is indeed possible to hook winsock in VB6, with a ActiveX or DLL written in another language!

That's my opinion,
vikke

This post was edited on 03-15-2007 at 09:20 PM by WDZ.
4 8 15 16 23 42
03-14-2007 03:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [addon made in vb6]3 howto's questions
quote:
Let's start.. Since you're Mrs. Perfect, you better help him, because your post does not say anything really.
1) don't start flaming here. Thank you...
2) it corrects yours

quote:
I didn't say you couldn't do it in VB6, if you read my sentence once again, because you can't do as much as you can in C/C++.
which implies you can't do it in VB6.

quote:
VB6 is certainly a 'more unstable language'. It's not made to use Win32 APIs for example.
what has that got to do with "more unstable language". Also, since when is VB6 "not made to use APIs". That's quite frankly totally and utterly wrong. The method and function declarations are especailly made for that.

quote:
It's not using original constants etc.
??? constants need to be declared, even in C!

quote:
There's no way to handle pointers.
very old fairy tale used by those who hate VB6. VB6 can handle pointers perfectly.

quote:
If your program hangs (happens when making addons), you cannot stop it without exiting the whole IDE. And if you forgot to save before you click "Execute/Compile", it's gone.
that has nothing todo with "stability of the language" at all. That has todo with the IDE.

quote:
Also lots of wierd error messages
The native error messages are very descriptive. The normal error messages are just as normal as error messages in any other language.

quote:
you can't debug it any good since the outcome is junk.
??? yes you can. And, ok maybe not in the way you debug a C app, but that's because it is a higher level language.

quote:
Microsoft has always been claiming VB should be easy, fast, powerful, still, non of their programs are written in VB.
What has either got to do with the other? VB is _aimed_ for another audiance. That doesn't mean you can't do certain stuff with it.

quote:
VB6 sucks, realize it! It's easier to learn C++ than to hook API's in VB.
sorry but no...

-------

You hate VB6... perfectly fine... But if you want to tell people not to use it, stick to the facts please, instead of old fairy tales and typical hear-say from sworn C users which only shows that you do not know what VB6 can or can't do.

Also, people already directed the top-poster to what he needs. I don't need to post further. My post was to make it clear that what you said about VB6 isn't true at all.

----------

Oh, and I don't see any rude stuff posted in my previous post at all. And I think everybody else would agree. In fact, it is you who just now replied with calling me names. So I don't see either why that previous post triggered the urge to give me a negative reputation.

This post was edited on 03-15-2007 at 09:15 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-15-2007 08:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: RE: [addon made in vb6]3 howto's questions
quote:
quote:
which implies you can't do it in VB6.

You cannot do all kind of features with VB6.

quote:
quote:
VB6 is certainly a 'more unstable language'. It's not made to use Win32 APIs for example.
what has that got to do with "more unstable language". Also, since when is VB6 "not made to use APIs". That's quite frankly totally and utterly wrong. The method and function declarations are especailly made for that.

The "Define Function" statement was added in later versions, because they needed to use WIN32 API, therefore it's not "made" to use APIs.

quote:
quote:

I meant the constants declared in windows.h

quote:
quote:
There's no way to handle pointers.
very old fairy tale used by those who hate VB6. VB6 can handle pointers perfectly.

Well.. That is false! It's not even close to C++.

quote:
quote:
If your program hangs (happens when making addons), you cannot stop it without exiting the whole IDE. And if you forgot to save before you click "Execute/Compile", it's gone.
that has nothing todo with "stability of the language" at all. That has todo with the IDE.

Since VB6 is all built with the IDE, that's the parser etc. Oh also notice my comment between ( and ).

quote:
quote:
you can't debug it any good since the outcome is junk.
??? yes you can. And, ok maybe not in the way you debug a C app, but that's because it is a higher level language.

True, but that is also why you shouldn't use it as a language.

quote:
quote:
Microsoft has always been claiming VB should be easy, fast, powerful, still, non of their programs are written in VB.
What has either got to do with the other? VB is _aimed_ for another audiance. That doesn't mean you can't do certain stuff with it.

quote:
quote:
VB6 sucks, realize it! It's easier to learn C++ than to hook API's in VB.
sorry but no...

Still only possible with another language ActiveX/DLL in VB6.
4 8 15 16 23 42
03-15-2007 02:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: [addon made in vb6]3 howto's questions
quote:
quote:
quote:
The "Define Function" statement was added in later versions, because they needed to use WIN32 API, therefore it's not "made" to use APIs.
Sorry, but that doesn't make much sense though. It is also not true (eg: since VB1 you could call APIs, heck even QB already supported APIs).

quote:
quote:
quote:
I meant the constants declared in windows.h
Even those constants must be defined in C, hence the windows.h file. Don't import that file and your C program wouldn't have a clue either. Add those constants to a file in VB6 and it does support them too just as well.

quote:
but that is also why you shouldn't use it as a language.
and why not? because you hate it? If you recommend using C for this, fine and good. But do not use those arguments you used as those are iether your opinion (which isn't based upon facts) or wrong information.

quote:
Still only possible with another language ActiveX/DLL in VB6.
activex or external DLLs are more convenient, but you still can do without them.

I don't care if you hate VB6 or not, you can hate whatever you want. But please don't talk about stuff you don't know or let that hate dictate your judgement.

This post was edited on 03-15-2007 at 07:30 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-15-2007 07:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: