What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Having trouble with MSN/Live

Having trouble with MSN/Live
Author: Message:
Captain_01

O.P. Having trouble with MSN/Live
*Deep breath*

Okay, about a week ago I was having trouble signing into MSN Messenger (I had 7.5 at the time, and I'd take it over Live any day). It wouldn't sign me in, kept giving me one of those number errors, and although I should have written down what error it was, I was stupid and didn't write it down. I went onto some websites and couldn't find anything that could explain exactly what had happened, but I did find something that said it was probably caused by the server.

A few annoying hours later, the problem solved itself. I was able to sign into MSN messenger. However, about 10 seconds after I signed in, MSN froze and would not unfreeze. I tried signing in several more times with absolutely no change in the result. As soon as the contact list came up, it would freeze. Then it would unfreeze again for about two seconds to let that stupid news window pop up, then freeze again.

I downloaded Live Plus, thinking it might be a problem with MSN 7.5 because it was so outdated. However, the same thing happened, and I can't figure out what it is.

I am able to sign into messenger through Windows Messenger. I am also able to use websites that allow people to sign in under their MSN emails. This tells me that it is probably not a problem with my email. I've also tried signing in under a different email, but it still freezes.

I have checked my firewall settings, checked my internet connection, and ran that useless service status thing on MSN. All appear to be fine. I've also tried re-installing Live several times, but that does not work.

I deleted the "Shared" registry key. This does not work; the key just reappears again. I also deleted the "Policies" registry key for MSN. It has not affected anything.

I've tried resetting my IP, which hasn't helped either. I scanned for viruses and spyware several times, and nothing I've removed has caused a change in the condition of the program.

I am using Windows XP. The MSN version is 8.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any more information is needed, I will give it. =]
03-24-2007 11:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Having trouble with MSN/Live
First to make things clear: you are confusing Messenger Plus! with MSN Messenger and/or Windows Live Messenger.

Messenger Plus! is not a chat client. It is an addon for MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger.

You still are using MSN Messenger and/or Windows Live Messenger. Messenger Plus! only adds some extra functions to it. Messenger Plus! runs on top of MSN Messenger and/or Windows Live Messenger.

So, installing Messenger Plus! is not going to fix any MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger problem.

Neither is this a bug in Messnger Plus! as this has got nothing to do with this.

So this shouldn't be in "Bug Reports for Messenger Plus!" but in "MSN/Windows Live Messenger"...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-25-2007 12:21 AM
Captain_01

O.P. RE: Having trouble with MSN/Live
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that. >_<
03-25-2007 12:25 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Having trouble with MSN/Live
As for your actual problem. That is most likely indeed something todo with the servers. Not much you can do about it.

Though you could try this (follow instructions exactly):
CookieRevised's reply to Contacts problem

If that doesn't work you could try to do a complete and clean re-install by following these instructions to the letter:
CookieRevised's reply to Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!

Try those things, even if you already did them...

After that there is only one thing you could do and that is changing the server you connect to. This could be done with the program you'll find in this post:
Sunshine's reply to AHH I CANT GO ON MSN!

Also, and in any case and no matter what, I would suggest to contact Microsoft about it too so they can fix the problem:
http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger

This post was edited on 03-25-2007 at 12:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-25-2007 12:40 AM
Captain_01

O.P. RE: Having trouble with MSN/Live
*Sigh* Nothing's changed. I tried all three of those and nothing makes a difference. I guess I'll email them and wait for them to tell me the same thing you just did.

Thanks for the help, anyway.
03-25-2007 06:07 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: