What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Injecting plus manually

Injecting plus manually
Author: Message:
Novastar827

O.P. Injecting plus manually
Is it possible to inject plus live directly into the messenger process without using msimg32.dll as a loader? Injecting msimg32.dll directly will not load the menus, nor injecting any of the other dlls. In messenger plus 3, it was trivial, just injecting msgplusloader.dll was sufficient.

why I ask is that plus live has trouble loading within a virtualized thinstall environment, thinstall is an application capable of virtualizing complex applications such as microsoft office 2007, it is capable of virtualizing com components, .net applications, and side by side assemblies without installation, packing them into a single exe which decompresses and operates completely in memory without extracting anything to the disk, with a virtual registry, and filesystem, which operates completely in user mode.

while WLM runs perfectly while thinstalled, when the installation of plus live is captured along with it, plus does not seem to load at all, I've verified it is loading the msimg32.dll provided with plus in the messenger directory, but the menus do not load, I was thinking it'd be easier by side stepping the loader dll, and simply injecting plus directly into the process, this worked perfectly with the old plus, I'm guessing there's some kind of problem with the loader trying to hook itself inside the virtual environment, I thought it might be a problem with detours itself, but several basic tests of detours hooking notepad works perfectly within a thinstall environment, so that's not it, it'd be nice to know a little more on how plus hooks itself into the process, and what might be a good way of approaching this
04-01-2007 05:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Injecting plus manually
Did you read this post?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=71839&page=1

It may help you.

Btw WELCOME!!!
04-01-2007 08:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Novastar827

O.P. RE: RE: Injecting plus manually
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Did you read this post?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=71839&page=1

It may help you.

Btw WELCOME!!!

I actually read that before I posted, but it's not quite the same thing.
04-01-2007 08:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Injecting plus manually
when Plus! loads, it checks some keys in HKLM to know where to find its files. Are you sure your virtualizer emulates those path properly? there shouldn't be any problem as the sole job of msimg32.dll is to load the other DLL. You can email me at mplus@patchou.com and I'll check that out.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-01-2007 05:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: