What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Why do people complain about iTunes?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Why do people complain about iTunes?
Author: Message:
absorbation
Elite Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 3636
Reputation: 81
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Feb 2005
RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
It's not Apple's fault with the restrictions, Steve Jobs hates them, hence the deal he made with EMI as Cookie mentioned.

iTunes is now a great media player. It is so user friendly, it takes so many things into account when using features which makes the player so much easier to use than others It also has a very modern approach, other media players are becoming bloated, Apple has tided up the program for 1.7 and I can see why it works. It's now my favourite media player :).

This post was edited on 04-08-2007 at 11:28 AM by absorbation.
04-08-2007 11:27 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 2598
Reputation: 38
33 / Male / Flag
Joined: Feb 2003
RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
Microsoft has followed suit with DRM free music.

I think most of the complaints are actually moot points...

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Another effect of it being proprietory is that it will only connect with your portable media player if you use an IPod. By design, Apple prefer's it to be the only software that will connect with IPods, but others have made software that connects with IPods as well.

That isn't quite true, you can drag and drop files like you can in Windows Explorer, so although its not as swish as you might like it to be, you can drag music files onto a standard flash based dime a dozen mp3 player.

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I'm Mac style, ITunes only lets you have one music library, other software lets you keep multiple libraries (keep one for your own music, one for your parents music etc). Each library has it's own tracks, ratings, play counters. Songs can be in multiple libraries at once.

to be honest, that is a very specialised feature, and one which most people wouldn't really benefit from.

The only complaints I have is the memory it uses, with a large library, it can sometimes feel a bit sluggish and sometimes after a song plays, my computer grinds to a halt for a few seconds before the next song plays.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London New York Paris
Est. 1989
04-08-2007 12:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner
****

Avatar
Who love the chocolate?

Posts: 691
Reputation: 26
35 / Male / –
Joined: May 2004
Status: Away
RE: (Why) ITunes is Bad.
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I'm Mac style, ITunes only lets you have one music library, other software lets you keep multiple libraries (keep one for your own music, one for your parents music etc). Each library has it's own tracks, ratings, play counters. Songs can be in multiple libraries at once.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304447

(Hold down shift (windows) / option (mac) when starting iTunes to change library)

Going back to the main point of the thread... At the end of the day, use the software you want.  If it works for you, it works for you.  You don't have to let other peoples gripes get in the way of how you want to use your computer.
04-08-2007 04:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 3504
Reputation: 49
– / – / Flag
Joined: Jul 2005
Status: Away
RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
that's why media monkey >*
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
04-08-2007 04:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
joemailey
Full Member
***

Avatar

Posts: 291
Reputation: 9
36 / Male / –
Joined: Jan 2006
RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
I don't complain about Itunes althou i do do complain about ipods.

I like my mp3 player to work like a memory stick/usb pen/pen drive. Plug it in use like external harddrive copy stuff on copy stuff of. can't do that with ipods. only allow to use itunes to sync ur library very annoying.

lol

archos MP3 players i love.
04-10-2007 12:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar
i have an avatar

Posts: 1419
Reputation: 29
33 / Male / Flag
Joined: Aug 2003
RE: RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Microsoft has followed suit with DRM free music.

I think most of the complaints are actually moot points...

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Another effect of it being proprietory is that it will only connect with your portable media player if you use an IPod. By design, Apple prefer's it to be the only software that will connect with IPods, but others have made software that connects with IPods as well.

That isn't quite true, you can drag and drop files like you can in Windows Explorer, so although its not as swish as you might like it to be, you can drag music files onto a standard flash based dime a dozen mp3 player.
You could drag and drop files onto a UMS without ITunes anyway. ITunes won't connect to the player, you have to move the files yourself.

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I'm Mac style, ITunes only lets you have one music library, other software lets you keep multiple libraries (keep one for your own music, one for your parents music etc). Each library has it's own tracks, ratings, play counters. Songs can be in multiple libraries at once.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304447

(Hold down shift (windows) / option (mac) when starting iTunes to change library)
Now that I know that, ITunes only lets you use one library simultaneously, and switching libraries is difficult.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-11-2007 12:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 2317
Reputation: 48
– / – / Flag
Joined: Feb 2005
Status: Away
RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
made by apple. i wont say anything else.

(btw winamp > *)
04-11-2007 12:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar
Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

Posts: 1226
Reputation: 39
31 / Male / Flag
Joined: Jun 2006
Status: Away
RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
I like my mp3 player to work like a memory stick/usb pen/pen drive. Plug it in use like external harddrive copy stuff on copy stuff of. can't do that with ipods.
Yes you can, well at least I can with my iPod mini. I don't even use it as an mp3 player now. Thats what my SE w810i is for.
04-11-2007 12:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar
i have an avatar

Posts: 1419
Reputation: 29
33 / Male / Flag
Joined: Aug 2003
RE: RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
I like my mp3 player to work like a memory stick/usb pen/pen drive. Plug it in use like external harddrive copy stuff on copy stuff of. can't do that with ipods.
Yes you can, well at least I can with my iPod mini. I don't even use it as an mp3 player now. Thats what my SE w810i is for.

You can copy stuff to an IPod connected to a PC as a UMS device, but the IPod won't play it (unlike the Sony Ericsson, which will play regardless of Disc2Phone being used or not). The IPod will only play if the music has been added to an ITunes library and then synced to the IPod.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-11-2007 01:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 1707
Reputation: 24
32 / Male / Flag
Joined: Mar 2003
RE: Why do people complain about iTunes?
I love iTunes, and use it every day. I was also one of the first of my friends to own an iPod, (g3) so that may tell you something.
The biggest complaints I see are about the quality of the built in mp3 ripping engine, and the audio playback engine. I'd say the interface is beautiful, and drag and drop makes it easy to add music to my w810i.
04-11-2007 03:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »


Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread:

Forum Jump:

Forum Rules:
You cannot post new threads
You cannot post replies
You cannot post attachments
You can edit your posts
HTML is Off
myCode is On
Smilies are On
[img] Code is On