What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Wireless help

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Wireless help
Author: Message:
KJ1

O.P. Undecided  Wireless help
Ok i need some help, i have got a Netgear 54mbps wireless modem router DG834G v3, and i can get it to work when wired up all fine but if i want it wirless i can conect to it but not the internet anyone know why, im using a belkin 802.11g usb to try and connect to the wireless router any help please.

THanks KJ.

Ps. using XP.
04-09-2007 03:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
RE: Wireless help
have you configured the router yet?

to configure
1. in a browser window type the ip adress given on the bottom of the router
2. type in the username and password given also on the bottom of the router (ussally admin and password)
3. follow the setup guide 
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-09-2007 04:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
KJ1

O.P. RE: Wireless help
I configued it on a disc that came with teh router for AOL. THen the next setp was to make it wireless it says take the yellow cable enphernet(SP!). ANd then it says it can not find my usb wireless stick. And will not go any futher, but i can get my usb stick to work, etc.

EDIT: just tried the ip http://192.18.0.1/, that says page can not be displayed.

This post was edited on 04-09-2007 at 04:24 PM by KJ1.
04-09-2007 04:22 PM
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
so what you are saying is that
1. AOL send you a router ( not the netgear one!) and you configured that router and had ti all working fine, you then decided to upgrade the router so you got a netgear one.

2. AOL send you the netgear router, and you have neever had it working yet?

also try putting the USB stick into another USB port, or try to configure it on another computer if posible.

you need to expain what you mean.

EDIT :
quote:
Originally posted by KJ1
EDIT: just tried the ip http://192.18.0.1/, that says page can not be displayed.

take away the http:// and it should be 198.168.0.1 and there should be no forward slash at the end

This post was edited on 04-09-2007 at 04:30 PM by Ptoye.
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-09-2007 04:26 PM
KJ1

O.P. RE: Wireless help
No i had a AOL, modem, then i got a AOL wireless router, but can get it to work having it wired, but as soon as i go wireless with that router it does not work.

I have just spoke to my anut and she says try to ring AOL, as she had to have something done there end, do you think this is what is wrong ???
04-09-2007 04:32 PM
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
well i dont understand what you mean by 'the router wont work as soon as you go wireless'. i think you mean that it won't work when trying to use wireless, the router still works but only with wired.

does the laptop/computer pick up the wireless? have you created a network yet?

phoneing AOL i do not think will fix it, they will have stupid computers that you talk to and are probly shut now. you could try but i do not think it will fix it. there is some setting or something that you must not have done yet.

explain FULLY  what is wrong. if you get error message, tell us what it says ect...
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-09-2007 04:37 PM
KJ1

O.P. RE: RE: Wireless help
quote:
i think you mean that it won't work when trying to use wireless, the router still works but only with wired.
Yer that is what i mean sorry.

quote:
does the laptop/computer pick up the wireless?

Yes it does.

quote:
have you created a network yet?

How you mean ??

The main problem is the top bit.
04-09-2007 04:40 PM
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
Go on a computer with a wired connection to the router and enter http://192.168.0.1/ into the address bar of the web browser.

Some router need to have the wireless switched on on them, so look for a wireless menu and set-up the options on there.

A router make and model number would help.
04-10-2007 08:40 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
A router make and model number would help.
He has that in his first post, Netgear DG834G v3

quote:
Originally posted by KJ1
i have got a Netgear 54mbps wireless modem router DG834G v3
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-10-2007 09:18 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Wireless help
quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
quote:
Originally posted by KJ1
take away the http:// and it should be 198.168.0.1 and there should be no forward slash at the end
Actually, the "http://" prefix and "/" suffix should be there, and any decent web browser will add it in if you don't. The IP address for the router is more likely to be 192.168.0.1 than 192.18.0.1 or 198.168.0.1 but I'll assume that you've both made typos in your post.

quote:
Originally posted by KJ1
No i had a AOL, modem, then i got a AOL wireless router, but can get it to work having it wired, but as soon as i go wireless with that router it does not work.
Do you have an AOL modem(/router/wireless access point) or a Netgear?

quote:
Originally posted by KJ1
I have just spoke to my anut and she says try to ring AOL, as she had to have something done there end, do you think this is what is wrong ???
It really only should be something on their if you're not using network address translation (nat), since they probably only have one IP address for you, and the first computer is taking it. Using nat solves the problem. I can't think of any other reason for you being able to access the internet only with a wired connection to your router.

You said that your second computer picks up the access point. Does it only list it as available, or does it actually connect to it? Connection won't be automatic to secure networks.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-10-2007 09:47 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: