What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [Help!] Startup Problems

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[Help!] Startup Problems
Author: Message:
rob_botch

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Help!] Startup Problems
Hi all!

My computer has recently been gradually developing a problem at startup, and I wondered if anyone would be able to offer any help? When I (or any other users) log on, my wallpaper appears, but no taskbar, Start menu, icons etc. To get these to appear, I have to use the Task Manager to manually end and restart explorer.exe. Even then, some startup programs (e.g., Windows Live Messenger and programs in the Startup folder) do not load. In the past it has been possible to open Windows Media Player to get these to load, but this no longer works. I find this whole problem very odd. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Thank you in advance
04-16-2007 08:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Help!] Startup Problems
try a windows repair

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

04-19-2007 01:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Verte

Yuck!

If you have a system restore setup [2k onwards you probably do] it might be worth a try. If you press f8 before Windows gets to the graphical loading bar, you should be able to get to the system restore menu. Otherwise it's probably a registry issue, and you may need to repair it. You could probably replace the kernel somehow and see how that goes, too.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 07:16 AM
rob_botch

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Help!] Startup Problems
Thanks for your suggestions. However, I do have one or two problems: I don't have a full version of Windows on CD, just a restore disk, and System Restore won't work. I have already tried this with no success.I actually think that this problem is more concerned with malware. I have run several anti-spyware scans which have found but failed to remove infected files.
04-20-2007 07:44 AM
Verte

Heh, do you remember what those files were? You might be able to replace them by hand, assuming you know someone who has a working OS the same version as yours.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 07:57 AM
rob_botch

33 / Male / Flag
I don't think that specific system files were mentioned, just names of malware. Some of these I remember: Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888, WinAntiVirusPro 2006, Virtumonde
04-20-2007 08:00 AM
Verte

RE: RE: [Help!] Startup Problems
quote:
Originally posted by rob_botch
I don't think that specific system files were mentioned, just names of malware. Some of these I remember: Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888, WinAntiVirusPro 2006, Virtumonde

I had some horrible persistent malware once, ETremover can be good for that stuff. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas [beyond "hey, they're giving away Ubuntu CDs now, might be worth the effort".]

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 08:17 AM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
What OS are you running? (and please, state every version number of Service pack where possible)
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
04-20-2007 09:36 AM
rob_botch

33 / Male / Flag
Windows XP Media Center Edition, English US, SP2, all auto updates are installed.
04-20-2007 09:44 AM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
Okay, i can't see anything wrong there...
Oh, and btw, what are your system specs?
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
04-20-2007 11:07 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: