What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » gaim integration / msg+ protocol

gaim integration / msg+ protocol
Author: Message:
Verte

O.P. gaim integration / msg+ protocol
Hey!

I was a very happy Messenger Plus user for many years. Whenever I sat down at a machine without Messenger Plus, I found it too awkward to use. Anyway, I've a reasonably old machine, so much so that newer msns consume too many cycles somehow to actually be doing anything useful while chatting and surfing. After a while I switched to Unix and gaim, which runs a lot faster, perhaps because of the better swap system.

Gaim has a lot of nifty msg+ like features, but it's not quite the same. I'd like to have more msg+y features, but without reverse engineering or packet sniffing, neither of which I have experience with, I don't know how to go about building that integration in. Does anyone know if there's anything published concerning the format of the msg+ text formating and such? Or anything else published concerning msg+ for that matter?
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-19-2007 09:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: gaim integration / msg+ protocol
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Gaim has a lot of nifty msg+ like features, but it's not quite the same. I'd like to have more msg+y features, but without reverse engineering or packet sniffing, neither of which I have experience with, I don't know how to go about building that integration in. Does anyone know if there's anything published concerning the format of the msg+ text formating and such?
I don't see what there is to reverse engineer or otherwise learn from Plus! for your stated purpose.  There might be something to learn from how Plus! interfaces to Messenger if you were looking to create another add-on for Messenger/Windows, but to extend an open source IM client with similar features, you should just take the current Gaim source code as your starting point, familiarize yourself with it, and add the features you want. 

Under GPL, you can always distribute your extended version independently (as long as you provide the source code).  You can also look into offering your extensions as a source code patch (which users can apply to the current Gaim source tree before they build it), or see if the developer(s) of Gaim will simply accept your work for inclusion in the next release.
04-19-2007 03:04 PM
Verte

O.P. RE: RE: gaim integration / msg+ protocol
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Gaim has a lot of nifty msg+ like features, but it's not quite the same. I'd like to have more msg+y features, but without reverse engineering or packet sniffing, neither of which I have experience with, I don't know how to go about building that integration in. Does anyone know if there's anything published concerning the format of the msg+ text formating and such?
I don't see what there is to reverse engineer or otherwise learn from Plus! for your stated purpose.  There might be something to learn from how Plus! interfaces to Messenger if you were looking to create another add-on for Messenger/Windows, but to extend an open source IM client with similar features, you should just take the current Gaim source code as your starting point, familiarize yourself with it, and add the features you want. 

Under GPL, you can always distribute your extended version independently (as long as you provide the source code).  You can also look into offering your extensions as a source code patch (which users can apply to the current Gaim source tree before they build it), or see if the developer(s) of Gaim will simply accept your work for inclusion in the next release.

It's not how Plus! interfaces to messenger that's the thing- more how Plus! extends the messenger API. For example, what actually gets sent when trying to execute a change of font colour or /me.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 06:31 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:

It's not how Plus! interfaces to messenger that's the thing- more how Plus! extends the messenger API. For example, what actually gets sent when trying to execute a change of font colour or /me.
You might want to take a look at Pai's Xniff to find out what gets sent and how. Note that you'll probably need a windows (virtual) machine to use it.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
04-20-2007 10:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

O.P. RE: gaim integration / msg+ protocol
ty

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 01:33 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus

You might want to take a look at Pai's Xniff to find out what gets sent and how. Note that you'll probably need a windows (virtual) machine to use it.

you mean an emulator?

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
04-20-2007 04:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
quote:

you mean an emulator?

Not really, a VM will work just fine.

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 04:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
you don't need any VM at all... Just run Xniff, configure it properly and you'll see anything you need.

In fact, you don't need Xniff either.

Messenger Plus!'s features have for 99,99% nothing to do with the protocol or sending/recieving stuff. Only the colors, and a few other things like /me, /ping and custom sounds use have something todo with sending stuff, all the rest is pure and only Messenger hooking and manipulating of windows.

And the special charactes used and reconized by Plus! for colors and such things is also already well explained in many posts around the forums though...

In fact, if you simply use Messenger's own logging you can see everything you need to see as far as those special formatting characters goes, custom sounds, etc, etc, etc.

;)

This post was edited on 04-20-2007 at 05:12 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-20-2007 05:10 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
you don't need any VM at all... Just run Xniff, configure it properly and you'll see anything you need.

I was mentioning it because Verte said he is using Unix... I don't think Xniff works on Unix
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
04-20-2007 05:17 PM
Verte

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

I was mentioning it because Verte said he is using Unix... I don't think Xniff works on Unix

Correct- it requires a running MS TCP/IP stack if I'm not mistaken, therefore win32 API [such as wine] is not enough, you need a full Windows instance running.

Thanks heaps though Cookie- that's nice and easy.

-andrewdodd13
04-21-2007 11:55 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: