What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista Administrator Account (revealed)

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Vista Administrator Account (revealed)
Author: Message:
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Vista Administrator Account (revealed)
i didn't post this information to make you do anything, you dont have to do anything you dont want to do:p this is only for people who didn't know about it and want to use it either now or the near future and to unlock the real administrator account and use it as there primary ;)

This post was edited on 04-22-2007 at 09:14 AM by Wally.
Careful don't summon the fail whale.
04-22-2007 09:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Vista Administrator Account (revealed)
I wasn't complaining :P

Just stating my opinion =p
[Image: jumbled.png]
04-22-2007 09:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: Vista Administrator Account (revealed)
quote:
Originally posted by M73A
i dont have vista... but whats the difference between an xp admin account and a vista admin account :S

Nothing. The difference is that Vista doesn't let people run as admin by default. This is the default behaviour of most operating systems, and those operating systems usually have mechanisms for doing more privileged things that are fairly straightforward. The reason for this is it stops unauthorised software installing itself on your computer or changing your settings.

You can still run as administrator, just like in XP- but you'd have to know that you really want to do that rather than have it work that way by default. This is sort of good, because it keeps people who don't know that much about computers, or people on a friend's computer, from installing malware by accident [to a degree]. Further, UAC was designed so people didn't have to run as admin just to install software- this made many people abandon their regular accounts.

[If you want to see how UAC should have been designed, google gksu].
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-22-2007 09:30 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kao
UAC in Control Panel > User Accounts
that's all it takes.. no need for another account...
quote:
Originally posted by wally
security
i'd call it annoying crap.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
04-23-2007 01:50 AM
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Vista Administrator Account (revealed)
quote:
security

thanks i couldn't have said it better :P (Y)
Careful don't summon the fail whale.
04-23-2007 06:29 AM
kezz

'kezz.,

32 / Male / Flag
on the topic of Vista, but off the topic of Admin Acc's

should i bother with getting Vista now in its infancy or wait until it matures a bit. ive heard stories of unreliability with some programs that i use...
^o)^o)^o)
[Image: 2764.png]
[Image: internet.png]
04-23-2007 09:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

quote:
Originally posted by Kezzinator29
on the topic of Vista, but off the topic of Admin Acc's

should i bother with getting Vista now in its infancy or wait until it matures a bit. ive heard stories of unreliability with some programs that i use...
^o)^o)^o)

As far as I see it, you upgrade to Vista for one or more of two reasons:
1. XP's default theme has strange side effects on you.
2. You NEED DirectseX 10.

Otherwise, your money can probably be better spent elsewhere. The price of Vista will get you a pretty swish hard drive, or quite a bit of net bandwidth. Not to mention the time and effort you will save on NOT being a full time beta tester.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-23-2007 01:04 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kao
You can disable UAC in Control Panel > User Accounts aswell, don't need to use msconfig, JA ;p
Yes but msconfig is leeter. And once I install the OS, I install all the apps I need, then goto msconfig to clean up my startup, disable UAC then reboot.
Its all done in 1 reboot. One nice smooth flow so :P I have to goto msconfig anyway so might as well disable it from there while I'm there =p

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
security
Who cares what you'd call it. Its meant for security. It is annoying is another point all together. Microsoft have accepted that the UAC system isn't exactly what they wanted it to be. I'm not a linux expert but I think MS was going with the root user system of linux. In linux, users have normal accessibility but when you login as root, you can do anything, kinda like opening a program in elevated mode. Else even though you're an admin, vista runs the app in normal user mode.
IMO that's fine. That is what it is supposed to do. If you hate that feature, I don't know what you think about linux :P What's irritating is the fact that it has to annoy you with requests for doing a small action multiple times. An action as simple as pasting a file in a folder under Program Files requires a single, sometimes multiple, authorisation(s). That's what's irritating to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
You would need a DX10 compatible card for that and I must say, if you have that, you've spent a bit too much money anyway so might as well get vista :refuck: Seriously, a NVIDIA 8800 GTX is just too costly. Last I checked, all DX10 compatible cards were. So you really should be waiting.
Vista, imo is pretty good. I like Vista at release way way more than xp at release. If you have the hardware to run vista perfectly, you could give it a shot imo :P

quote:
Not to mention the time and effort you will save on NOT being a full time beta tester.
No operating system is perfect. Xp had way more bugs in the first 90 days (as shown by a Microsoft employee) than Vista. Vista isn't evil. I don't understand why people think it is :S
"My apps don't work :(" Well when you moved from Windows 98 (hopefully not ME :P) to XP, people said the same about their apps/games not being compatible. I still have quite a few games that don't work unless compatibility mode enabled. Those games are 8 or so years old. So? At xp's release, those games/apps were 2-3 years old. So why can't you expect vista to bitch about games/apps 2-3 year old games/apps? Tbh all you need is to update your game. A simple update patch does the trick and that too is rarely needed. I only needed it once out of all the games I have in my collection :)
If companies/creators are too lazy to update their applications/softwares/whatever then they are the ones that are responsible, not the operating system imo. For me, a developer is supposed to keep up with the change in the market and not the other way around.
These are my views and I may be wrong. Feel free to point out where I made mistakes :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-23-2007 01:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by kao
You can disable UAC in Control Panel > User Accounts aswell, don't need to use msconfig, JA ;p
Yes but msconfig is leeter. And once I install the OS, I install all the apps I need, then goto msconfig to clean up my startup, disable UAC then reboot.
Its all done in 1 reboot. One nice smooth flow so :P I have to goto msconfig anyway so might as well disable it from there while I'm there =p

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
security
Who cares what you'd call it. Its meant for security. It is annoying is another point all together. Microsoft have accepted that the UAC system isn't exactly what they wanted it to be. I'm not a linux expert but I think MS was going with the root user system of linux. In linux, users have normal accessibility but when you login as root, you can do anything, kinda like opening a program in elevated mode. Else even though you're an admin, vista runs the app in normal user mode.
IMO that's fine. That is what it is supposed to do. If you hate that feature, I don't know what you think about linux :P What's irritating is the fact that it has to annoy you with requests for doing a small action multiple times. An action as simple as pasting a file in a folder under Program Files requires a single, sometimes multiple, authorisation(s). That's what's irritating to me.

As I mentioned earlier, the Linux system is quite different. Most functionality can be done without root access, although many programs still require it. However, it's very easy to grant root access to a whole terminal, and then do all such things in this terminal [if you're doing a lot of installs, or fixing user accounts, say]. As a better example, opening the Linux settings and changing them requires one validation, just one.

quote:
quote:
You would need a DX10 compatible card for that and I must say, if you have that, you've spent a bit too much money anyway so might as well get vista :refuck: Seriously, a NVIDIA 8800 GTX is just too costly. Last I checked, all DX10 compatible cards were. So you really should be waiting.
Vista, imo is pretty good. I like Vista at release way way more than xp at release. If you have the hardware to run vista perfectly, you could give it a shot imo :P

If you're the sort of person who will be inconvenienced by apps breaking, and you can go without the new Vista features until SP1, there's no reason to spend the money now. IMHO DX10 may be the major drawcard for Vista- most of the other improvements are more stable in other OS's anyway.

quote:
quote:
Not to mention the time and effort you will save on NOT being a full time beta tester.
No operating system is perfect. Xp had way more bugs in the first 90 days (as shown by a Microsoft employee) than Vista. Vista isn't evil. I don't understand why people think it is :S
"My apps don't work :(" Well when you moved from Windows 98 (hopefully not ME :P) to XP, people said the same about their apps/games not being compatible. I still have quite a few games that don't work unless compatibility mode enabled. Those games are 8 or so years old. So? At xp's release, those games/apps were 2-3 years old. So why can't you expect vista to bitch about games/apps 2-3 year old games/apps? Tbh all you need is to update your game. A simple update patch does the trick and that too is rarely needed. I only needed it once out of all the games I have in my collection :)
If companies/creators are too lazy to update their applications/softwares/whatever then they are the ones that are responsible, not the operating system imo. For me, a developer is supposed to keep up with the change in the market and not the other way around.
These are my views and I may be wrong. Feel free to point out where I made mistakes :)

I'm not saying it could or even should work perfectly- bugs are a part of life. There were some serious API changes between the 5.2 and 6.0 kernels, and it makes sense that some side effects will come of that. I'm just saying, if having your computer Just Work is more important to you than Aero and monolithic app integration, it might be worth saving the jump until the code has had time to settle.

-andrewdodd13
04-23-2007 02:35 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:

You do? Since when? There's nothing on the market that makes any use of Direct3D10 yet

Gotta say I love your way of saying DirectX.. DirectseX lol

quote:
You would need a DX10 compatible card for that and I must say, if you have that, you've spent a bit too much money anyway so might as well get vista  Seriously, a NVIDIA 8800 GTX is just too costly. Last I checked, all DX10 compatible cards were.

Not anymore! Since nVidia launched 8500 GT, 8600 GT and GTS (April 17th) Direct3D10 became affordable :).. However, ATi is yet to answer.. They've delayed their cards for so long that nobody believes them lol

This post was edited on 04-23-2007 at 09:27 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
04-23-2007 09:22 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: