What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » suggestion - since Im no coder

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
suggestion - since Im no coder
Author: Message:
E521

O.P. Huh?  suggestion - since Im no coder
I was wondering, I get really bitchy when I have to open up a window to type in a Msg+ command.  More so cos I'm finding that when I really need to do a Msg+ command, the person I am forced to open up a window with - I really dont want to talk to anyways.

So I was wondering if it was possible if someone was able to [for example] create a input box that would go near the toolbar with the other icons (Inbox -  Windows Live Today - Colour Scheme - Msg + Live - Scripts).

This would then allow for the like of "/brb - leave me alone I'm not here"

Any ideas?
04-27-2007 06:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: suggestion - since Im no coder
But most of the commands' aim is easing operations about contacts and to be able to write a command while chatting with someone help Plus! users. So isn't it useless to have a seperate window whose sole aim is to type a command. For example if you want to change your status and if currently don't have any open chat window, you can easily change it through WLM's systray icon.
04-27-2007 05:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
I suggest adding some /commands (like /brb) to the search box under the main toolbar. Like attached screenshot:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=812299]

.jpg File Attachment: suggestion.jpg (5.22 KB)
This file has been downloaded 547 time(s).

This post was edited on 04-27-2007 at 09:26 PM by vikke.
4 8 15 16 23 42
04-27-2007 09:24 PM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
vikkie, but the problem on doing this is that the box you showed is from WLM and not for Plus!.
Another thing: If you want to write "/brb" on the contact list, I think is easyer to select the status (clicking) than writing...
;)
04-27-2007 09:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by E521
I was wondering, I get really bitchy when I have to open up a window to type in a Msg+ command.  More so cos I'm finding that when I really need to do a Msg+ command, the person I am forced to open up a window with - I really dont want to talk to anyways.

So I was wondering if it was possible if someone was able to [for example] create a input box that would go near the toolbar with the other icons (Inbox -  Windows Live Today - Colour Scheme - Msg + Live - Scripts).
This is actually a very (extremely) old suggestion...

I think there are more people who would like something like this to use commands which aren't directly related to conversations.

Although, and for now, you could add a bot(°) to your contactlist. There is a big list of bots and the main advantage of them is that they are always online. So you could easly quickly open a convo with those to enter a command. This is what everybody else does as a 'solution'.

Although it must be said that the use of almost all commands isn't exactly frequent (strange sentence :p). What I mean is that there aren't much commands which require a big frequent use. And many functions the commands can do, can also be found in the menus. So I guess this is one of the reasons why such a box wasn't added yet (among other reasons). But it is indeed annoying when you must use a command (which doesn't have a menu entry somewhere) and you have a small contactlist with nobody online to open a conversation with.

(°) eg:
http://www.robotinvaders.com/main/Gallery.aspx
http://www.mensmerk.nl/chatbots.html
etc...

;)

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
But most of the commands' aim is easing operations about contacts and to be able to write a command while chatting with someone help Plus! users.
The issue is not that commands exist, why they exist or what their use it.

The issue is how to use commands when no contact is online.

quote:
For example if you want to change your status and if currently don't have any open chat window, you can easily change it through WLM's systray icon.
quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
Another thing: If you want to write "/brb" on the contact list, I think is easyer to select the status (clicking) than writing... ;)
Changing the status is only an example. There are a lot more commands...

quote:
vikkie, but the problem on doing this is that the box you showed is from WLM and not for Plus!.
Which can be hooked by Plus!.

Using the contactwheel for this is actually not a bad idea in my opinion. Though, on the condition that you could still search contacts with it, and ofcourse also searching on names etc which start or include the character "/".

Or maybe a second box, dedicated to Plus! only, next to the contactwheel...

now that scripts are possible... There is also a way to script something like this. But it would require a dodgy(!!) way of having a window always on top on the contactlist and constantly polling (which is extremely dodgy and a crap method) its position. Together with a (dedicated, so it can be hidden for example) bot, this could ease the requirement to open a temporary convo each time.

This post was edited on 04-28-2007 at 01:56 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-28-2007 01:49 AM
MicroWay

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:

Which can be hooked by Plus!.

Using the contactwheel for this is actually not a bad idea in my opinion. Though, on the condition that you could still search contacts with it, and ofcourse also searching on names etc which start or include the character "/".
:$:$:$!!!
Sorry, Cookie and vikkie -> didn't thought Plus! could do it...
And sorry, because I "forgot" other comands (I just followed the example given)... :S
I'm starting to think that enabling de comands on the search bar of WLM contact List is a great idea... (Y)

quote:
Or maybe a second box, dedicated to Plus! only, next to the contactwheel...
Actualy nice idea too, but comparing ideas, I would like most the first one (using the Search Bar)..

This post was edited on 04-28-2007 at 02:12 AM by MicroWay.
04-28-2007 02:10 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: suggestion - since Im no coder
quote:
I know. I think you again replied without understanding my point.

quote:
The issue is how to use commands when no contact is online.
by Offline Messaging

quote:
Changing the status is only an example. There are a lot more commands...
77 commands total.
   18 built-in sounds commands.
   8 status-related commands.
   15 script commands.
Built-in sounds can only be sent during a conversation. Changing status and running scripts can be done through contact list without any need to write a command.
Others are:

These are the ones which require an open conversation window directly. /assist   /close   /call   /webcam   /emoticon   /find    /font   /invite   /logging   /me   /noformat   /noicon  /nudge   /ping   /wink
So these commands can't be the reason to have a command box on Contact List.

These others
/all: requires some open conversation windows already

/displaypic,/emails,/lock,/block,/unblock,/mobile,/msg,/notif,/profile,/persostat,/prefs,/ctcinfo,/received,/sendmail,/psm: is easier through Contact List.

So these are left. Is it worth to have a box for only these 5 commands?
/name -  /run - /script - /sendfile -  /viewlog   
04-28-2007 04:21 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: suggestion - since Im no coder
quote:
quote:
I know. I think you again replied without understanding my point.
I think you didn't understand what I replied to. You said that commands are made for the ease of the user when he is in a conversation. That is completely besides the point the topposter was making.

As for the commands, the textbox wouldn't be usefull_only_ for the commands which don't require a conversation with an online person. It can also be usefull when there are conversations open already. It is obviously not limited to be used only when you don't have a conversation open. You are also forgetting that scripts can have commands too. And people might find typing in a command easier than using menus (especailly with some commands).

Your list of commands you gave to make your point is also not complete...

Before you say I don't understand the issue, thing again yourself and consider _all_ the points.

This post was edited on 04-28-2007 at 09:35 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-28-2007 09:25 AM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: suggestion - since Im no coder
quote:
Another thing: If you want to write "/brb" on the contact list, I think is easyer to select the status (clicking) than writing...
;)

So is the chat box. /brb was just an example, it could have been /all or anything else.
4 8 15 16 23 42
05-11-2007 02:16 PM
MicroWay

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: suggestion - since Im no coder
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
quote:
;)

So is the chat box. /brb was just an example, it could have been /all or anything else.

As I've said...
quote:
And sorry, because I "forgot" other comands (I just followed the example given)...
;)

Anyway: Is this idea going to be made???

This post was edited on 05-11-2007 at 08:18 PM by MicroWay.
05-11-2007 08:17 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: