What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Do I need any special settings? (Two routers)

Do I need any special settings? (Two routers)
Author: Message:
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
O.P. Do I need any special settings? (Two routers)
I want to know if I need to have any special settings to have two routers hooked up.  (one hooked upto the main internet line, the second hooked up to the first)

I need this because my house has really think adobe walls, and I can't get a signal worth a shit outside, so I wanna put a second wireless router on my porch.

(and because I'm bored, visual aid)

[Image: diagram.png]
[Image: Sentinel.png]
04-29-2007 01:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: Do I need any special settings? (Two routers)
probably just set up the outside router to use the DHCP server of the inside router, and you should be in business by my guess.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-29-2007 02:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

If you just do what Verte said, which is the simple way, it will work for the most part, but it's not the right way to do it.  You will end up with network address translation (NAT) occuring twice, which will make manual port forwarding a nightmare and UPnP port forwarding not work at all.  Many applications won't be affected (e.g. web browsers), but others will.

A better way to do it is using a wireless range extender.  This is a different device although they look a lot like a router, cost about the same, and are made by all the same manufacturers.  The advantage of extenders is that they are fully transparent -- you won't need to connect to a different wireless network outside, it will just work uninterrupted as you move around.

It is also possible to do it your way and avoid the double NAT issues if you use an access point (WAP) instead of a router for the second device.  A WAP is only a wireless bridge and does not route, so it is actually a simpler device than wireless routers (which are a router + WAP).  Once again, all the same manufacturers offer WAPs.  If you do this, moving between the devices won't be seamless and you need to set one up for channel 1 and the other for channel 11 (or higher, if available in your country), to avoid mutual interference.

If you already have a router you want to use, it can be configured to act as a simple WAP.  To do that, disable the router's DHCP server and connect the uplink to one of the LAN ports, instead of the WAN port.  If you need any help with that, feel free to PM me your Messenger address and we will find some time to do that.

Overall, my recommendation would be to buy an extender.
04-29-2007 04:32 AM
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Do I need any special settings? (Two routers)
I'm going to be doing this with a Fon router (being the one outside).  I just need to put the DD-WRT firmware on it, which I can't do till tuesday (my day off).  If I have any troubles, I'll hit you up then.

As for my MSN, it's "dragon_rage3588@yahoo.com".
04-29-2007 05:50 AM
Adeptus

Great.  I am fairly sure DD-WRT has an extender mode, so that is how you should try to set it up.
04-29-2007 05:07 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
You should just buy a Access Point, that's a device that just makes the signal wireless.
[Image: 1-0.png]

04-29-2007 06:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
The router in my house is wireless, but like I said, my walls are so thick, that I can't get a signal outside.
04-29-2007 07:12 PM
Val

30 / Other / Flag
RE: RE: Do I need any special settings? (Two routers)
quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
I'm going to be doing this with a Fon router (being the one outside).  I just need to put the DD-WRT firmware on it, which I can't do till tuesday (my day off).  If I have any troubles, I'll hit you up then.

As for my MSN, it's "dragon_rage3588@yahoo.com".

I think that violates the Terms of Services on which you got that FON. I think all of the FON features will be gone, so it will be a waste for giving it to you. I remember reading that you wont be able to flash the firmware for whatever reason, but I don't really know.
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
04-30-2007 01:14 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
I can't seem to get DD-WRT on it.  Every time I try and enable SSH, I get some Invalid Value error.  It's using the original firmware (0.7.1 r2) so I don't see what the problem is.
05-02-2007 12:12 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: