What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Messenger Lock staying enabled

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Messenger Lock staying enabled
Author: Message:
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
1- Firstly, Plus! should be programmed for locking Messenger only when signed in i.e. if you click on "Lock Messenger" from Plus! menu it should display a window saying like this: 'You must be signed-in to lock Messenger', (but if Messenger tries to sign you in again after a connection failure, then it should be able to be locked whenever needed). Because some sadist people like me, :), can lock Messenger with a password on a public computer in a school or internet cafe and then go away from there. Also it is meaningless to lock Messenger when not signed-in, isn't it?
So basically, your point here is just that you're wicked and that YOU don't see any use for it. Note that it may not be the case for everyone.

quote:
Similarly signing out when locking messenger sounds unnecessary too. Instead, sign out option can be replaced with 'Close Messenger fully'[of course when you want to run Messenger again after closing it by locking, it shouldn't ask a password or anything, it should be run normally from the Start menu, all messenger lock protections should be disabled after closing it]. However currently your current chat windows can remain opened if you sign out when locking messenger and when unlocked you can continue to chat with those contacts; but people can use 'Appear Offline' option instead of Sign Out from messenger, in practical.
Again, what's the problem with having multiple choices? If you don't like it, then just don't use it. And if it's true that signing out does not close conversation windows, don't forget that with WLM people can still talk to you even when you're appearing offline. Hence the point in signing out, as CookieRevised said.
About the idea of terminating messenger, why not, but you don't need a feature to do that... A keyboard shortcut at best.

quote:
Also when users sign out, their shortcut combinations for Messenger Lock should be disabled. Because this leads to annoying situations like one mentioned in the first post of this thread. If user didn't disable 'the tooltip and the menu of the systray icon' in options when locking Messenger, and when locks it, and then signs out from the menu option of systray icon without unlocking it, Messenger should be unlocked automatically (without a password or anything). Also if user signed in on another computer to messenger service after locking his/her messenger in the first computer, messenger should be unlocked together with the text "You have signed-in on another computer. Click here to sign-in again", but all opened chat windows should be closed of course.
And what if the user checked the "remember me" option at sign-in? Even though it might be an interesting idea (for multi-user computers that is), it's not valid for every user of Plus!. I'm the only one using Messenger on my Windows account, if i happen to lock Messenger (whatever the reason), then leave from home, sign-in from a friend's computer, Plus! should unlock my first Messenger (and disable the "remember meh" option)?!?

quote:
Also there are some big problems about Messenger Lock when using Multiple Accounts, because currently their key combinations for Messenger Lock conflict and it leads to unwanted lockings or unlockings.
cf. Cookie's reply.

quote:
2- Secondly, another thing that should be reviewed is Event Viewer and its option for displaying it. Because when you sign-out, it is still displayed and all of logged events remains there. If it is a public computer, all of your contacts' email addresses can be seen from that window. So it should be closed [not necessarily cleaned] when signing out (if you sign in again before any other user, all logs can come back to Viewer). And related item in Plus! menu should be greyed out when nobody signed in. Also if one user protects his/her preferences with a password, when he/she clicks on the item Display Event Viewer from Plus! menu, of course when he/she signed in, then Plus! should ask for the password, because it changes that person's preferences (currently it doesn't ask for the password while changing it [4.20.262].)
Your last suggestion (password on displaying the viewer) would be mostly annoying (and useless) -_-
And why can't you just close Messenger? Or clean the event viewer yourself.

Thing is, you always write looooooong posts with more or less interesting(?) suggestions, but you just have a wicked way of thinking, you use some weird logic and make UNINTELLIGIBLE PARAGRAPHS -_-
Maybe when you'll make concise posts, people (like me) will bother giving a look at what you're actually saying.

This post was edited on 04-14-2007 at 05:28 PM by Apatik.
[Image: rdmazu.php]
04-14-2007 01:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dan1elle

Happy  RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled
i havent set a password for my lock yet sometime if im typing it locks its self and when i have tried to do it again at a later time it doesnt work :S can anyone help??[img]
04-14-2007 02:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled
quote:
Originally posted by dan1elle
i havent set a password for my lock yet sometime if im typing it locks its self and when i have tried to do it again at a later time it doesnt work :S can anyone help??
Messenger Plus!'s lock feature shouldn't lock Messenger out of the blue.

It is quite possible that you accidently entered the hotkey when you are typing. It is also possible that another program invokes the hotkey which you've set (in that case it would be a badly made program, but nevertheless sush programs do exist).

In any other case, I don't see how the lock feature could be invoked automatically. It would be extremely highly surprising if this is because of a bug in Plus!.

PS: although it was related, it is not what this topic is about. Next time make a new thread for it ;)

This post was edited on 04-14-2007 at 04:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-14-2007 04:34 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
Your last suggestion (password on displaying the viewer) would be mostly annoying (and useless) -_-
Right, it would be more annoying. But why is there an item in Prefences to display it. It should be in Plus! menu and if the item won't be removed from Prefences (I am sure it won't; heck, in what a wicked way I think) then let the item in Plus! menu close or open event viewer temporarily, without changing the user's preference. When user signs out and re-signs in then the preference come back. If user wants to permanently change it, let him have to go to Prefences.
04-18-2007 03:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
quote:

Right, it would be more annoying. But why is there an item in Prefences to display it. It should be in Plus! menu and if the item won't be removed from Prefences (I am sure it won't; heck, in what a wicked way I think) then let the item in Plus! menu close or open event viewer temporarily, without changing the user's preference. When user signs out and re-signs in then the preference come back. If user wants to permanently change it, let him have to go to Prefences.

I think it's still useful to have the setting "repeated" in the preferences and in the Plus! menu, but your idea of a "temporary" setting is interesting.
[Image: rdmazu.php]
04-18-2007 10:40 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled
quote:
Originally posted by me
...It should be in Plus! menu and if the item won't be removed from Prefences (I am sure it won't; heck, in what a wicked way I think) then let the item in Plus! menu close or open event viewer temporarily, without changing the user's preference. When user signs out and re-signs in then the preference come back. If user wants to permanently change it, let him have to go to Prefences.
I have just found how that idea came to my mind. It is similar to another option of Plus!. In conversation windows, users can enable/disable Chat Logging, Auto-accept Requests and Override Contact's Font, and those are temporarily set and cancelled when you close-reopen that conversation window. I wanted to mention this too. :D Thanks for reading.
05-03-2007 02:43 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: