What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [split] How does Plus! detect the OS's language

[split] How does Plus! detect the OS's language
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. How does Plus! detect the OS's language
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
When you run the installer on your computer it automatically searches the language that's being used by your OS.
I wonder how Plus! detects the OS's language. If it is any file, or any registry entry I must change it (of course if possible) to my own language on my computer.
Please don't write anything about why I am posting on such an old thread. Maybe it will show you that I have searched the forum before opening a new thread.
04-25-2007 07:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: How does Plus! detect the OS's language
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
When you run the installer on your computer it automatically searches the language that's being used by your OS.
I wonder how Plus! detects the OS's language. If it is any file, or any registry entry I must change it (of course if possible) to my own language on my computer.
Please don't write anything about why I am posting on such an old thread. Maybe it will show you that I have searched the forum before opening a new thread.

Tochjo is right over here. I have Swedish language of Vista, but it shows English as default, so I don't think there is a way to bypass this.
4 8 15 16 23 42
04-25-2007 08:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: How does Plus! detect the OS's language
Thread split from "Silent Install with Dutch as language".

quote:
I don't think anyone would mind if you made a new thread. The existing thread is almost 3 years old, and people get annoyed when really old threads are bumped. :p

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
MEGA OLD THREAD :(.
04-25-2007 09:01 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] How does Plus! detect the OS's language
he he sorry then
04-25-2007 09:11 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [split] How does Plus! detect the OS's language
If an application needs to get the default language or system language or user's language, etc, then it should use APIs like:
  GetSystemDefaultLCID
  GetUSerDefaultLCID
  GetLocaleInfo
  GetUserLocaleInfo

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I don't think anyone would mind if you made a new thread. The existing thread is almost 3 years old, and people get annoyed when really old threads are bumped. :p
I do mind very much, if I may say so...

IMHO, it is far better to have 1 thread (no matter what age) about a certain subject. Than having 2 or more. As you probably know I search the forums a lot all the time, and time and again I need to make sure there are no other relevant threads about a certain subject because of duplicated and repeated threads. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

People shouldn't stare blind on the thread creation date as that says absolutely nothing at all. If a thread is updated with _relevant_ info or a _relevant_ question I don't see any reason why that should not be allowed. On the contrary, making a new thread shouldn't be allowed imho.

As a matter of fact, I needed to read the old thread anyways to see if things were already said so I don't repeat stuff. So what is the use of a repeated/duplicated thread anyways?

Also, when refering to threads, it is far more easier for helpers to link to 1 thread instead of linking to x threads and stating read first this one, then this one, read a bit of this, then this one, etc... (Which does need to be done and is done already in many many posts).

This shouldn't be about people being annoyed, this should be about keeping information together instead of spreading it all over the place so no-one can find the 'complete picture' anymore without extensive searching and reading... If people are annoyed by a thread which is updated/bumped with relevant info, it is their problem and they should learn how to keep info together/provide proper info...

In short: it is far worse to make duplicated threads than updating an existing thread...

all imho of course...

[/OFF TOPIC]

This post was edited on 04-25-2007 at 11:43 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-25-2007 11:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Cookie agrees with me, wow. So what should I do then? Shall I keep posting on old threads like this one (I have preferred to post on that old thread because it was about the subject which I would like to learn something about it), or shall I make new threads? WDZ, please put restrict rules about it.

Returning to the topic, Cookie thanks for your answer but it doesn't give me where the location of language info of OS is stored. I must (if possible) change it manually to my own language. Is there any language identifier 'tr', or something other?
04-26-2007 08:22 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
So, doesn't anyone know how to do this? Please help..
05-02-2007 04:23 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] How does Plus! detect the OS's language
This has to do with the current user's regional settings. No idea where Windows stores the info but I'm pretty sure you should not attempt to change it by hacking files or the registry. Just go through the control panel or use WMI.
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-04-2007 02:16 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Well, I admit I am not interested in learning how Plus! can detect OS's language. (By the way I have noticed when I change language setting from Regional Settings, the language of first screen of Plus! setup changes too.) However I want to install IE 7 Turkish to my computer (whose OS is XP MCE 2005) but it shows this message "This installation's language does not support your OS's language. Setup will exit." In fact my OS's language appears to be Turkish but there is an item like "Turkish patch for XP" in Add\Remove Programs list. In Regional Settings all settings are set to Turkish but still IE7's setup exits and I can't install it. So as I remember when installing MsgPlus! it was detecting my OS's language, I thought if I learn how it can do this, I can hack the necessary file and succeed IE7's setup. So my problem is this. Also that Turkish patch is not perfect probably because I sometimes see English texts in the interface of some windows on OS. So I need somewhat a different help about this subject. Thanks in advance.
05-05-2007 04:23 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: