What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » anyone write script to check who appear offline?

Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
anyone write script to check who appear offline?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: anyone write script to check who appear offline?
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
Yes, it is possible, because as some said, Messenger does look for the DPs of people who are appearing offline.
It doesn't...

When a contact has the status appear offline, you do not recieve DP updates for that contact.

quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
Sorry, but if the person that is offline doesn't change the DP???
doesn't matter, see above...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-09-2007 10:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Contact A is Online
Contact C is Appearing Offline

I change my DP to one that has NEVER been used before. Server gets notified of the DP change. Server notifies contacts on my list of the change. Contact A and Contact C open a session to download the DP.
05-09-2007 10:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Contact A is Online
Contact C is Appearing Offline

I change my DP to one that has NEVER been used before. Server gets notified of the DP change. Server notifies contacts on my list of the change. Contact A and Contact C open a session to download the DP.
yes, but that is not what andrey and MicroWay suggested....

To explain it with your example: When contact C changes his DP, you will not recieve any updates.

;)
05-09-2007 11:03 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
I am not saying that Contact C change his DP. I am saying I change my DP and the server informs the contacts that I have a new DP and they open a session and download it.
05-09-2007 11:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I am not saying that Contact C change his DP. I am saying I change my DP and the server informs the contacts that I have a new DP and they open a session and download it.
yes, but I'm saying (read: was replying) to what andrey and MicroWay suggested....
05-10-2007 12:05 AM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
to what andrey and MicroWay suggested....

Sorry but just a little thing: I didn't sugested anything (no need to edit a post because of this)... I was just asking using the information that if a person as Appear Offline changes DP, the others contacts online will update the DP and this will be used to know when the person is offline....

Anyway... as the other posts made about this subject, "we" finish at the same point: not possible to know when a contact is as "Appear Offline"...
(And for me no problem... I'm not sooo curious about that :P)
05-10-2007 02:49 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
I personally don't think its impossible. Simply put the protocol limits all the possibility of this.

My theory is that if I change my DP the server tells all my contacts that I changed it and they open a connection and download the updated display picture. Especially if you Sign out and back in once your Display Picture shows on the toast popup (side note: where did we come up with the name toast?) it will redownload the latest display picture. Once a session has been opened with you, you can check the status based on the email of the contact that has opened a session with you.

This in theory should work because if they are offline they can't open a session with you.
05-10-2007 03:55 AM
Steel Froggy

Mc. Haxinlaggins

31 / Male / –
RE: RE: anyone write script to check who appear offline?
quote:
I personally don't think its impossible. Simply put the protocol limits all the possibility of this.

My theory is that if I change my DP the server tells all my contacts that I changed it and they open a connection and download the updated display picture. Especially if you Sign out and back in once your Display Picture shows on the toast popup (side note: where did we come up with the name toast?) it will redownload the latest display picture. Once a session has been opened with you, you can check the status based on the email of the contact that has opened a session with you.

This in theory should work because if they are offline they can't open a session with you.

I have a few arguments, but I don't' want to re-type them... I have them saved somewhere. Let me fish them out...
[Image: Steel%20Froggy.png]
05-10-2007 04:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ok, since there seems to be misinformation and/or confusion on who said what:

The method/way to know if someone is appearing offline, talked about by andrey and a remark/question about it by MicroWay, which is: detecting DP change packets from appearing offline contacts will not work because, as I said, you will not recieve any DP changes from contacts who are appearing offline since your own Messenger does not request DP updates from contacts who are (appearing) offline.

However, the method/way talked about by Matty, which is: changing your own DP and detecting connections from people and comparing them with their statusses will work. This method has also been described a long time ago when 'Open Window Notifiers' discussions popped up and when trying to find a more/better use for them. However, that will also not show you all contacts who are appearing offline though: if you do recieve such a notice you may be certain that the person is appearing offline. If you do not recieve such a notice, you can not be certain; the person could still be apearing offline.

This post was edited on 05-10-2007 at 10:07 AM by CookieRevised.
05-10-2007 09:55 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: anyone write script to check who appear offline?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
However, the method/way talked about by Matty, which is: changing your own DP and detecting connections from people and comparing them with their statusses will work. This method has also been described a long time ago when 'Open Window Notifiers' discussions popped up and when trying to find a more/better use for them. However, that will also not show you all contacts who are appearing offline though: if you do recieve such a notice you may be certain that the person is appearing offline. If you do not recieve such a notice, you can not be certain; the person could still be apearing offline.

Exactly hence why I said Sign Out and back in or go Appear Offline then Online yourself. That will force a toast to be displayed and the contacts will be forced to open a session with you to get the new display picture.

This post was edited on 05-10-2007 at 01:45 PM by matty.
05-10-2007 01:45 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: