What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [req] script update notifier

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[req] script update notifier
Author: Message:
jerone

i like it

38 / Male / –
O.P. [req] script update notifier
hey all,

i was wondering if there allready is a script that checks for all other latest script update.
there for i dont have to check all scripts manualy myself.

thnx, gr J

This post was edited on 05-13-2007 at 01:57 PM by jerone.
[Image: Jerone.png]
05-13-2007 01:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [req] script update notifier
u will get a pop up if there is - well i have for a few of em
[Image: Untitled333.jpg]
05-13-2007 03:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
this is a feature dependent on the script itself. Some scripts already have this built into them, and will notify you when you start the script or WLM if an update is available.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
05-13-2007 03:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
jerone

i like it

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [req] script update notifier
yeah i know, but thats just for a few scripts.

i remember in the beginning there was a script witch could check for new updates. but it was never released. someone knows about this?

i think there should be a Plugin Manager with a update checker build in.
just a thought :p
05-13-2007 08:00 PM
Steel Froggy

Mc. Haxinlaggins

31 / Male / –
You mean like the FireFox plug-in/extension notifier thing?

I don't' see why it wouldn't be possible.
[Image: Steel%20Froggy.png]
05-14-2007 04:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Steel Froggy

because people may not update it in the database, also people may not have the version in it.

also this has been discussed before, please search ;)
05-14-2007 05:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jerone

i like it

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: [req] script update notifier
quote:
Originally posted by Steel Froggy

yeah totaly like that, that would be the best.
if not possible something like wfx_Versions.

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
because people may not update it in the database, also people may not have the version in it.

also this has been discussed before, please search ;)
i did searched, but i couldn't find anything.

if people do not update it in the datebase, then they are not that smart. people download scripts from there and not from a hunderd different personal sites.

but then there can be made a script witch only checks the datebase. enought off scripts to check there.

its just a suggestion, but i think it would be one off the best scripts made. :p
05-14-2007 03:08 PM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
This is something me and Eljay have started coding as part of some new stuff coming to MPScripts.net :)
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
05-14-2007 04:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
There already is a script which does this. I can't find it atm though...

But in all these things there is always one weak link and the reason why they useually are short-lived: the human being :D

People need to update their script in a specific manner, using specific identifications and/or tags, etc. This is not done by everybody and/or forgotten over time...

Also note that since a while Plus! has a new tag in the ScriptInfo.xml which is used to identify the version of a script. This tag is the first step to an auto-update-check for scripts in Plus! (at least that is what Patchou said a long while ago). But this tag isn't used by every script either....

quote:
Originally posted by jerone
if people do not update it in the datebase, then they are not that smart.
There can be many reasons why something isn't posted in the database. As for not updating an already existing script in the database, that happens too, and mostly because people can't be bothered or simply forgot about it.

quote:
Originally posted by jerone
people download scripts from there and not from a hunderd different personal sites.
That is not true. There are many places where scripts are downloaded from.

There are also sites which simply have copied the database, changed some scripts and/or added some (useless) scripts. People who download from there might even not know the existance of the official database. I know at least two of such sites which do this (which I don't agree upon, but that's another matter. Point is they do exist and people download from them).

For something like this to work properly you either need each developper to "stick to the standard". But this wont work 100% because they are only human too, and each has their own preffered way of doing things. Not everybody even updates their script version numbers, let alone updating it in a consistant manner.

Or you need to keep track of each (most) script yourself and keeping track of scripts in several places, quite often also comparing versions and determining which one is the latest, etc... and all that is almost a full time job on its own so to speak.

It would be great to have something like this, but I should be well thought over and a lot of things needs to be taken in to consideration. Not the least checking script in many places, not only from the official database.

If Dempsey and Eljay make something like this, we would then have  at least three different kind of such things already: that existing script, Dempsey's/Eljay's method and a possible official way which needs to be yet integrated into Plus!. Thus in the worst case scenario 3 different "standards" or things you need to run to keep your installed scripts up to date.

Thing is, this is a typical example of something which looks great in theory but quite often doesn't work quite well in practice as it would never be 100% working for many scripts.

just my thoughts...

This post was edited on 05-16-2007 at 11:34 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-16-2007 11:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jerone

i like it

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [req] script update notifier
ok CookieRevised, i get your point. i dont disagree, but now for most scripts there isnt any option then to check manualy for a new update.

i hope Patchou comes quickly with his seloution, but a script from the devolopers Dempsey and Eljay isnt also an bad idea. if only it works for 75% i would still use it.

well when you say it would never work 100%, that would be true offcourse, but you can at least try.
just look at the database from FF with his extentions. a perfect example to this problem. every extention has a version, and you can check in one click if there is an update.
offcourse there are some bad ones in the base. you have to forget these, as it is what you say 'the human beings' are responsible here.

MsgPlus!Live scripts is 'just started' and only with in practice you come agross these kinds of problems. i hope this problem gets fixed soon, but never the less, i'm still loving it and using it alot.
05-16-2007 04:06 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: