What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Help with Ubuntu (You knew it was comming)

Help with Ubuntu (You knew it was comming)
Author: Message:
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
O.P. Help with Ubuntu (You knew it was comming)
I can't seem to

1: Get Ubuntu to display on the correct monitor (I use two, with two separate vid cards)
2: Get it to display a resolution any higher than 800x600

I read up a bit, and found this thing called Xorg.  From there, I was lost.

Basically, I just want it to display on the correct monitors, at the correct resolution.  Preferably using them both, as I do in windows.
[Image: Sentinel.png]
05-17-2007 08:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: Help with Ubuntu (You knew it was comming)
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/05/025207 here's a nice example, though you will need to sudo/gksu gedit, emacs or kate [whatever you use] to edit that file yourself. There are more modifiers if you want to set up your orientation differently. I'm not sure if Ubuntu offers a graphical method.

Once you're done, press ctrl + alt + backspace to restart X.

I'm also not sure what the main forum for ubuntu help is, you will have to check their website, but if you fire up xchat and head over that way they will be able to help you if you are still having trouble.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-17-2007 09:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
If you don't feel comfortable, follow this tutorial which is made for Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973
05-17-2007 11:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

oh- also, that tutorial I gave was for Xfree86 which is dated, so all instances of it in the tutorial you should think X.org instead. Otherwise, it will show you how to set up a dual monitor system [not really a dual head system as the title suggests], which that Ubuntu tutorial will not.

EDIT: oooh even better http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors

This post was edited on 05-17-2007 at 05:42 PM by Verte.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-17-2007 05:35 PM
wayneo

If you are still having problems with this, you are better posting in the ubuntu forums than here.
05-18-2007 05:04 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
I can't seem to

1: Get Ubuntu to display on the correct monitor (I use two, with two separate vid cards)
2: Get it to display a resolution any higher than 800x600

I read up a bit, and found this thing called Xorg.  From there, I was lost.

Basically, I just want it to display on the correct monitors, at the correct resolution.  Preferably using them both, as I do in windows.

quote:
sudo nvidia-settings
or get into ur ATI settings an config there
05-18-2007 07:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: