What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » documentation

documentation
Author: Message:
DarkGhost

O.P. documentation
Hello i know this kinda sounds stupid but when i try to read the doc its hard to understand because like i dont know whats what ... so like in the reference part [object or events] how do you know what is function blah() { and how do you know what is like messenger.myname then how do you know what is displaytoast? !! see i might sound stupid but it will help me out in the future if someone clears this up
05-21-2007 10:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: documentation
I think you need to start understanding JScript first (it is very similar to javascript and there are many tutorials on the net for that).  There is also a "hello world" script in the documentation for you to follow and many of code snippets on this site throughout the threads for you to take a look at and start understanding too.  Just like language, it takes time to understand and become fluent, just keep working at it and you will find yourself starting to understand it.  I know I'm being vague and not answering your questions but it is the truth, if i were to just answer them straight it would most likely just confuse you more.  I hope you keep trying at it.

PS. please wait a couple of days before bumping a thread, 2 hours is nothing really when there might be a very limited number of people o the board and furthermore, it is not like we are paid to help either so don't expect people to be here helping all the time.  thanks
[Image: markee.png]
05-22-2007 02:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
agreed with what markee said....

also:

To maybe (I hope :p) give a few hints: to know what those functions are and do, I suggest you take a look at the source of existing scripts. You don't need to understand every piece of code immediatly, that can come later. It is at this point important that you reconize the functions in the scripts with what is said about them in the documentation.

As for the syntax used in the documentation to describe functions, try to understand what it means, what the used symbols mean, etc. Do this again by looking at existing scripts and comparing the syntax in the documentation with how it is done in practice in scripts.

Once you start to understand this, you'll find yourself progressing quickly and learning the principles very quickly. After that it is only a question of knowing most of the existing functions of JScript, the language used to write Plus! scripts (for this there is also a documentation available in the scripting database: "Windows Scripting Documentation").

But also know that even the best programmers don't know all the functions by hart. But they do know that there is a certain function for doing something, so they can search the documentation for it. Knowing which functions exist is simply a matter of reading a documentation, and quite often also following related links in the documentation.
Aka: it simply comes down to being curious and reading the explaination of a function, so you'll remember that there is a function x for doing y. Just like you would learn new words in your mothertongue in school and using a dictionary (except there is no annoying teacher and it's way more fun :p).

And a good programmer also constantly verifies what functions do and/or how they actually work. Because it is indeed not easy to know each and every small detail of all the functions. But the important thing is, in my humble opinion, learning to search so you can look things up and understand them.

And, as with all things, the more you do it, the better you'll be with it (this includes searching).

Happy learning/Scripting ;)

This post was edited on 05-22-2007 at 03:18 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-22-2007 03:09 AM
DarkGhost

O.P. RE: documentation
actually I know javascript.
05-22-2007 07:06 PM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DarkGhost
actually I know javascript.
Well I recommend looking at the examples in the scripting documentation at the bottom of each section or looking at other people's work to get an idea of how to use the Properties, Methods and Events.  It really shouldnt be that hard to follow if you know javascript already.  Some of the best scripts to have a look at to understand are those made by Eljay as he includes a lot of notes in there.

Happy scripting.  If you are struggling then post back here in this forum and we will see if we can help.
[Image: markee.png]
05-22-2007 09:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Though, note that JavaScript is not the same as JScript. They are very related and similar, but they have differences too.

JScript is Microsoft's version of JavaScript, so to speak. This isn't entirly correct but close enough to quickly explain their relation.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-22-2007 10:50 PM
DarkGhost

O.P. RE: documentation
yep thanks... i didnt know there was examples at bottom btw cookierevised or markee can i have urmsn?

This post was edited on 05-22-2007 at 11:24 PM by DarkGhost.
05-22-2007 11:23 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: