What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » a/v monitoring sick room

a/v monitoring sick room
Author: Message:
seeker1

O.P. RE: a/v monitoring sick room
Thanks for the come-back.

I already have an a/v security cam set up, and it's ideal in quality of pic and sound, and the way it's set up, it requires minimal user intervention.  It's normally hard-wired to a remote tv/monitor, but that room is no longer in use. I was thinking I could put a pc there to get the cam to the network, good because I have pcs everywhere they'd be needed for this. But the software seems to be the issue. (Other locations for monitoring are so spread out that it precludes running wires to all of them.)

Netmeeting first came to mind, but I was afraid there was too much collateral capability involved, and it's gotta be 'appliance' simple. Next I began wondering about messenger, which is why I posted on this board.

My main issue is security. How can I keep the a/v off the internet, or at least invisible to anyone except us? Will messenger do this? If not, do you know of a video-conferencing quickie/freebee that will run as a server on an p2p intranet? (hope I'm phrasing this correctly).

I can't believe this isn't a hot topic. There just ought to be tons of simple stuff out there to place streaming a/v on a home network. I know x10 has some hardware, but it's all wireless, short-range, and   
has environmental issues. Close, but no cigar.

As usual, your comments, thoughts and suggestions are very much welcome and appreciated.

seeker1
05-23-2007 06:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
a/v monitoring sick room - by seeker1 on 05-23-2007 at 03:34 AM
RE: a/v monitoring sick room - by Verte on 05-23-2007 at 02:54 PM
RE: a/v monitoring sick room - by seeker1 on 05-23-2007 at 06:02 PM
RE: a/v monitoring sick room - by Verte on 05-24-2007 at 12:21 AM
RE: a/v monitoring sick room - by MeEtc on 05-24-2007 at 12:31 AM
RE: a/v monitoring sick room - by seeker1 on 05-24-2007 at 12:38 AM
RE: a/v monitoring sick room - by Lou on 05-24-2007 at 01:09 AM