What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotisound

Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotisound
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotisound
It may be very hard but it would be very good. I hear "Sign-in", "New Message" sounds of WLM in some Emotion Sounds. Some people don't care it but, for me for example, I care not to include any Messenger sound in my new emotion sound, but it is very difficult for me to disable all sounds when creating a new sound. At least please let Plus! disable sounds of both WLM and MsgPlus! during recording.
05-30-2007 10:49 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotisound
Why don't you change your status to Busy and make sure Plus! isn't set to play sounds when busy (plus > preferences > general > sounds)?
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-30-2007 11:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotis
Hit the mute button. :rolleyes:

This post was edited on 05-30-2007 at 12:22 PM by Phillip.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
05-30-2007 11:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotisound
It is up to you to select the proper source (and thus not full-duplex output modes or whatever), and/or mute the other outputs (or even simply turning down your speakers so your mic only records your voice).

Letting Plus! disable all sounds of Messenger wouldn't solve anything either, as there are many other sources which can produce sound (eg: Windows itself for instance)...

And why would it be difficult to turn off sources yourself anyways? Just double click on your speaker icon in windows and put everything on mute, except for what you wanna record.

If you wanna record something in a decent way, do it with a dedicated program, Plus! isn't a sound recording studio, nor should it ever be one.

This post was edited on 05-30-2007 at 03:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-30-2007 03:51 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotisound
Well, I think I must clarify something here.

I admit, it is not very difficult to mute other sounds on my own, also I knew the method which Sunshine suggested (which both would take 1 minute of my lifetime :P). But I worry about other users who create sounds. And as they are not interested in this problem, I think my suggestion is very logical and appropriate, which may even be a must and should have coded like this since MsgPlus! 1.0.

I am repeating here again that, please do it at least for WLM and MsgPlus! sounds.
05-30-2007 04:48 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Some people want to record their Plus! and WLM sounds too, so what about those? (I know you're going to suggest to make it optional though, but still  :p)

All in all, people should learn how to use their computer and learn that for each task there is a program and/or method.

What I mean is that Plus! shouldn't turn into a sound control center, or blogging tool (people have suggested things regarding this in the past), or full blown scheduler/alarm system.

Plus! is an addon for an instant messenger. If you want to create great sounds and effect and such stuff, you should use a dedicated tool. This is the same reason why Plus! only has a very limited trimming function for the sounds. If you want to create decently trimmed sounds, use a wave editor.

It is better to teach people how to do it in the proper way than taking them by hand and treating them as dumbo's. Because in that way, they always will be dumbo's and will never learn to use a computer (and then you get suggestions like "can't Plus! include a picture editor for my display pictures" -also something requested in the past-).

So if someone wants to do what you want, tell them to turn of WLM's and Plus!' sounds. In that way they have learned something new (and something easy), and in the process probably discover other new things....

Note: if it would have been a hell of a job to disable sounds and if it would require editing your registry and all, I would have agreed with the suggestion. But it is dead-easy to do it, so I really see no point to add something which probably will only be used extremely occasionally by only a very select few.

This post was edited on 05-30-2007 at 07:35 PM by CookieRevised.
05-30-2007 07:34 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a live emotisound
I have just thought that, Sunshine's method can be used as a start point of this new feature. Plus! can set status to Busy, like the current case when Configuration Wizard is launched, which I don't like the working shape of it, when recording starts and again set previous status when recording is stopped. But Plus! additionally has to check "Don't play sounds when my status is 'Busy'" option temporarily in General Sound Options of Plus! even if it isn't checked. And only one limitation will occur here, which is status won't be set to Busy when people Appearing Offline so external sounds of Messenger may still interfere to emotion sounds at this time.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Some people want to record their Plus! and WLM sounds too, so what about those? (I know you're going to suggest to make it optional though, but still  :p)
No, it will be mandatory for all people, i.e., no option for it, like the case of Configuration Wizard. Those weird people who may want to record Messenger sounds can still record them through either WLM's Options window or MsgPlus! Sound Library.
quote:
What I mean is that Plus! shouldn't turn into a sound control center, or blogging tool (people have suggested things regarding this in the past), or full blown scheduler/alarm system.
My suggestion is very very far from such kind of completely new features.
quote:
Plus! is an addon for an instant messenger. If you want to create great sounds and effect and such stuff, you should use a dedicated tool. This is the same reason why Plus! only has a very limited trimming function for the sounds. If you want to create decently trimmed sounds, use a wave editor.
* ahmetgns reads again his posts if he wrote something like "I want to create great sounds"
quote:
It is better to teach people how to do it in the proper way than taking them by hand and treating them as dumbo's. Because in that way, they always will be dumbo's and will never learn to use a computer (and then you get suggestions like "can't Plus! include a picture editor for my display pictures" -also something requested in the past-).
MsgPlus! is not supposed to make every thing avaliable which people may want in their messengers, but yet MsgPlus! is supposed to be user friendly and such an easy automatic disable option mustn't be very avoidable thing, I think. Please download random sounds occasionally, you will probably hear some Messenger sounds in them.
quote:
Note: if it would have been a hell of a job to disable sounds and if it would require editing your registry and all, I would have agreed with the suggestion.
No, if people can't think that they shouldn't allow Messenger sounds interfere to their creations, how can they know or why are they interested in how to disable it in registry.
quote:
But it is dead-easy to do it, so I really see no point to add something which probably will only be used extremely occasionally by only a very select few.

How many times do people run Configuration Wizard, but yet Patchou has considered it important and coded as it will set your status to Busy, won't it?
05-31-2007 11:53 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Let Plus! prevent other possible sounds to be played when recording a liv
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I have just thought that, Sunshine's method can be used as a start point of this new feature. Plus! can set status to Busy, like the current case when Configuration Wizard is launched, which I don't like the working shape of it, when recording starts and again set previous status when recording is stopped. But Plus! additionally has to check "Don't play sounds when my status is 'Busy'" option temporarily in General Sound Options of Plus! even if it isn't checked. And only one limitation will occur here, which is status won't be set to Busy when people Appearing Offline so external sounds of Messenger may still interfere to emotion sounds at this time.
Making all this an extremely wierd and confusing feature...

I don't agree with letting Plus! setting the status to Busy. IF something like this is implemented Plus! should directly interfear with the sound playing routine of Messenger (aka patching, hooking, whatever), not by setting a status and ticking a Messenger option.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
No, it will be mandatory for all people, i.e., no option for it, like the case of Configuration Wizard.
It MUST be an option! You should not force something like this! It is not because you would always use it like that, that everybody will.

quote:
Those weird people who may want to record Messenger sounds can still record them through either WLM's Options window or MsgPlus! Sound Library.
I don't see how you could record a sound through WLM's options window, you care to explain that?

And MsgPlus! Sound Library's "record a new sound" _IS_ the place to go to record sounds in the first place and IS the only place where this muting-feature could be implemented. I really do not get it why you posted that there or suggested that...

quote:
quote:
My suggestion is very very far from such kind of completely new features.
quote:
* ahmetgns reads again his posts if he wrote something like "I want to create great sounds"
quote:
Note: if it would have been a hell of a job to disable sounds and if it would require editing your registry and all, I would have agreed with the suggestion.
No, if people can't think that they shouldn't allow Messenger sounds interfere to their creations, how can they know or why are they interested in how to disable it in registry.
quote:
But it is dead-easy to do it, so I really see no point to add something which probably will only be used extremely occasionally by only a very select few.
How many times do people run Configuration Wizard, but yet Patchou has considered it important and coded as it will set your status to Busy, won't it?
All these replies show you didn't get what is explained.

1) I didn't said you said "create great sounds" :rolleyes: But your whole suggestion is based upon the fact that people make louzy sounds because there are interferences of other sounds in them. So to prevent that, aka "to make better/great sounds" you suggested what you suggested.

2) About the registry thing, you completey didn't get what I said. This isn't about changing something in the registry, that is the whole point!. This is about how easy it is for people to either disable the Messenger sounds themselfs or iether using a decent sound recorder software.

3) The status change for the config wizard has got nothing todo with this and is something completely different and done for a completely different reason.

and fyi, I already have a sound library with thousands of sounds. Don't do as if I never heared a custom sound.

This post was edited on 05-31-2007 at 02:04 PM by CookieRevised.
05-31-2007 01:46 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: