What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » how much further can reality TV go ?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
how much further can reality TV go ?
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: how much further can reality TV go ?
quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
Regardless of what people say - it IS for entertainment - otherwise it wouldn't be being shown on TV and no one would be watching it.

BNN is a public service broadcasting company, and so doesn't always have to put things on TV for entertainment.

The BBC puts a lot of stuff that makes no money, because they are a public service company. They put a lot of educational programs on and things, because it is in the interest of the public.

Perfect example: If it wasn't for the BBC, the paralympics wouldn't have been broadcast on TV since the viewing figures would have made it a financial loss for commercial TV channels.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
05-31-2007 07:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
BNN is a public service broadcasting company, and so doesn't always have to put things on TV for entertainment.
Finally a non-Dutchie understands the nature of this program and public TV channels in general.

quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
Regardless of what people say - it IS for entertainment - otherwise it wouldn't be being shown on TV and no one would be watching it.
If so you could label the news on TV as "messing around with people's emotions for entertainment" too. Obviously not all TV programs are made for entertainment, especially on public channels.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Please do not compare it with Big Brother. It is absolutely nothing like that. And it isn't because Endemol also created the concept of Big Brother that this is the only thing they think of.
Exactly, the one and only link between this show and Big Brother is the same production company... other than that it is a totally different concept, different channel/network, different goals, different people, different type (onetime program instead of a multi-season series). Reality TV as genre for this is highly mislabeled too.

I'll be watching tomorrow (if i have the time) out of curiosity. Hope somebody will upload it with subs for the curious people outside the Netherlands, so you can see if its really that bad as some seem to think.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-31-2007 11:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Just as I thought, all fake...
[Image: 1-0.png]

06-01-2007 09:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Just as I thought, all fake...
?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-01-2007 10:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
The show was fake, it was just a publicity stunt to raise the awareness  of organ donors.

EDIT: It's all over the news, just Google for it.

This post was edited on 06-01-2007 at 10:44 PM by Ezra.
[Image: 1-0.png]

06-01-2007 10:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Very well done though.

The show did indeed turn out to be fake, but they only announced that on the very end of the show just when the woman was about to announce the person who would get her kidney. So they did do the entire show, except for the last 5 minutes or so.

The 3 contestants were real, they were indeed people on a donor kidney waiting list... interviews with them and their family were all real. However, the "terminal sick" woman (Lisa) was an actress, and she didn't gave away any of her organs, neither she was sick. Obviously the contestants knew about it.

I only tuned in the last half of the show, but i must say the whole thing was geniusly done. And more importantly, they got their message out extremely well... almost the entire world media has been debating about the show, people are talking about donoring, it even stirred up things in the politics.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-01-2007 11:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: