What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Script for inserting a link in nickname

Script for inserting a link in nickname
Author: Message:
Andreyevich

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Script for inserting a link in nickname
Is it possible to insert a link into a nickname, which would be opened in the default web browser?

I wish to insert various blog/myspace links after some of my contacts nicknames, so that i may access these sites quicker, and can't find a way to do so.

Is there a script that enables this to work? I assume that it is possible... BBCode is already enabled in nicknames (although only for formatting, as far as I know...). All that would be needed is an extension to allow Links to be displayed and opened.

I.e. the following code could be put in:

Friend [ url=http://www.myspace.com]MySpace[/url ]

By clicking on the link, the URL would be opened. This could also work for Contacts shown on the Desktop.

Does anyone know if this script is in existence/being made? Or is it already possible, and I have been too stupid to realise it?

This post was edited on 04-25-2007 at 07:35 AM by Andreyevich.
04-25-2007 07:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Script for inserting a link in nickname
This is not possible...

For starters, scripts do not have access and don't control or handle what is shown in the contact list (or desktop contact windows).

Second, what you suggest is a very extremely high security risk. URLs should not be made 'invisble'. In that way the user (or anyone, even yourself) can accidently click on a link which says it is 'MySpace' but actually links to a virus download. It has been requested before, but for this sole reason it will never be implemented.

What I can suggest is to use the 'Notes' feature in Windows Live Messenger. For this you right click a contact > Edit Contact > Notes.
You can also find a 'website' field in the 'Personal' tab.

PS: BBCode is not enabled as-is. What you refer to are formatting codes used by Plus!. This is not really 'BBCode'. These are just a series of characters which happen to be the same as the formatting codes used in BBCode. Aka, it is not like Plus! enabled BBCode to be used in screen names, it is just that Plus! now also uses the some formatting codes which are also used in BBCode.

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-25-2007 08:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Andreyevich

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Script for inserting a link in nickname
Ah well, never mind then :P

Ill try out the notes feature and the website thing.

Thanks for explaining that to me! And for clarifying the bit about BBCode.

This post was edited on 04-25-2007 at 11:00 AM by Andreyevich.
04-25-2007 10:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Script for inserting a link in nickname
A tip
Put web addresses in your personal message rather than your nickname. In an open converation window, you personal message can be copied to clipboard for easy pasting into a web browser or anywhere else, your display name can't be copied. In the Messenger Plus contact information, the display name and personal message can both be copied, but is more awkard and only available to Messenger Plus users and only those that know they can do that.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
06-03-2007 09:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: