What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Request] Group Conversation

[Request] Group Conversation
Author: Message:
Zoidy

40 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Request] Group Conversation
Greetings all I would like to know if there is a script that can either disable group conversations or stop you from being invited into random ones. The reason I ask is have you ever been like away, watching a Movie, Playing a game and come back to MSN and find your in a group conversation with like 100 different people who you have no idea who they are let alone why you been added? I know I have and I find it annoying. If there was a script that could like popup when someone tried to add you and ask "Do you want to be included in this conversation?" and has a yes and no button. You have to click yes to give permission to enter or no if you rather be left alone. Also a handy option also to have is a auto close feature. This will give you like a set amount of time to choose yes or no or it will automatically close and select no by default. Would be handy if you’re in the middle of a online game where you cant see the request coming up. I hope this can be done. I can’t script as I can’t really do much scripting let alone programming as I suck at it as I hate it. Never really been interested in it enough to learn. If this can be done then that would be brilliant.

Blah as soon as I sent this I get mass invited into them. :@  As soon as I close the window I’m invited straight back within a few seconds. Only way I can stop it is by setting myself to appear offline :S

This post was edited on 06-11-2007 at 08:59 AM by Zoidy.
06-11-2007 08:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KatieScarlett
Disabled Account

35 / – / Flag
RE: [Request] Group Conversation
Or... by typing in the conversation "VIRUS.pif" which will auto-kick you outa the conversation.
Anyways, there a script made by NiteMare named "Conversation Warning", I can be bothered looking for it atm (:$) just search the Scripts Database for it...
It asks you whether you want to join the Grouped-Conversation or not, but it doesn't auto-close it after some time.

Best regards. ;)
06-11-2007 09:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
a few threads/posts on the subject:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=74268

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63...d=741925#pid741925

Overall Using MessengerDiscovery would probably be a better way to go based on the information provided in the links above.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
06-11-2007 09:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is not possible to write a script or tool which does prevent this in a proper way.
Each tool which does something like this has limitations to what it can do.

The reason is that this is simply (but unfortunatly) how the Messenger protocol works.

---

There is a script which shows you a dialog and lets you choose to cancel the conversation or not.
But this script will NOT prevent the group conversation from happening. A window will still be created and you will still be added to the group conversation. And as such, other people in the conversation, who may be total strangers to you, will still be able to see your Windows Live ID. Which makes this script useless for you and/or to protect anyone's privacy.

All the script does is showing you a dialog after you've been added, and if you choose "no, decline the group conversatoin" the group conversation window will be closed, that is all. But again, by that time, the damage is already done....

---

The addon called Messenger Discovery also has such a feature, and this one works better as it intervenes at protocol level. As such, a group conversation window will not be created. Though, this too will NOT totally protect your privacy as it is still possible for the strangers in the group conversation to catch your Windows Live ID.

---

I strongly encourage to report this to Microsoft as you're not the only one who finds this highly annoying (and a breach of your privacy): http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger

This post was edited on 06-11-2007 at 09:25 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-11-2007 09:08 AM
Zoidy

40 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Request] Group Conversation
Ah thanks guys.

Its not a issue on privacy as I they hardly even add me so that not the problem. Its just getting invited all the time that annoys me. Like as soon as you leave one second later you end up back in there and when you try to leave you just wind back up in there until you sign off for a while (or hide by using the appear offline status). Maybe one day Microsoft will add the feature like Yahoo has had for years. Although I wont hold my breath on that.

I'll try what you suggested matty and Cookie.

Okay Conversation Warning is no longer in the scripts database so thats one down neither is Messenger Discovery. I'll take a better look and look harder as I should be able to find it somewhere. Actually I really did not look at the page that I opened of the web site for Messenger Discovery. I only realized it after I Google'ed it :$

btw what a sweet addon. works well and has a lot of options :D

This post was edited on 06-11-2007 at 10:49 AM by Zoidy.
06-11-2007 09:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: