What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Removing low quality scripts from the DB

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Removing low quality scripts from the DB
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Removing low quality scripts from the DB
Just posting to let you all know that i just removed about 10 or 15 scripts from the DB at http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/browse/. These scripts have been removed either because they have very clear errors in them or because they barely had any functionality to offer.

Scripts that have been removed include (didn't write all the names down):
- Check B4 Send
- Auto Hey / Auto Bye / Auto NvM / Auto Nothing
- Random Caps
- Tada Toast
- Special Small Characters

In the future i will be stricter in allowing scripts like these on the DB, however i do not want to scare people away from submitting their scripts... in fact, i would love to see some of the scripts posted in this forum submitted to the DB :). Small and simple scripts are certainly welcome on the scripts DB, as long as they work properly, add some nice functionality, and you write a clear description for it. Scripts don't always have to be useful either, there is enough room for scripts in the fun section. But in the future the following scripts are likely to be denied:
  • Autoresponders without much features (like Auto Hey/Auto Bye/Auto NvM and such). An autoresponder if fine, but make it configurable with a nice GUI so users can add their own responses and message rules, there are some nice examples of that already in the Bots and Autotalkers section.
  • "Weirdtalkers" without much features, like "Special Small Characters" and "Random Caps" were. Again, these type of scripts are fine, but only when you add a nice GUI to them and make them configurable so users can add their own talkers.
  • Scripts that barely have any real functionality, like "Tada Toast" for example that only displayed a toast message when you open a conversation window.
  • Scripts that are submitted without a description that tells users what the script does and how they can use it. Please, read the submit guidelines. Most of the users just don't know to click the scripts icon or even type / in a conversation window to see the commands.

If you think a script that is currently still in the DB should be removed too, let me know in this topic, by PM or mail to [Image: scripts_submit.png] and i will certainly take a look at it. Unfortunately i can't read every thread in the scripts section to watch for malfunctioning scripts.

But again, please do not stop submitting your scripts just because yours does not have over 10.000 lines of perfect code. I will not deny scripts because you are not a leet coder or because you don't have the time to add all the features you can dream of. In general scripts are only denied when coding errors stop the script from working properly.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-20-2007 07:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB
lol, I thought mine would be removed :P But its not :banana:
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

06-20-2007 07:58 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB
Removed a few more now, but that's it as long as i don't get reports... which are always welcome :P.

I didn't remove any of the scripts with more than 10000 downloads for not having enough functionality, because... well.... people seem to like them :D.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-20-2007 08:41 PM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Thanks MenthiX, it's nice to see this initiative being taken on board. :happy:
[Image: markee.png]
06-21-2007 10:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Deco

41 / Male / Flag
Nice work. Keep it up.
06-22-2007 12:18 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
Good Work MenthiX :grin:
06-22-2007 12:30 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
im guessing there were some really crap ones then?:P

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
06-22-2007 12:31 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I was looking through the database the other day, and many seemed totally useless and of a poor quality. However, there is a huge variety of search options, so I tend to not seem them listed anyway :P.
06-22-2007 02:17 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
many seemed totally useless and of a poor quality
If so i'd like to hear which ones :). What seems totally useless to you might be useful for somebody else, but i will always take a look if somebody reports specific scripts to me with a reason why. As long as i don't hear from anybody i'll just assume nobody sees scripts which they think shouldn't belong there.

This post was edited on 06-22-2007 at 05:50 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-22-2007 05:49 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
many seemed totally useless and of a poor quality
If so i'd like to hear which ones :). What seems totally useless to you might be useful for somebody else, but i will always take a look if somebody reports specific scripts to me with a reason why.
It would be easier if there was some form we could fill in.

Because I can imagine that many times people cba to report something as you need to look up the email address in the help, then open the email client, type the email manually (cause you can't copy it), then switching to again the browser and copying the script's URL, switching back to the email client and pasting the url, etc... well you catch my drift :D;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-22-2007 05:53 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: