What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Since this's a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture here

Since this's a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture here
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Since this's a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture here
Messenger option: "Since this is a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture and personal message here"

I can't check or uncheck the Messenger option above on my laptop (it seems it is unchecked currently but it is grey) (in my desktop computer, I can opt for that option). What can be the reason?

WLM 8.1
MP!L 4.23
Norton Internet Security 2005
Windows XP SP2

I have installed MsgDiscovery and StuffPlug on this computer previously, but I have uninstalled them now but that option is still grey.

Note: People who have their own Windows accounts on this laptop can't opt for it too.

Edit: I made the post more understandable. And absorbation, I am talking about "cache" of Messenger on our computers.

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 10:50 AM by ahmetgns.
06-10-2007 07:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Since shared computer, don't store address book, d. picture... option is grey, why?
I'm a little confused to what your problem is. I believe address book etc is stored in the server side :).
06-10-2007 10:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Since this's a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture here
Windows Live Mail Desktop is the reason, isn't it? It prevents us to tick that option because we must be able to use address book through WLMD even if we are not connected to the internet, because address book is shared between WLMail Desktop and WLMessenger.
06-23-2007 04:44 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Since this's a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture here
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Windows Live Mail Desktop is the reason, isn't it? It prevents us to tick that option because we must be able to use address book through WLMD even if we are not connected to the internet, because address book is shared between WLMail Desktop and WLMessenger.
No it is not the reason. I use the WLMail (formerly WLMail Desktop) aswell as WLMessenger Beta and i can check that option if i want to. Have you noticed that you can choose to sign in to your Live ID, it is not mandatory.

quote:
Originally posted by Windows Live Help
About signing in to Windows Live Mail Beta
You don't have to sign in with a Windows Live ID (The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Windows Live, MSN, or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network, Hotmail, or Messenger account, you can use it as your Windows Live ID.) to use Windows Live Mail Beta, and you can add accounts and send and receive e-mail normally without signing in. However, if you do sign in to Mail Beta, you gain access to additional features such as:

Photo E-mails: If you create a Photo E-mail (A Mail Beta e-mail message containing multiple photos in a photo layout.) while you're signed in to Mail Beta with a Windows Live ID, high-quality versions of the photos are saved on Windows Live servers for 30 days, and linked to thumbnail versions in the e-mail. This means that the e-mail will be smaller, and that the recipients can view the photos without having to download them. For more information, see Add photos to e-mail messages.
Windows Live Messenger: If you have Messenger installed on your computer, you can automatically sign in by clicking the Messenger icon  in the folder pane (The left pane in the Windows Live Mail Beta window, containing the folder structure for all the e-mail accounts, newsgroup accounts, or RSS feeds that you've added. On the Mail tab, the Folder pane also shows your Outbox and any offline storage folders on your computer's hard disk.) , and also access Messenger features such as instant messaging and Windows Live Call from within Mail Beta. For more information, see Send an instant message or another type of message.
Windows Live Contacts: If you're signed into Mail Beta with a Windows Live ID, you see the same address book (A list of contacts, that contains the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of each of your contacts. If you're signed in with a Windows Live ID, Mail Beta uses the contacts list associated with your Windows Live ID.) as you do in Windows Live Hotmail, Messenger, and other products that use Windows Live Contacts. Any changes that you make to your contacts in Mail Beta also take effect in those products and services. You can also choose to share your contact information on your Windows Live space, and ask to receive automatic updates when your contacts change their contact information. For more information, see Organize your contacts.
Blog This: Post e-mail messages that you've sent and received, RSS (Really Simple Syndication. A type of web feed designed for the easy sharing of headlines, blog posts, and other web content.) articles, or newsgroup (An online bulletin board where messages are posted for public consumption and response.) posts directly to your online blog (Short for weblog. An online journal or newsletter that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or the website.) on Windows Live Spaces. If you aren't signed in to Mail Beta, and you don't have Windows Live Writer Beta installed on your computer, you have to manually enter a Windows Live ID before you can continue. For more information, see Post messages on an online blog.

Note
If you haven't ever signed in to Mail Beta, your address book only contains the contacts that you've added directly to Mail Beta.

You could have found this out if you had just clicked the ? (help) button in WLMail Beta.

That option beeing greyed out for you could have to do with the type of account you are using (limited, no admin priviledges) or the settings for WLMessenger in NIS.

This post was edited on 06-23-2007 at 11:35 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
06-23-2007 10:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Since this's a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture here
First of all, I am talking about Windows Live Mail Desktop beta but you are talking about Windows Live Mail beta. No, no don't get angry but there is something wrong here really.

For example I can't open my program without signing in, but the documentation you quoted says it was possible to open it without signing in. Also I have checked the updates for my computer but it didn't find anything related to Windows Live Mail Desktop (Windows Live Mail). I don't know why it didn't find. If you used WLMD once, I wonder if you got a notification for the update to new Windows Live Mail program or not. Because it seems that I have to download that new program from its own page on ideas.live.com, I can't get it with an update of Windows.

And after a couple of tests, I am 100% sure that WLMD is the reason of my problem (Not a problem actually :)). Thank you for your effort to help.
06-24-2007 08:54 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Since this's a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture here
Windows Live Mail (Beta) is formerly known as Windows Live Mail Desktop (don't think that was ever in a non beta stage or was it?), if you write Windows Live Mail Desktop i assume you mean the newest unless you say so otherwise.

If you are using the old stuff then i dunno about the signing in since i've not used it. In this new one the signing in is only for Windows Live ID and you can click cancel or just close that sign in screen and the program will open anyway.

And no, if you used a previous Windows Live Mail Desktop you will not be notified of a new version for asfar as i know...just like there's no notifications in messenger for a new version if it's a beta. You always have to get Betas from the beta site. And no these programs did/do not get updated through Windows Update..that there was one for Windows Live Messenger Beta was a test, no saying if that be the route they will take for it (nor if they will for the other betas in this current beta run, WLMail and WLWriter).

One and only way to see if it is Windows Live Mail Desktop causing it is to uninstall it then have a look again.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
06-24-2007 10:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I had been aware of WLMD beta when Microsoft sent me an email asking me to participate for the beta stage of WLMD. I accepted it and downloaded it. After some months, I couldn't access Hotmail through it (an error message used to appear when I wanted to check hotmail). For one of my computers, Windows update automatically downloaded it at the background. Then I checked for the updates through Microsoft Update site on my other computer and WLMD is one of the high priority updates there. I downloaded it by that way on my other computer. Then I could access to hotmail through new program. I don't know why Windows notified me for a Beta stage program. But now it doesn't notify me about Windows Live Mail program, strange!

Also how I am so sure about my problem's reason is WLMD: Simply I created a new Windows account and signed in to Messenger. I checked out for that option, it wasn't grey, i.e., I was able to tick or untick that option. Then I signed in to WLMD with the same Windows Live ID, signed out from Messenger, resigned in and checked out that option, it was grey. ;)

Also I still could access to the help site for Windows Live Mail Desktop when I click on ? inside the program, it hasn't  still been removed, this is also strange.

06-24-2007 11:55 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I don't know why Windows notified me for a Beta stage program. But now it doesn't notify me about Windows Live Mail program, strange!
As said before, not all beta updates are notified upon. Only when there is a major bug being fixed those who have a beta program (or participate in one) will be notified. Also, again as said before :rolleyes:, notifications of beta's are often also part of the beta testing and thus will not always appear. There is nothing strange about it.

As for getting access to the help site of WLMD via WLMD, what's so strange about that? Seems like absolutely a normal thing to me...

This post was edited on 06-24-2007 at 02:05 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-24-2007 02:03 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
As for getting access to the help site of WLMD via WLMD, what's so strange about that? Seems like absolutely a normal thing to me..
If WLMD project is replaced with Windows Live Mail program, and if WLMD was still a beta when it had been given up (i.e., never released officially), normally all WLMD users are supposed to upgrade to Windows Live Mail. So support for WLMD must be removed, and support must be given only for Windows Live Mail program. Because there is no WLMD avaliable on ideas.live.com any more. For example Microsoft should normally would like me to upgrade to Windows Live Mail. I don't know exactly though.

Edit:
quote:
demand it to MS then... :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with still giving support for a old program. :rolleyes:
Actually, I don't want that help to be removed. Of course, me too find having that help useful. I was surprised only when I saw it is avaliable. If I were Microsoft, I would force my beta testers to have the latest program by stopping helping for the old version, so that they would still give suitable feedback for the latest program.
quote:

EDIT: well, you're not Microsoft
WTF?,
quote:
not even a developer
WTF?,
quote:
and thank god for that.
WTF? Don't use my program then.
quote:
And if you don't mean for the old support to be gone and find it usefull yourself, then why the hell did you posted what you posted before, demanding it to be removed?
WTF? I am talking about removing that help but "Did I really demand it????????? I only said that I was surprised when saw it avaliable, but I really didn't expect you to understand my sentences.

This post was edited on 06-29-2007 at 09:34 PM by ahmetgns.
06-24-2007 02:26 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
demand it to MS then... :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with still giving support for a old program. :rolleyes:

EDIT: well, you're not Microsoft, not even a developer, and thank god for that.
And if you don't mean for the old support to be gone and find it usefull yourself, then why the hell did you posted what you posted before, demanding it to be removed?

This post was edited on 06-28-2007 at 10:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-24-2007 05:35 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: