What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Privacy

Privacy
Author: Message:
gingerwingnut

O.P. Privacy
Hi everybody,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section,

Just a couple of quick questions that i'm sure have been on here before but i cant seem to find an answer.

Firstly, is it possisle for someone who shares the same home wireless network as me to spy on my conversations and if so is there anyway i can find out and/or prevent them from doing so.

Also, my chats arent set up to be saved on my computer as its a works machine, but are they stored elsewhere on it and if so where would i find them and how do delete/remove them.

Thanks in advance for you help !

GWN
06-23-2007 10:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Privacy
1- yes (the way i can see network conversations is a remote administration application, it has to be installed on both machines... im sure there is ways such as key loggers and what not that can work over a network) preventing it? don't really have much experience with that so wouldn't be able to give you any advice on that one.. sorry

2- goto options and select to not save them, also find the files and delete them (the folder path should be in the options)

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
06-23-2007 10:48 AM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Don't worry about your first option. Regularly scan your computer with an anti-virus software to remove programs that can log what you are doing. Also chat-logs are NOT saved unless you specify it. If the option is not on, no logs will be created :).
06-23-2007 10:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Cartox

+1

37 / Male / Flag
It is possible to get conversations from other people on the same network without having any spy program on their pc installed..

simple example:

http://www.effetech.com/msn-sniffer/

as for preventing this, i don't know:)

This post was edited on 06-23-2007 at 01:13 PM by Cartox.
[Image: cartoxbanr.jpg]

The statement below is True.
The statement above is False.
06-23-2007 11:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
gingerwingnut

O.P. RE: Privacy
Cheers for the help guys,

My machine is regularly scanned and always comes back with nothing, so i presume the only way my messages can be intercepted is through our wifi ? i also have access to the other computer so is there anything i could look for on there ?

As for the saved messages, mine arent selected to be saved and i've followed the folder path in options and there doesnt appear to be a folder, so can i presume i'm safe ?

Thanks
06-23-2007 04:41 PM
win_crook

31 / Male / Flag
About sniffing packets... There are at least three scripts in the database which will stop packet sniffers from getting the actual message text.
06-24-2007 07:37 PM
gingerwingnut

O.P. RE: Privacy
Would this mean that is impossible on MSN then ?. Sorry for sounding a bit stupid but i'm not most technically minded person in the world.
06-24-2007 07:51 PM
win_crook

31 / Male / Flag
There are two ways that your conversations can be read if you're not keeping chat logs. Either using a keylogger or sniffing packets on the network.

To prevent the keyloggers, do regular virus/spyware scans like someone above said. And for the packet sniffing if you used one of the scripts that I posted in my last post. This would prevent your messages being sent in a very easily readible format across the network.

Whilst these methods would work. There are always problems. Such as your virus scanner not picking up the keylogger. Or the encryption being broken on the data being sent. These are quite unlikely though.

Good Luck,
David
06-24-2007 07:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: