What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Two suggestions

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Two suggestions
Author: Message:
themrb

O.P. Two suggestions
My computer has issues.  Due to something wrong with the hardware, when it starts up, it often suddenly performs a 'forced reboot'.  This is annoying in itself, but what makes it more annoying is each time it does it, I get a messenger plus window, "An error was detected in your last attempt to run messenger.  As a precaution all scripts have been disabled," meaning I have to go and re-enable all of my 10 scripts, one by one.  I'm suggesting a Yes/No choice, having Yes as recommended.  I'd imagine this to be fairly simple to do.

My second suggestion was to be able to add a note into the chat logs, without sending it to the person who you're talking to.  I could have used this a number of times for things that I could have recorded but would be stupid to send.  One such was offline messages time stamps.  They don't always appear on the chat logs, and when they do, they are always at the timestamp you got them, NOT the timestamp they were sent on, which is shown on messenger.  If that could be fixed too that would be great.
06-23-2007 11:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Two suggestions
quote:
Originally posted by themrb
I get a messenger plus window, "An error was detected in your last attempt to run messenger.  As a precaution all scripts have been disabled," meaning I have to go and re-enable all of my 10 scripts, one by one. I'm suggesting a Yes/No choice, having Yes as recommended.

+1

Often my Messenger is interrupted due to random Windows hiccups, and I hate re-enabling all my scripts as well.

quote:
My second suggestion was to be able to add a note into the chat logs, without sending it to the person who you're talking to.

+1 as well. Maybe a sort of "comments" system could be implemented, sort of like what word has for commenting?
06-24-2007 12:03 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
quote:
My computer has issues.  Due to something wrong with the hardware, when it starts up, it often suddenly performs a 'forced reboot'.  This is annoying in itself, but what makes it more annoying is each time it does it, I get a messenger plus window, "An error was detected in your last attempt to run messenger.  As a precaution all scripts have been disabled," meaning I have to go and re-enable all of my 10 scripts, one by one.  I'm suggesting a Yes/No choice, having Yes as recommended.  I'd imagine this to be fairly simple to do.

My trail of though would be that because of those hardware restarts, Messenger Plus! automatically disables script as a precaution, just in case something in one of the scripts is contributing to the problem. Although all scripts are tested, it doesn't mean that it can't happen as each computer is setup differently.

I suppose that's more for Patchou to explain but that would seem to be a logical reason to implement something like that.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
06-24-2007 12:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
My trail of though would be that because of those hardware restarts, Messenger Plus! automatically disables script as a precaution, just in case something in one of the scripts is contributing to the problem. Although all scripts are tested, it doesn't mean that it can't happen as each computer is setup differently.

My guess is thats exactly why it does it. But sometimes you can rule out script behavior.
06-24-2007 12:10 AM
themrb

O.P. RE: Two suggestions
Yeah.  I understand how logical it is, and it would be very useful if a script was playing up and locked you out of messenger.  However, that is not the case for me and it's just a nuisance, so I'm suggestion a choice whether or not you want to disable the scripts, i.e, if you know the scripts are not causing problems.  Because my scripts are definitely not causing a forced reboot on me.
06-24-2007 12:11 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Two suggestions
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid

My guess is thats exactly why it does it. But sometimes you can rule out script behavior.

Key word is sometimes. I do agree it can be annoying, but I suppose it's the risk you take with scripts and therefore Patchou does it for your safety. I'm still 50/50 on it and really don't mind which way it goes :P

This post was edited on 06-24-2007 at 12:15 AM by MattyRid.
06-24-2007 12:14 AM
themrb

Well, if you're not sure if it's your scripts or not, you can disable them as recommended.

However, if you're sure it's NOT your scripts, you can choose NOT to disable them.  That's factoring in for the sometimes.

This post was edited on 06-24-2007 at 12:33 AM by themrb.
06-24-2007 12:20 AM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
Actually I'm starting to think a good idea would be to make it an advanced option, so you have to specify that you need to be asked.
06-24-2007 12:26 AM
themrb

Mmm, that would work too, but I think I read somewhere about Patchou trying to keep the amount of options down.
06-24-2007 12:27 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Well, if you're not sure if it's your scripts or not, you can disable them as recommended.

However, if you're sure it's NOT your scripts, you can choose not to enable them.  That's factoring in for the sometimes.

and then what re-enable them all and then go through the same problem? better off enabling them one by one to see which one is causing it and then do it using different combinations of 2 or 3 scripts to narrow down the possibilities, might take time but it might benefit others around the world.
06-24-2007 12:28 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: