What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » What could be the problem?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
What could be the problem?
Author: Message:
lrac522

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  What could be the problem?
I have this combo DVD ROM Drive with Burner (Not a DVD burner) that worked ok  until I have re-done my system. From then the drive can't read any cd's except DVD's, it plays DVD quite ok but anything else it ask to insert disc in drive. What could be wrong? Thanks in advance. Hi all... :wave:
[Image: signature3phpga4.png]
06-25-2007 11:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: What could be the problem?
I have the same problem except I don't know if it reads DVDs or not. The drive is different in that it only reads and doesn't burn at all. It stopped working randomly and I don't know why..
06-25-2007 11:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Check your drivers and make sure you have installed the proper drivers from the manufacture for the DVD drive. Also try to remove them and install them again...

(?)

This post was edited on 06-25-2007 at 11:22 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2007 11:21 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Any drivers or software that came with the drive? I remember my DVD/CD-ROM reader/writer combo wouldn't play DVDs (don't know if it played CD-ROM at that time as i generally use my CD-ROM reader for that) at some point...until i reinstalled PowerDVD that came with it.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
06-25-2007 11:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine

drivers or software that came with the drive?

as far as i know normal dvd drives and cd drives don't have drivers they have packaged software and reinstalling them probally won't do much
the drivers are provided by windows unless you use a light scribe or something i would suggest u just mucked up the head or something about the physical drive.
i suggest getting a new one i paid more for my mouse than i paid for a dvd burner

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

06-26-2007 09:46 AM
lrac522

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: What could be the problem?
quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
as far as i know normal dvd drives and cd drives don't have drivers they have packaged software and reinstalling them probally won't do much
the drivers are provided by windows unless you use a light scribe or something i would suggest u just mucked up the head or something about the physical drive.
i suggest getting a new one i paid more for my mouse than i paid for a dvd burner

I think you are absolutely right...(Y)
[Image: signature3phpga4.png]
06-26-2007 07:19 PM
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
You should be able to get firmware updates off the manufactures website that fix little errors like these.

It has helped my friend out when he could only play DVD's
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
06-26-2007 08:28 PM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
I have this combo DVD ROM Drive with Burner (Not a DVD burner) that worked ok  until I have re-done my system

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
You should be able to get firmware updates off the manufactures website that fix little errors like these.

It has helped my friend out when he could only play DVD's

it is probaly not a firmware problem because it used to work fine your drive probaly is getting old and forgoten how to read cds

[edit: removed not funny joke]

This post was edited on 06-27-2007 at 08:33 AM by Jarrod.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

06-26-2007 09:37 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
Check that the drivers for your IDE/SATA controller are installed correctly and are up to date. If that doesn't work:

Does the drive make funny noises (as if it's trying to read the disk but can't) when trying to access a CD? If it does, then try cleaning the lens with special lens cleaning materials and fluid. (Whatever you do, don't use your fingers [fingerprints] or a random cloth [dust, sharp materials could scratch the lens]). The lens has a different read pattern for DVDs than CDs so if only part of the lens is covered / dirty this may be the problem.

If it doesn't make funny noises, find a bootable CD and try to boot to it from the BIOS. If it doesn't boot, then the drive is likely screwed. If it does boot, then there's a driver / configuration error with your Windows install.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
06-26-2007 10:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
as far as i know normal dvd drives and cd drives don't have drivers they have packaged software and reinstalling them probally won't do much the drivers are provided by windows unless you use a light scribe or something i would suggest u just mucked up the head or something about the physical drive. i suggest getting a new one i paid more for my mouse than i paid for a dvd burner
I think you are absolutely right...(y)
Each dvd/cd drive does come with drivers. And installing them does provide more (or better) functionality. Of course Windows has generic drivers for most brands, but that is just for basic support.

As for buying a new one, that is true though, they cost very little. If my drive would mallfunction I wouldn't bother trying to fix it either and I would just buy a new one...

.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-27-2007 11:36 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: