What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Idler - Idle on demand

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Idler - Idle on demand
Author: Message:
effection

Destroy The Runner

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Idler - Idle on demand
i have tried it a while ago when that method was used, possibly not the updated versions sorry i shall remove that dont worry :(

*edit sorry i read correctly how you made your status patcher and yeah mine is just a different way sorry once again

This post was edited on 06-30-2007 at 12:46 AM by effection.
06-30-2007 12:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Idler - Idle on demand
I see what you're doing in the script (and it answers my curiousity from that other thread), but I must say you're making things complicated (and very slow)... The script, or rather the method you used, can be optimized...

This post was edited on 06-30-2007 at 12:53 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-30-2007 12:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
effection

Destroy The Runner

– / Male / Flag
i'm not worried about speed, its the simplest test i could come up with to test my new project, that's why it's over complicated compared to your method.

For something like this il try my best to update to every version of msn that comes out, there's nothing much else you can do with patching scripts

This post was edited on 06-30-2007 at 12:53 AM by effection.
06-30-2007 12:52 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Idler - Idle on demand
quote:
Originally posted by effection
that's why it's over complicated compared to your method.
I understand you made the "idler" just as an example of what can be done. I was talking about the hooking method (and especially how it is scripted) itself.

As for the "idler" example itself, I don't find it a good example at all as I don't see any benfit with your method in any way. There is no advantage of the hooking and injected code at all and it is actually useless. All you do is in fact patching Messenger and forcing a status change so that Messenger changes the status to something else than original. This is exactly what I do in my script too.

Currently I see the method you used more as a POC (proof of concept)* than anything else...without any benefits. Since the user of this method can't do anything with the redirected calls. I mean, you can redirect a certain specific call (and one should be extremely carefull in what to redirect, you also can't inject a 'redirection' everywhere as you need a certain amount of opcodes to do it), but then what? It would be benefitial if people could actually use a callback function instead (big hint hint ;):p). Without such a callback function I'm afraid your method is of not much use other than injecting some precompiled ASM code which isn't that usefull on its own. And overall it has some big disadvantages and is not so versitile as you might think (hence the just-a-POC-feeling).

still cool that you took the time to do it though (y)

;)

* which didn't needed much proof imho... You can use Windows APIs in scripting, that means you can patch stuff in memory and use ASM in scripting, that means you can inject code and direct a call...It is just a lot of work...

This post was edited on 06-30-2007 at 05:52 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-30-2007 12:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
effection

Destroy The Runner

– / Male / Flag
Thank you cookie i would have to agree with you and i am writing something that can be used by other people and release the source so if theres anything they want to do (better) or add then they can.
06-30-2007 11:35 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: