What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Weird Windows Messenger Live Webcam problem.

Weird Windows Messenger Live Webcam problem.
Author: Message:
CrashBurn

O.P. Weird Windows Messenger Live Webcam problem.
I know this is a thread for Plus problems, but I have a problem with Windows Messenger Live itself. Maybe someone could help?

Just noticed now, that whatever capture source I use on Windows Messenger Live, it's artificially zoomed in. I was trying to show someone videos through my digital camcorder. It worked, but it was zoomed in. I switched to camera mode, and noticed my face was closer in the webcam view, than on the LCD screen of my camcorder.

I even tested out my plain old Creative Webcam, and Live Messenger is doing the same thing. All my other IM programs do not do this. Any ideas?
07-04-2007 11:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Weird Windows Messenger Live Webcam problem.
That happens to me aswell with my Canon Elura 100 DV Camcorder :p.

No idea why, never bothered to post about it though :S.
07-05-2007 12:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CrashBurn

O.P. RE: Weird Windows Messenger Live Webcam problem.
Does it also happen to you with other webcams? Mine's a Sony MiniDV Camcorder via Firewire. It does the same thing though with a very old Creative Labs Webcam.
07-05-2007 03:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Weird Windows Messenger Live Webcam problem.
It was like that for me too, but only if I connect it via a firewire (IEEE 1394) cable. If I connect it via USB (provided that USB driver is installed on the computer), it is OK. I reported it to Messenger team but I don't think they can fix that because;

According to the video system of camcorder (NTSC / PAL), camcorder sends the image in different pixel sizes. For NTSC, it is 720*480 and for PAL it is 720*576, and on the computer the image is shown by dividing the pixel number by 2, i.e., for NTSC it is 360*240, and for PAL it is 360*288. Note that although the ratio of the pixels is not 4*3, the image on the camcorder's screen is 4*3. I find it strange also. And as far as I know, webcam image size on Messsenger is 320*240. So if you pay attention, your face is not only zoomed but also a bit enlarged. I mean you look like a fat man.

My camcorders  are Sony DCR-HC40(NTSC) and Sony DCR-HC40E(PAL)
07-06-2007 07:44 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: