What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » CHKDSK startup problem

CHKDSK startup problem
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. CHKDSK startup problem
I got too many threads in Tech Talk lol...

Every time I start up my computer, CHKDSK starts. Problem is, it stops at stage 2 of 3.

[Image: dsc00565th9.jpg]

Then I restart my computer and it comes up again. At the start it says "You have 4 seconds to press any button to cancel" or something like that, which I now have to do.

Earlier I entered my XP Pro CD and went into 'Repair' and I then started a CHKDSK (which I found solved someones problem on a different forum). This stopped/froze at 25% and I had to restart.

[Image: dsc00568lf4.th.jpg]

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop the CHKDSK from starting up every time?

This post was edited on 07-06-2007 at 05:35 AM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-06-2007 05:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
RE: CHKDSK startup problem
I have to be honest now.. I don't know very much this CHKDSK on startup... But it always start when a error is discovered????
I also have made a search on my computer trying to find a CHKDSK, maybe you could open it and change opinions, but no results were found.
Maybe he "aparently" stops on 0%, but is it loading something???? Probably you will have to wait a few minutes (or maybe hours....)

Anyway.... if this is "fired" when a error occours, you could acess "My Computer" and open C: properties... Than go on the Tools Tab and then select to "verify now" (number 1 on my image)....

I don't think a Defragmentation (number 2) will help.... But.....

:S

[Image: attachment.php?pid=834081]

Edit: I'll make a search on google to know more about it.... ;)
Edit: I found some info on Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk... Maybe the best idea is to wait and let it finish... But you could enter on DOS and set the program to fix errors too (as I understand on the explanation on the site)....

And last thing, if my post is completely wrong, please, tell me... I'll not be mad or anything.... :)

.png File Attachment: imagem.PNG (36.76 KB)
This file has been downloaded 333 time(s).

This post was edited on 07-07-2007 at 01:50 AM by MicroWay.
07-06-2007 06:06 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: CHKDSK startup problem
Thanks for your post, I've been away so wasn't able to reply straight away.

I'm just doing an error check at the moment.

I think I should of left the chkdsk, as it can take a very long time as a gathered from the link you provided (thanks):

quote:
If you use chkdsk /f on a very large disk (for example, 70 gigabytes) or a disk with a very large number of files (for example, millions of files), chkdsk might take a long time (for example, over several days) to complete. The computer is not available during this time because chkdsk does not relinquish control until it is finished.

So I'll wait and see what the error checking does, then I'll do the chkdsk again and just leave it until it (hopefully) does something, then I'll post the results.

If all else fails, I'll try a defragmentation.

Thanks again. :)

P.S. No your not wrong :tongue:
But the "Verify now" button is actually "Check now" on English language Windows :happy:

Edit: The Error checking (which I understand is the same as chkdsk) didn't work:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=834661]

Doing a chkdsk using the command line gives me this:
[Image: pic2yu0.th.png]

So when I restart I'm guessing it's going to go back to how it was, stopping at stage 2, but I'll leave it all night if I have to...

Edit: Yeah the problem was I just didn't wait long enough :tongue: Thanks for your help.

.png File Attachment: Pic 1.png (4.33 KB)
This file has been downloaded 265 time(s).

This post was edited on 07-08-2007 at 11:03 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-08-2007 12:47 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: