What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN shows I have 1 extra email then I actually have

MSN shows I have 1 extra email then I actually have
Author: Message:
stu

Stu

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. MSN shows I have 1 extra email then I actually have
I've had this issue for a while, and signing out and then in again solves it - for a while anyways, but MSN shows my email count + 1. This gets really annoying because after Ive checked my email, it always shows me that I still have one new one.. Does anyone else have this problem? I have tried looking on google, but I couldnt find anything about it, so Im kind of stumped.

Everything is latest non-beta version (MSN, Plus), and using Mess patch as well, on XP Pro SP2
07-16-2007 05:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
AngelDevil

MsgPlus! Script Developer

34 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN shows I have 1 extra email then I actually have
Are you sure that there isn't an old mail don't read?
http://www.amicogeek.it - Technology blog!
07-17-2007 06:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stu

Stu

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MSN shows I have 1 extra email then I actually have
quote:
Originally posted by stu
signing out and then in again solves it

No, there is no old mail that I havent I read. The count is different between hotmail and MSN. It only happens sometimes though, and I have no idea what causes it.

This post was edited on 07-17-2007 at 02:46 PM by stu.
07-17-2007 02:42 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
yeah it happens, generally signing in out and or checking online emails will work
07-17-2007 03:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by stu
I've had this issue for a while, and signing out and then in again solves it - for a while anyways, but MSN shows my email count + 1. This gets really annoying because after Ive checked my email, it always shows me that I still have one new one.. Does anyone else have this problem? I have tried looking on google, but I couldnt find anything about it, so Im kind of stumped.

This can be related to the "unread email count" in Windows itself. The expiration setting might be a bit too high, and/or the unread email count is set wrong, and/or the program which tries to change this registry key doesn't have the proper access rights.

To reset it, see:
CookieRevised's reply to email glitching
if the program (Messenger) doesn't have the proper access right see the KB article links in the post listed above

This post was edited on 07-17-2007 at 06:43 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-17-2007 06:37 PM
stu

Stu

38 / Male / Flag
Ok, I reset the windows unread email count, and now it shows 0 (The welcome screen shows 0, and my G15 keyboard shows 0), but msn now (still) shows that I have 2 unread emails, when all of my emails are checked. I have been away all day today, this morning it said I only had one extra email, now it is saying I have two *-)

I just took a couple of screenshots with WLM & Hotmail (well, windows live hotmail), and made one email "unread", and then "read" again, and now windows is saying that I also have 2 unread emails again. I really have no idea what is going on lol. I have the correct access rights, and this always used to work properly, just hasnt been for the last few months or so.

.jpg File Attachment: untitled.JPG (18.82 KB)
This file has been downloaded 124 time(s).

This post was edited on 07-18-2007 at 03:29 AM by stu.
07-18-2007 03:27 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
strange...

Have you also looked at the (same) registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?

Oh, do all that resetting when Messenger is not running, just to make sure...

Btw, the linked post in my previous post talks about Plus! adding the total unread mails to the Windows unread mails number. This is for MSN Messenger 6 and below, in Plus Live you have a preference option for that: Plus! > Preferences > General > E-Mail Accounts > Update the unread e-mail count in my Windows account.
Have you tried disabling that? (although I have a feeling this wont solve it).

What you also could try (out of desperation :p) is moving all your mails from your inbox to another folder:
1) close Messenger completely
2) open hotmail
3) create a new folder
4) move all inbox emails to the new folder
5) click on sign out in hotmail and close the browser
6) reset all those registry keys again (both in HKCU and HKLM)
7) restart Messenger
8) check if the count is correct now, after recieving new email. If so (lets hope it is) put all the mails you moved before back to the inbox and check again...

other than that, I'm currently clueless...

This post was edited on 07-18-2007 at 09:14 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-18-2007 09:06 PM
stu

Stu

38 / Male / Flag
I dont have the UnreadMail key under Local_MAchine, its only under Current_User. I just reset them again with WLM completely closed, signed out of hotmail, so we'll see what happens, usually the count screws up after a day or so of being online (My computer is on pretty much 24/7, I run a webserver off it, I restart every few days though).
Disabling the "update unread email count...", isnt that only for when you are adding pop3 accounts? I dont think that will effect it, but have disabled it anyways..
As for moving all my emails into another folder, that would take forever, I have over 2500 emails in there dating back to early 2003 lol.
Im clueless as to what to do about this as well, lol. Maybe I'll try shooting an email off to MS, dont have high hopes for that though lol. Thanks for the help though
07-18-2007 10:59 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: