What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » best applications for a laptop

best applications for a laptop
Author: Message:
irishking05

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. best applications for a laptop
hey guys!

i have a question, i am going to be buying a laptop tommorrow, and i just want to know what are the best applications to have on my laptop?

things i use are:
photoshop
bit torrent
msn
google earth
firefox
itunes

anything else?

i will be making a dvd with all the applications for a quick installation whenever i format my laptop.

Thanks
07-24-2007 12:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: best applications for a laptop
I don't think you should ask what are the best applications.. I think you should look into what you want to do with your laptop, and then search for the application that fits most of your need in that category (aka, the best one for doing thing x).

Judging by your list, (bit torrent most likely) you might want to install an application similar to deamon tools, allowing you to create virtual drives for isos.

As for what's missing, a microsoft office suite, or a openoffice suite would be recommanded for any kind of work on the computer.

Oh, and maybe consider getting an operating system to run everything on it. =P
07-24-2007 12:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
irishking05

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: best applications for a laptop
quote:
Originally posted by albert
I don't think you should ask what are the best applications.. I think you should look into what you want to do with your laptop, and then search for the application that fits most of your need in that category (aka, the best one for doing thing x).

Judging by your list, (bit torrent most likely) you might want to install an application similar to deamon tools, allowing you to create virtual drives for isos.

As for what's missing, a microsoft office suite, or a openoffice suite would be recommanded for any kind of work on the computer.

Oh, and maybe consider getting an operating system to run everything on it. =P

:P the operating system is going to be windows vista home premium

and i already have office 2007
07-24-2007 12:54 AM
irishking05

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: best applications for a laptop
also how would i connect my windows xp system to my windows vista system to transfer files and remotely control the pcs?
07-24-2007 12:58 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
First off try not to double post, use the "edit" button instead.

As for connecting both of your computers together to transfer files, I believe there are USB cables to do such thing.

Actually the easiest way would be to put them on a network and share the folder where the files are. I don't know why it didn't hit me ealier.. :S

If you want to remote control your pc, you can use many programs including the included Remote Desktop offering in Windows XP Pro, yet what I would suggest would be using LogMeIn, which is a free service, and does a perfect job. http://logmein.com

This post was edited on 07-24-2007 at 01:15 AM by albert.
07-24-2007 01:02 AM
scott2010_h

32 / Male / Flag
i find tightvnc very useful also when I need to control my computer. It even has a file transfer feature --> http://www.tightvnc.com/
07-24-2007 02:03 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: