What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Msn Not working with 2 Routers.. ideas?

Msn Not working with 2 Routers.. ideas?
Author: Message:
Rexxyboy

O.P. Msn Not working with 2 Routers.. ideas?
Hi. I have a STUDIO room in my house with two computers hooked up via LAN cables to a Netgear 4 port (+ wireless) router, WGR614 i think.

This router is then plugged via ethernet cable into a NETCOMM ADSL modem (also a 4 port + wireless router) at the other end of the house.  This computer has 2 computers hooked up via LAN and uses a wirelss point for the laptops etc (yes a big house with LOTS of computers!). This modem (Netcomm) ADSL line feeds into the house.

I can access Internet pages and emails fine on my STUDIO computers, but I  cannot log into msn messenger. My Windows XP firewall's are OFF, using service pack 2. If i use wireless to connect to the Main ADSL router with wireless then it works, but i prefer to use LAN as i get 100% connection intead of 40 or 50%.

Any ideas will be appreciated. I have read about port forwarding but i'm not clear on exactly what i should do to make it work and which router to configure!
Cheers, Rexx.
08-03-2007 02:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Msn Not working with 2 Routers.. ideas?
While I don't think it should prevent you from logging into Messenger, you should never chain two NAT routers.  It will cause many problems.

For connecting wired devices, you can replace the second router with a switch or a hub.  If you need to extend the wireless coverage, there are wireless range extenders for that.
08-03-2007 05:27 AM
Rexxyboy

O.P. RE: Msn Not working with 2 Routers.. ideas?
Thanks for your reply. It works fine, just the messenger part.
I'll look into port forwarding. Wireless is ok i guess, but LAN works much better.
Cheers.
Rexx.
08-03-2007 05:55 AM
Adeptus

RE: Msn Not working with 2 Routers.. ideas?
It doesn't "work fine".  It may seem so where protocols involving outbound connections only are concerned, but such a setup completely breaks UPnP and makes manual port forwarding very difficult (as it would need to be done on both routers).  It will keep biting you in subtle ways -- things mostly working, but with exceptions (prime examples being voice and file transfer in IM programs, many games).

As I stated before, if Messenger still operates the same it did last time I looked, I don't think your setup should be stopping Messenger from connecting.  Nevertheless, you are strongly advised to get rid of it -- it is fundamentally broken.
08-03-2007 06:28 AM
Rexxyboy

O.P. RE: Msn Not working with 2 Routers.. ideas?
Its not 'broken'! its FINE! After more time on it set up some 'rules' in my Necomm ADSL2+ router setup pages (port forwarding TAB) which relate specifically to MSN messenger ports and now it connects as it should, including voice. Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated.

Rexx.

08-05-2007 04:07 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: