What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Partition Help

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Partition Help
Author: Message:
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Partition Help
I'm going to assume you have all your files in the My Documents folder. You can format and set the new drive to another drive leter then go "Start"->Right Click on My Documents then change the path to the new driver letter. Of cores you would have to copy all of the "My Documents" folder over to the new drive.

I will tell you that using a Raid-0 is a Very, Very, Bad idea. Spaning a OS over two drives is just seting your self up for disaster.

All these options are good but if you were going to make a RAID-0 I would recomand buying 2 more dirves and make it a RAID-5 with backup.
[Image: sig.png]
08-09-2007 02:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Snake
I will tell you that using a Raid-0 is a Very, Very, Bad idea. Spaning a OS over two drives is just seting your self up for disaster.
As stated elsewhere in this thread, RAID-0 doubles (or triples, if you use three drives, and so forth) the chance of drive failure.  The MTBF of the array is MTBF of a single drive / number of drives. 

Given the high MTBF of modern drives, it's still not a huge risk -- but it is a risk, nevertheless.  The risk is usually taken for performance reasons, since good RAID-0 should have data transfer rate almost equal that of a single drive * the number of drives.
quote:
Originally posted by Snake
All these options are good but if you were going to make a RAID-0 I would recomand buying 2 more dirves and make it a RAID-5 with backup.
You only need one more drive for RAID-5  -- the minimum is considered to be 3 and theorethically it could work with 2 (but then you would be much better off using RAID-1).  However, the more drives you have, the more cost effective it becomes -- the capacity of RAID-5 is the combined capacity minus one drive.

The problem with RAID-5 is horrible write performance, which gets worse with the number of drives -- after each write, the corresponding data zones on the remaining drives have to be read (if not already cached), the parity computed, and the corresponding parity zone updated.  Software RAID-5 (which includes most low end motherboard-integrated controllers) is pathetic and I'd not consider it if I couldn't afford a decent controller, with an adequate dedicated processor and a good amount of dedicated cache memory.

This post was edited on 08-09-2007 at 04:17 AM by Adeptus.
08-09-2007 04:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
LoochTheMan

= Su-Fi =

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Partition Help
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan
How would I go about just creating another drive ( I already have c: ) with the remaining 250 GB?
Start, Run, type "diskmgmt.msc", click Ok.  When Disk Management console appears, find your second drive, which should show as all free space -- right click in the free space and create a new volume.  I don't recall the exact verbiage of the menu, but it should be obvious.

I have an MDG and on the back of the CPU tower it says 2 x 250 GB (500GB)...and yet I do not see this second disk drive. Whats wrong with this picture?

[Image: t_previewm_facfe4a.jpg]
[Image: dane_banner_01.gif]

"That Dane Cook Is A Silly Bitch"

08-09-2007 05:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

According to that screenshot, you only have one 250GB hard drive -- or, perhaps, two configured as RAID-1 mirror set on an onboard RAID controller.  That pretty much eliminates all the things we've been discussing so far. 

If you have two drives in a mirror set, you can probably break it and do something else -- but that could get slightly complicated.
08-09-2007 06:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: