What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » switched from 7.5 vers. - Custom Emotions Lost ?

switched from 7.5 vers. - Custom Emotions Lost ?
Author: Message:
Hapi

66 / Female / –
O.P. switched from 7.5 vers. - Custom Emotions Lost ?
Here is my problem : you probably heard this before
these two links I have review (given to me by Matty)
they are sorta old, but gives me Hope !

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=25...d=246186#pid246186

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=18...d=163605#pid163605

at least I do hope I am on the right track to accomplishing this task :D

I have located both :

my com / local disk / doc settings / owner/application data / microsoft / msn messenger / 14240...... the TFRE.dat files

and

Doc settings / owner / local settings / temp / messenger cache

I read this : browse that directory with a graphics program which can reconize graphic formats by their contents you can easly pick the ones you need and copy them.

I use Photo Shop Pro - but i couldnt figure out how not important is it ?

This has done my head in ... im exhausted ! 8o|

What it is, I finally have window live messanger but none of my custom emotions came with it and I have 6 year collection of them I'm very upset

how do I get them in my new messenger

besides all my special friends had special background selected for them.
If it hadn't taken me 10 months to get the msgr live uploaded i would try the system restore... seriously since last oct/nov all I get when I click get it free was the hmmm can't find that page. for some reason msgr offered me the upgrade this morn. and I tried it and it worked for a min i was hapi until I noticed how plain it was and that everything is light blue even the notifications are plain.  I want my emotions so I have tried here and there microsoft help sites are really bad, terrible support so when I seen Matty sign on I grabbed him and he sent me here.

do i drag them or copy paste  ?

please I need very easy clear instructions as I am not very good at this.

and if so which folder do they go in ... Rats this is aggervating

please help me !
:type:  Hapi2KnowU
08-24-2007 03:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: switched from 7.5 vers. - Custom Emotions Lost ?
1) Make a totally independant temporary folder (eg: C:\myemoticons)
2) Copy every .DAT, .DT2, (and .PNG) from
"\Documents and Settings\<windows accountname>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<ID number>\"
and
"%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<.NET passport>\ObjectStore\CustomEmoticons"
to that temporary folder
3) Remove both messenger directories
4) Go to your temporary folder with all the copied files and rename every single file to .PNG (if they aren't already named liked that)
5) remove duplicates images if you have some (check with an image viewer)
6) start Windows Live Messenger and start adding the icons in the proper way by going to Tools > Emoticons > Create... > Find Image
7) remove your temporary folder

Edit: Custom emoticons problem?

This post was edited on 08-24-2007 at 11:11 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
08-24-2007 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hapi

66 / Female / –
O.P. RE: switched from 7.5 vers. - Custom Emotions Lost ?
Hi, ty Sunshine

I have copied all the folders to new folders and changed the dat and dt2  to .png  - Thanks ever so much ... that was alot of renaming ! -  all the duplicates are removed

I followed the link that was given and need to know first

1. Must I rename them before adding to the WLM or name them and add shortcut when i select the file ?

2. Do I copy the .id2 files or leave them to be deleted ? - I did not yet do step 3 is that going to be a problem ?  I am going to delete the directories, clean cookies / then reboot / then begin adding them back from my temporary file.

"\Documents and Settings\<windows accountname>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<ID number>\"
and
"%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<.NET passport>\ObjectStore\CustomEmoticons"

3. Would it be a good idea to just zip that file incase I want to add it to my other computer at sometime or share them with a friend, as that was alot of changing extensions hate to just delete that folder. 

and last but not least. Do I do this same procedure for the backgrounds and winks also with png ext ?
08-24-2007 10:35 PM
exbox

try this program, it will change the extension automatically (for smileys, display pictures and i think backgrounds also), and save them as a backup for you.

http://www.sherv.net/backup.html

GOOGLE is your friend.
08-25-2007 06:09 AM
Hapi

66 / Female / –
thanks exbox, I did that first but it didnt load in the new msgr
Besides it wont let you add says you have a file named this already when you try.

I'll check back tomorrow as its late now I have to get to sleep Nite.
08-25-2007 07:04 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Hapi
Hi, ty Sunshine

I have copied all the folders to new folders and changed the dat and dt2  to .png  - Thanks ever so much ... that was alot of renaming ! -  all the duplicates are removed

I followed the link that was given and need to know first

1. Must I rename them before adding to the WLM or name them and add shortcut when i select the file ?
Rename to .png in the temp folder you made before adding them back in...WLM won't recognise them as images if you don't rename the extension first..
quote:
2. Do I copy the .id2 files or leave them to be deleted ? - I did not yet do step 3 is that going to be a problem ?  I am going to delete the directories, clean cookies / then reboot / then begin adding them back from my temporary file.
Leave them to be deleted you don't need them, you got the image files out already...WLM will make those files new when you add your emoticons back in. It is important that you do step 3..otherwise you are gonna get an error message saying "The image you chose is already being used for another emoticon. Please choose another image" when you re-ad them.
quote:
and
Delete those (Step 3).
quote:
3. Would it be a good idea to just zip that file incase I want to add it to my other computer at sometime or share them with a friend, as that was alot of changing extensions hate to just delete that folder.

Step 7 is optional, ofcourse you can keep that folder for the future or zip the files if you want.
quote:
and last but not least. Do I do this same procedure for the backgrounds and winks also with png ext ?

I thought the problem was just the emoticons? Any non-dynamic custom content can be renamed to .png (note: never ever do this in the original folder!). For backing up dynamic content i suggest you use Baisoft - MSN BackUp. You can also use this program once you fixed the emoticon problem to backup everything (it won't work for the emoticons now as those are "buggered up")..you can put them all back at once with that program too (or move custom content from one computer to another by installing the program on both computers and transfering the backups it made to the other computer and import again there).

This post was edited on 08-25-2007 at 10:45 AM by Sunshine.
08-25-2007 10:40 AM
Hapi

66 / Female / –
Thanks for that information,

1. Please explain why wasn't I instructed in the beginning to use Baisoft ?  Wouldn't that be the way to go If I wanted to load them all at once back in my newest Messanger version 8.1 ?       1a. Is it too late to use Baisoft ? or should I continue ?

2. Those files in step 2 : I didn't bugger them up ?? the files were simply just copid and pasted.

3. The instructions from post 2, says I have to upload and create each one back one at a time ~ give it a name and a keyboard shortcut code  VS adding them all at once I assume then they would have to be modified each separate to name and give a keyboard shortcut code ?

Thanks again for your easy to understand assistance!
08-25-2007 04:30 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Thanks for that information,

1. Please explain why wasn't I instructed in the beginning to use Baisoft ?  Wouldn't that be the way to go If I wanted to load them all at once back in my newest Messanger version 8.1 ?       1a. Is it too late to use Baisoft ? or should I continue ?
You weren't instructed to use Baisoft from the beginning because the emoticons are buggered up in the folder..you need to "repair" that first. Just follow every step in my first post and all will be fine.
quote:
2. Those files in step 2 : I didn't bugger them up ?? the files were simply just copid and pasted.
I never said you did. They are "buggered" up in the sense that WLM didn't recognise some of them in the original folder(s).
quote:
3. The instructions from post 2, says I have to upload and create each one back one at a time ~ give it a name and a keyboard shortcut code  VS adding them all at once I assume then they would have to be modified each separate to name and give a keyboard shortcut code ?

Yes, you have to re-ad them back the regular way, one by one. Later on when you make backups with Baisoft you can back them up and put them back all at once.
quote:
Thanks again for your easy to understand assistance!

You're welcome :)

This post was edited on 08-25-2007 at 04:58 PM by Sunshine.
08-25-2007 04:55 PM
Hapi

66 / Female / –
got it thanks very much - your awesome
08-25-2007 07:02 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
got it thanks very much - your awesome
08-25-2007 08:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: