What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows messenger 5.1 compatibility

Windows messenger 5.1 compatibility
Author: Message:
beebee

O.P. Windows messenger 5.1 compatibility
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am looking for some help. I have Windows messenger 5.1, and am hoping to communicate with someone using MSN messenger.  I have read that they are compatible, but I want to make sure this will work.  I like my messenger much better than all the hyped up versions.  It's very clean, simple, uncluttered, no ads,and is a small file, which seems to use few resources compared to the other messengers (please correct me if I'm wrong). 

I recently updated from 4.7 to 5.1 and I hope this was not a mistake, because I really liked 4.7.  Will this new version work just as well, and does it have any undesirable qualities?  I would like to know, since I have not used it yet.  Anyway I would like to know which messengers my version will be compatible with (Windows Live, MSN, Yahoo?), how compatible it will be, and what problems or limitations I might encounter.  Thank you in advance.

P.S.  How can I remove the customer service improvement link in my messenger?  I really annoys me.
08-29-2007 11:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Windows messenger 5.1 compatibility
Windows Messenger 5.1 is compatible with all Windows Messenger, MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger versions (in short: all Microsoft IM clients). Version 5.1 is an improvement over the previous version as it gives you more control over the settings (visible differences, there might be under the hood improvements too).

The only things you won't be able to see and do are the hyped up things you speak about that are in MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger. You will not be able to speak with Yahoo IM users with Windows Messenger, that is only possible with Windows Live Messenger.

The Customer Improvement link can be removed by clicking on it and choosing either Yes (if you wish to send anonymous stats to help improve messenger) or No.

This post was edited on 08-29-2007 at 01:24 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
08-29-2007 01:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Shiny Rabbit

oohhh shiny

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows messenger 5.1 compatibility
quote:
Originally posted by beebee  It's very clean, simple, uncluttered, no ads,and is a small fileice

clean, simple, uncluttered: since WLM has many more features, it would be a bit more cluttered but it's more the same as older versions of messenger and the interface on the 8.5 beta is just MWUAH

no ads:looks like someone hasnt heard of messpatch

small file:you say that as though 15MBs is too much for an IM client

anyway, i'm not going to force WLM on you

This post was edited on 08-29-2007 at 07:00 PM by Shiny Rabbit.
[Image: 202-3.png][Image: shinyhachunesig.png]

08-29-2007 06:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
beebee

O.P. RE: Windows messenger 5.1 compatibility
Sunshine, thank you very much for that information, and thank you for responding in such a pleasant and respectful manner.  I really appreciate it.  You have answered all my questions.
08-29-2007 11:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: