What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Microsoft banning old MSN versions?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Shocked  Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
I'm using MSN v7.5.0322. Now when I try to login a window pops up displaying the message:"A new version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?" If I choose NO, the MSN will close and won't connect. IN the past, until yesterday sometimes a message similar to this informed me of the new version but gave me the option to continue using MSN v7. Does this mean I have to migrate all data from the contacts to the new v8.1? I'm pissed off, this will demand a lot of work as I have to manually copy all individual contact data stored in Plus! to the new version. Also, if I can't login with the old version, how can I access such data to be able to migrate? Thanks.
09-13-2007 05:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
AceyUnLtd

Don't call me late to dinner

49 / Male / Flag
RE: Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
Check here. Might help you.

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
to stop the update read here
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=22548&view=findpost&p=169707

Toon logic applies when toon physics is seen so stop by Into Your Head or
IllitPress.com

I like to
Mess With MSN Messenger
09-13-2007 05:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
Thanks, I already read the suggested workaround. I'm just afraid of logging out of my current MSN connected identities to later find out that the workaround won't work, in which case I won't be able to access the contacts' data sotred in Plus!.
09-13-2007 05:52 AM
AceyUnLtd

Don't call me late to dinner

49 / Male / Flag
Seems the trick works for some people but others ended up getting a much longer list. Could be from people they removed over time or didn't add when they received a request.
Toon logic applies when toon physics is seen so stop by Into Your Head or
IllitPress.com

I like to
Mess With MSN Messenger
09-13-2007 08:00 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
I'm using MSN v7.5.0322. Now when I try to login a window pops up displaying the message:"A new version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?" If I choose NO, the MSN will close and won't connect. IN the past, until yesterday sometimes a message similar to this informed me of the new version but gave me the option to continue using MSN v7. Does this mean I have to migrate all data from the contacts to the new v8.1? I'm pissed off, this will demand a lot of work as I have to manually copy all individual contact data stored in Plus! to the new version. Also, if I can't login with the old version, how can I access such data to be able to migrate? Thanks.
You will not have to copy data from Plus!3 to Plus!Live, if you don't uninstall Plus!3 prior to installing Plus!Live, settings where possible will be migrated (no Plus!3 custom names, since WLM has that now).

If you don't like Windows Live Messenger you can also choose to use MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 (Plus!3 should work fine on it):
MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 for Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millenium and Windows XP

Rectification: Even tho it says in the system requirements of 7.0.0820 that you can run it on WinXP you are not supposed to do so. WinXP has gotten into the requirements by mistake, this will be fixed. MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 will only run on OS'es pre-Windows XP (with the exception of Win 95, people on that should use MSN Messenger 5.0)..all on WinXP and Vista will have to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger.

For more information on why the update etc. see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-054, Vulnerability in MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger Could Allow Remote Code Execution (942099)

The work around talked about will probably soon stop working soon too, eventually you will not be able to sign in with 7.5 anymore (and whilst you do you are putting your computer at risk)! Users on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millenium will be forced to upgrade to 7.0.0820.

This post was edited on 09-15-2007 at 09:36 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-13-2007 12:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
I thought everything migrated automatically when you upgrade to WLM or a new version of MSN.
09-13-2007 01:55 PM
alegator

Sunshine, what about "Contact Information..." in Messenger Plus Extras, do I have to copy that info also, or will it be transferred automatically? Also, my MSN Block and Allow list will be automatically preserved when upgrading or all my current blocked contacts will show as "Allowed" in Windlows Live? And when you say that I'm putting my PC at risk when using v7.5 from what I read the only MSN vulnerability is when using the webcam, but if I don't use it then v7.5 is as secure as Windows Live, right?Thanks.

This post was edited on 09-13-2007 at 03:19 PM by alegator.
09-13-2007 03:15 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Whatever is possible to migrate will be migrated. Nothing will be (should be) altered in your contact list, this includes block/allow...your contactlist is stored on MSN/WLM server. Same goes for custom content, the upgrading process of messenger will migrate those over to the new storage location.

About the vulnerability:
quote:
Originally posted by http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/09/12/technical-tips-and-insights-on-ms07-054-and-kb941835.aspx

The vulnerability is specifically in the webcam protocol and is only exercisable during an established videochat session. An attack can’t happen unless you accept a videochat invitation from a malicious user.

And by default you can only videochat with people on your buddy list. However, if you accept a webcam videochat invitation from a malicious attacker, you can be exploited even if you don't have a webcam yourself. We support one-way video chat, so until you upgrade to either 7.0.0820 or 8.1, be especially cautious about accepting webcam videochat invitations.

I do believe Contact Information in Plus! Live is somewhat different from Plus!3, here is what it looks like:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=848299]

.png File Attachment: ContactInfoPlusLive.PNG (30.73 KB)
This file has been downloaded 3600 time(s).

This post was edited on 09-13-2007 at 03:40 PM by Sunshine.
09-13-2007 03:39 PM
alegator

Thanks. Is there a way to create a print list of my allow/block list or do I have to manually do it? Same for my current 7.5 custom names, etc
09-13-2007 03:53 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
You're welcome :)

I fear (not read about another solution myself..if anyone did please correct me) you have to do that manually and edit contacts in Windows Live Messenger one by one too to put in nicknames, adresses, birthdays, notes whatever you saved in Plus!3 before that will not be migrated.

This post was edited on 09-13-2007 at 04:36 PM by Sunshine.
09-13-2007 04:34 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: