What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Microsoft banning old MSN versions?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. RE: Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
Thanks again, and finally, what about my display pictures, emoticons and winks, will those be preserved?
09-13-2007 04:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
They will be, but before hand make sure you gave/give your custom emoticons names (more than 4 chars i believe it was..but don't pin me on the amount there)..WLM requires them to be named. Making sure you do this will prevent you from (possibly) having to restore them as i explained in switched from 7.5 vers. - Custom Emotions Lost ?

This post was edited on 09-13-2007 at 05:02 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-13-2007 04:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
Great, I forgot about chat logs, they are stored in My Documents/My Chat Logs. Will the new Plus! recognize them?
09-13-2007 06:48 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Yes, the Plus! Live Chat Log Viewer will also read chat logs made with Plus!3
09-13-2007 07:07 PM
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
I'm using MSN v7.5.0322. Now when I try to login a window pops up displaying the message:"A new version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?" If I choose NO, the MSN will close and won't connect. IN the past, until yesterday sometimes a message similar to this informed me of the new version but gave me the option to continue using MSN v7. Does this mean I have to migrate all data from the contacts to the new v8.1? I'm pissed off, this will demand a lot of work as I have to manually copy all individual contact data stored in Plus! to the new version. Also, if I can't login with the old version, how can I access such data to be able to migrate? Thanks.
You will not have to copy data from Plus!3 to Plus!Live, if you don't uninstall Plus!3 prior to installing Plus!Live, settings where possible will be migrated (no Plus!3 custom names, since WLM has that now).

If you don't like Windows Live Messenger you can also choose to use MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 (Plus!3 should work fine on it):
MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 for Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millenium and Windows XP

For more information on why the update etc. see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-054, Vulnerability in MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger Could Allow Remote Code Execution (942099)

The work around talked about will probably soon stop working soon too, eventually you will not be able to sign in with 7.5 anymore (and whilst you do you are putting your computer at risk)! Users on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millenium will be forced to upgrade to 7.0.0820.

I installed MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 and it is also being banned from connection by Miscrosoft....how come?
09-15-2007 02:21 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
I installed MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 and it is also being banned from connection by Miscrosoft....how come?
Yep, I didn't know this myself till this morning so i'll have to rectify all my posts i made about this but:

Even tho it says in the system requirements of 7.0.0820 that you can run it on WinXP you are not supposed to do so. WinXP has gotten into the requirements by mistake, this will be fixed. MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 will only run on OS'es pre-Windows XP..all on WinXP and Vista will have to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger.
09-15-2007 09:21 AM
x-laurna

Huh?  RE: Microsoft banning old MSN versions?
I Have a Problem...
I didnt want to upgrade to the new msn messenger live so i downloaded the 7.0.0820 version, does any one know if you can get a version of plus for it and where, cuz i cant find one....

Tah :D
09-27-2007 02:29 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by x-laurna
I Have a Problem...
I didnt want to upgrade to the new msn messenger live so i downloaded the 7.0.0820 version, does any one know if you can get a version of plus for it and where, cuz i cant find one....

Tah :D

Messenger Plus! 3 should be compatible.. On the messenger plus live website, there is a link to download older versions of plus
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-27-2007 02:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Volcano1985

39 / Male / –
Install msn 7.5 then click right on msn desktop icon.Properties,work as under windows 2000.....
09-27-2007 02:34 PM
x-laurna

Didnt work volcano just sed error send or dont send :S

Cudnt find msn plus 3 either.... lol
09-27-2007 02:41 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version