What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MessengerLive and contactcoll.cache makes "System" process use 100% of CPU (solved!)

MessengerLive and contactcoll.cache makes "System" process use 100% of CPU (solved!)
Author: Message:
haretz

O.P. MessengerLive and contactcoll.cache makes "System" process use 100% of CPU (solved!)
Hi all!

First of all I did a search of my problem on the forums looking if it was replied yet, but i didn't found anything.

I was using a previous version of Messenger Live but I had to update to a newer one by obligation as you now. (Note: the problem is with versions 8.1.xx and 8.5.xx)

I did a newer installation, deleting all the previous info on the registry and all the folders with info of the contacts list and another stuff. Some minutes after log-in into my account I can see how the use of my CPU is increasing up to 100%. Ctrl+Alt+Del. The process causing that is "System" (not confuse with System Idle process). With another task monitor called "Process Explorer" I found is caused by multiples access to those files:
code:
C:\Documents and Settings\my_user\Configuración local\Datos de programa\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\my_mail\shadow\contactcoll.cache
C:\Documents and Settings\my_user\Contacts\my_mail\contactcoll.cache
That makes my computer go slow by the amount of access to those files.

I have to say I have about 850 contacts with that account (because I cannot delete anyone, but that's another problem). So I tried to log-in with another accounts (one with 200 contacts and another with only 10) and that never happens :( And I also tried to log-in the huge account in another computer (better than mine) and happens the same :( I have an XP2600+ 1GB Ram.

Any ideas?
Also any help about the deleting problem?

Thanks a lot in advance! ;)

This post was edited on 09-19-2007 at 06:39 AM by haretz.
09-19-2007 03:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
haretz

O.P. RE: Messenger Live reading contactcoll.cache makes "System" process use 100% of CPU
Problem solved! :D

Reading a spanish blog I found that:

quote:
Originally posted by http://neojos.spaces.live.com/blog/
Este problema solo ocurre en computadoras que tienen Messenger 7.5 o superior o Live Messenger y NOD32 scanner, lo que pasa es que el modulo AMON (sobretodo cuando tienes mas de 200 contactos agregados) comienza a analizar infinitamente contactcoll.cache y eso provoca que el proceso system ocupe todo lo que puede de procesador y vuelve a la maquina en cuestion un ladrillo.

La solucion es agregar a la lista de exluciones de AMON (en configuracion tab exclusions) la ruta:

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\###USUARIO###\CONTACTS\

Donde ###USUARIO### es el usuario que tiene el problema.

Y listo, eso deja de meterse con los contactos del Messenger y tu sistema vuelve a funcionar como siempre.

The problem was origined by antivirus NOD32, and the solution is excluding the folders to being readed by the antivirus daemon.

And about the deleting problem... I found that I cannot delete some contacts at the same time, has to be 1 by 1 ^^

Thanks anyway ;)

This post was edited on 09-19-2007 at 06:40 AM by haretz.
09-19-2007 06:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: