What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Cannot delete myself from reverse list

Cannot delete myself from reverse list
Author: Message:
Snowmew

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Cannot delete myself from reverse list
I have accidentally added myself to my contact list. I have tried removing myself from the contact list and also deleting myself from the allow/block list but it still won't remove me from my reverse list. This way it always keeps asking whether I want to allow or block myself. Feels really bad.

Any help? Please? I have tried adding and removing myself from another contact and it got removed from the reverse list. Therefore time will not solve this problem. Why won't it remove me from the reverse list when I log in?
10-18-2007 12:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Cannot delete myself from reverse list
Time might solve your problem too. Because in the past the same time :) solved some of problems with Messenger lists.
quote:
Originally posted by Snowmew
I have tried removing myself from the contact list and also deleting myself from the allow/block list but it still won't remove me from my reverse list.
I didn't understand one thing here. Did you only try the above but not succeed deleting? or could you also delete you from both lists successfully once?
10-19-2007 01:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Snowmew

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Cannot delete myself from reverse list
I've did it! I'll explain. When someone deletes you from their contact list they disappear from your reverse list. However the problem was that after I've accidentally invited myself on Live Spaces, I got the message that I have added myself but it did not add me to my contact list even if I checked the add to contact list box.

Here is the solution. Using Noroom's ListManager or Miranda IM, add yourself to your contact list. You will always appear as offline to yourself. Now start Live Messenger and remove yourself. Violà!

It seems that when you remove someone, Messenger signals the server to remove you from that person's reverse list. Therefore the reverse list is an actual list so I don't know why these 3rd party programs can't maintain them.
10-19-2007 06:19 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Cannot delete myself from reverse list
quote:
Here is the solution.
Did you solve your problem on your own? :S

quote:
Using Noroom's ListManager or Miranda IM, add yourself to your contact list. You will always appear as offline to yourself.
I don't know Miranda, but Noroom's ListManager already sets your status to Appear Offline to prevent people message you while you're cleaning your lists, and you can't change it.

Also I added myself to my contact list using Noroom's ListManager, then signin to WLM, I saw myself Online, then I deleted myself, and refreshed my Messenger session, and I could delete myself from the Allow list too. You said that you couldn't do this, could you?
10-19-2007 07:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Snowmew

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Grin  RE: Cannot delete myself from reverse list
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Did you solve your problem on your own? :S

Yes. The problem was that I thought that either at logon or logoff the server checks all contacts on your reverse list if they still have you on their contact list. But no. The only way names come off the reverse list is when they remove you from their contact list.

I guess they want to spare the traffic of going through the contact list of every contact on your reverse list to check if there is still a match for every contact. This would require logarithmically more query than a simple check on who is online.
10-19-2007 07:30 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: