What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Different sessions in recorded events

Different sessions in recorded events
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Different sessions in recorded events
quote:
Originally posted by me in this post
Also it says "Sessions:" there but there are no sessions. So seperate sessions which start with signing in and end with signing out will be nice too in order to analyze events better.
Then, noone warned me about there are sessions really which starts with signing in and signing out. But now I've noticed that my computer sometimes, in some log files, create different sessions but sometimes doesn't.

I keep logs of events "in current chat log's directory, by date" and as XML files. But sometimes, new files are created. For example Recorded Events, Recorded Events (2)....in a month folder. I think this can be caused with changing language of Plus!. So it may be normal, but why does it, in some of them, show seperate sessions while for some it doesn't?

Is it enough to signing out and re-signing in for sessions to split or should we Exit WLM for splitting log files into different sessions?

This post was edited on 05-28-2007 at 03:36 PM by ahmetgns.
05-24-2007 09:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Different sessions in recorded events
A new Record Events xml file is created when the old one is currently open and locked (for example, if you have two messenger instances running, then the second instance will write to Record Events (2).xml).
05-24-2007 12:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Different sessions in recorded events
And a session starts when you sign in and ends when you sign out (as you can see in a events log itself).

PS: note that not all things you encounter or don't understand why they happen are automatically bugs. Thread reported to be moved to "Help & Support".

This post was edited on 05-24-2007 at 06:09 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-24-2007 06:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Different sessions in recorded events
Yes, this is a bug.
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns in this thread

Messenger Plus!
Recorded Events

Sessions:

Date:------- Time:------

* ahmetgns hopes those will be made translatable

At that thread, I said I didn't care much about that. But now I care it.

Why aren't there sessions sometimes? I have finally figured out the problem after a hard work. Users of Plus! who use Patchou's original english version can never realize this bug because the bug appears only when users use a translation of Plus!.

In translation files, there is a section [RecordedEvents] and under it there is a key namely CurrentUser and we are supposed to translate that key. But when we translate it, log files can't be split into sessions because Events Style Sheet looks for the word Current User in an event log file in order to split sessions. (And event entries aren't shown currently in light yellow colour for current users but in standard grey colour, if user uses a translation. So finding current users' events is still not easy.)

I think this should be fixed because logging events don't help to international users, but it appears as a big pain for them to analyze events afterwards.

So my solutions:

1- Patchou may write an explanation there for translators either such ";Don't translate this key, leave it how it is" or such ";Remove this key from your translation file (Note that, in this case international users again have to see English words and sentences like my examples above and like "New session started on......."
2- Or keep the current translations of that key in the language files and make a system which changes specific words in events style sheet according to users language choice (or many style sheets which are translated to official languages may come with the setup). I prefer this second solution, although I don't know how it can be done, but I am sure you can find a beautiful solution for it).

**Another improvement can (and must) be done: When we click on any date for sessions in the event log, page is wheeled to the specific point but the title "New session started on......." appears at the top of the page. However the events for that new session is above that title. So I would like to see "New session started....." title at the bottom of the page when clicked. So I can immediately see my sign-in above the title and so on.
05-28-2007 03:35 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Different sessions in recorded events
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
2- Or keep the current translations of that key in the language files and make a system which changes specific words in events style sheet according to users language choice (or many style sheets which are translated to official languages may come with the setup). I prefer this second solution, although I don't know how it can be done, but I am sure you can find a beautiful solution for it).
that wouldn't solve it. You would simply shift the problem to all other languages (incl. English) except the one you've selected.

This shouldn't/can't be solved with a translation related fix. The only way to solve it is to let Plus! add and write a dedicated attribute to one of the tags into the event log which indicates the current event line as one from the current user (and to make a new style sheet which reconizes this of course).

But note that whatever you do it would not be downwards compatible, so your old event logs will still not be viewed correctly.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
**Another improvement can (and must) be done: When we click on any date for sessions in the event log, page is wheeled to the specific point but the title "New session started on......." appears at the top of the page. However the events for that new session is above that title. So I would like to see "New session started....." title at the bottom of the page when clicked. So I can immediately see my sign-in above the title and so on.
This is not possible. If you like to change it you better change the order from descending  to ascending in the Event Log style sheet.

This post was edited on 05-29-2007 at 11:19 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-29-2007 10:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Different sessions in recorded events
BUMP!

Has been something done for this problem? If not, is going to be done until version 4.50?
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou in this  thread
A new filtering option for file events has been added to Plus! 4.50
People can now filter contacts for file events, and if they filter theirselves with the method written in this thread, then events log files won't be split into sessions, even in English version of Plus!.

The best solution is CookieRevised's solution, I think. There must be a dedicated attribute for new session.

In fact there is [NewSession/] tags in Log files, but those are created only when Messenger starts (edit: I may be wrong on this :( edit2: I think, it is created for the first sign in after starting messenger, then for next signing ins, it isn't created anymore until messenger closed and reopened), and aren't read by Style Sheet at all (as far as I understand).

So my suggestion, this [NewSession/] tag will be created when the user signs in (even if he filtered himself), so logs will always be splitted regardless of the language version currently used.

And also the downwards compatibility issue, which CookieRevised mentioned in the above post, can be solved a bit. How? Since [NewSession/] tags already exist in the log files, a new Style Sheet can read them, and can still split sessions according to those tags (of course those sessions won't be sign in sessions but only Messenger started-closed sessions). But from where will it read date and time to create a link with them, I don't know :(

And there is still another problem with Current User. Because still it is a problem how to highlight Current User's activities with a yellow background, if the translations of "Current User" will be kept as is in [RecordedEvents] section in language files.

After such long and confusing paragraphs, what I want to say in fact is "solve this problem please" :)

This post was edited on 10-24-2007 at 09:08 PM by ahmetgns.
10-23-2007 04:57 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: