What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » I am not happy about this

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
I am not happy about this
Author: Message:
Chris2007

O.P. Dodgy  I am not happy about this
Well hello, as you can see i am not happy i downloaded the Windows Live Messenger Plus and now every 5 minutes i am receiving a pop up started by something called CiD this is also causing my computer to run sluggishly slow, i looked around on the internet to find out why im getting this pop up and every answer i found was related to downloading this messenger i recommend you get rid of WLM Plus or fix this problem my anti spyware and virus scans have shown me that this is a risk to my computer.....

Sort it out.

10-24-2007 06:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: I am not happy about this
There's a sponsor in Messenger Plus! Live that you installed when you installed Messenger Plus! Live, however you can uninstall the sponsor without uninstalling Messenger Plus! Live.

Big quote from the official FAQ:
quote:
Messenger Plus! Live comes with an optional sponsor program that you can decide to install or not during setup (the same setup is always run, whether it's downloaded from the site or by the auto-update feature of Messenger Plus!, you will always be prompted the same way). This program shows ads from time to time on your computer. adds some favorites in Internet Explorer and can be uninstalled without hassle in seconds. In NO case is the sponsor mandatory or dangerous.

Unfortunately, some of the anti-adware/spyware products distributed nowadays don't care to make a difference between a clean adware solution and a nasty spyware. As a result, users who want to give their support by installing the sponsor sometimes get scared by alarming warning coming from their anti-adware/spyware product. In addition to displaying false information to their users, these products can also, in some occasions, damage the installation package of the sponsor, preventing further removal. This is why warning related to Messenger Plus! should be ignored and the proper procedure be followed (see below). In case of doubt, remember that Messenger Plus! has been on the market since 2001, longer than many of the detection software you see nowadays. Millions of people are using it daily, proving without the shadow of a doubt that the program is reliable and can be trusted.

To get rid of it, you go to Add/Remove Programs, and then you select "Messenger Plus! Live & Sponsor", follow the instructions shown.
10-24-2007 06:28 PM
Chris2007

O.P. RE: I am not happy about this
so basically your giving the option to someone if they want pop ups from a malicious program how smart?

anyway its gone now.
i do highly recommend to take this option off as it can cause further complaints and wont cause u a waste of time to keep replying to countless threads saying the exact same thing ive just said
10-24-2007 06:35 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I am not happy about this
quote:
Originally posted by Chris2007
so basically your giving the option to someone if they want pop ups from a malicious program how smart?

At least it's an option. There's lots of software that doesn't even give you that, and forces stuff upon you.

Besides, it's not that malicious, all it does is show a few popups every now and again.

As for the removing it comment, I'm sure Patchou (the sole creator of Messenger Plus!) would gladly remove it if you could find him another reliable source of income to replace it, but as of yet none have been found, so it isn't really an option.

This post was edited on 10-24-2007 at 06:52 PM by pollolibredegrasa.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
10-24-2007 06:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
It's for users who want to support the development of Plus!, Patchou isn't working for free, he needs food to survive. :)

Also this program isn't malicious, only the anti-adware says so. When you uninstall it, it will uninstall, there's nothing left anymore.
10-24-2007 06:52 PM
Chris2007

But the fact that my virus scans along with my search and destroy scans shows it as a malicious program.
Come on its not exactly fun having to close a window from this ridiculous program every 5 minutes.
I just cant believe that it would give you the option to install this nonsense from such a trustworthy program.
I can understand what your all trying to say but if your going to advertise do it in a way that isn't harmful to your computer. It is harmful to computers because it caused mine to slow down tremendously
10-24-2007 06:58 PM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
You have a choise, and if you don't like the sponsor, just uninstall it. No harm done!
10-24-2007 07:03 PM
Chris2007

laugh out loud never mind you don't understand my point so end of topic
10-24-2007 07:57 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
What you don't understand is that without the sponsor Patchou can't dedicate so much time to creating it because he actually takes time off work to do so.. this is a source of his income. Without that incentive, he can't do so.. so it would take way, way longer to get new versions, and we all don't want that. If you don't want the sponsor, you don't install it, as easy as.

Besides, it's your fault if you install it for not reading the big letters saying "INSTALL SPONSOR" and agreeing to terms you haven't read.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
10-24-2007 08:09 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
What you don't understand is that without the sponsor Patchou can't dedicate so much time to creating it because he actually takes time off work to do so.. this is a source of his income.

Working on Messenger Plus! Live is his job :p. That's why he needs a source of income.

Chris2007: You have to understand that Patchou is devoting time and effort for this. His way of income is through the Optional Sponsor. If someone (such as you) does not want to take the time to read and click the correct button if you don't want the sponsor, I believe you're the one to blame :P.

It's a stripped down version of the full thing anyways, regardless of what your antivirus says Patchou has got a stripped down adaware version of their software. (Just opens internet explorer popups eveyr now and then).

If you want to remove it
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
To get rid of it, you go to Add/Remove Programs, and then you select "Messenger Plus! Live & Sponsor", follow the instructions shown.

I assume you've already done that.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris2007
laugh out loud never mind you don't understand my point so end of topic

I don't think you understand our point....

Patchou + Optional AdAware Sponsor + People Installing It = Income   = More Messenger Plus! Live = Happy End User.

So read next time, there is nothing to blame but yourself and not reading.

Now look what you did, made me go serious mode :sad:.
10-24-2007 08:21 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: