What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Opening Plus! In A Messenger Copy

Opening Plus! In A Messenger Copy
Author: Message:
Meryovi

O.P. Huh?  Opening Plus! In A Messenger Copy
Hi,

I have a small problem here...

In my work :D
Messenger is blocked...
And I want to enable messenger plus...

(Messenger opens if I copy the directory to another place)

But Plus just load to the main client (not the copy) u.u
Which is blocked. :'D

Thanks for your help in advance.
10-29-2007 01:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Opening Plus! In A Messenger Copy
If your Messenger version is Windows Live, then there must be a file in Messenger's own directory named "msimg32.dll", it is the Loader of Messenger Plus! Live.

You said you had copied all Messenger folder to another place, but we are not sure that you have installed Plus! to your computer before copying it. Because when copied, that loader file msimg32.dll must also be copied to the new location.

If you can already see that file in the new directory, then wait for others to solve your problem with other tricks.
10-29-2007 02:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Meryovi

O.P. RE: Opening Plus! In A Messenger Copy
:)

Thanks!
10-29-2007 02:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I have a strange problem. Please help.

I want to use Messenger Plus! Live, MessengerDiscovery and StuffPlug with my Messenger, however as my computer is shared with my other family members and they don't want any add-on other than Plus!, I have created a copy of the Messenger folder in .../Windows Live/ directory. Then I pasted loaders of those three add-ons in this directory. In the original Messenger folder, there is only Plus!'s loader, msimg32. I start Messenger from my personal folder, other people start it from its original location.

But when I start Messenger; MessengerDiscovery and StuffPlug doesn't load to my Messenger because the original msnmsgr.exe starts from its own location, so only Plus! is loaded. When I delete msimg32 from my personal directory, Discovery and Stuff work fine but this time there is no Plus!. I tried deleting other add-ons' loaders one by one and I am now sure that the only problem is Plus! here. I mean even if I didn't install Discovery or Stuff, the Messenger still wouldn't be started from a personal folder with msimg32 in it. So I think Plus! causes the Messenger to be started from its original location. I tried from my brother's Windows account, there is no problem with his account. Messenger is started where it is initialized so Discovery and Stuff are loaded successfully along with Plus! as well.

Why does it do this? How does Plus! cause such a problem?
08-05-2008 10:37 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
So when used from the original directory, everything works together? Couldn't you then use the default directory for yourself and the copy for your family?

When you say it works on you brother's account, do you mean the three addons are started there, even if used from the copied directory?

This post was edited on 08-05-2008 at 07:05 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-05-2008 07:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
So when used from the original directory, everything works together?
Yes, if I copy loaders of all add-ons to the original directory, all of them are loaded to the Messenger successfully.
quote:
Couldn't you then use the default directory for yourself and the copy for your family?
When I firstly experienced this problem,  the idea you suggested already shined at my head but I then thought that when my family starts the copy Messenger, the Plus!'s loader will cause the original msnmsgr to be started from its original location thus Discovery and Stuff will be loaded for their Messenger's as well. But before I post this problem here, I tried with other Win. accounts and that problem actually didn't arise there. However, there is another problem .As you know there are other ways to start Messenger, like from WL Toolbar's Messenger button or through WL Mail program or "msnmsgr" command line. So I don't want to prevent my family from using those functions properly because those functions start Messenger from its original location. I accede to not use those ways myself for the sake of my family :) (changing the installation directory for Messenger in registry may fix this problem but I don't want to do that, I only want to use copy messenger properly like other Win. accounts can use it. I also would like to know why Plus!'s loader causes this :S)

quote:
When you say it works on you brother's account, do you mean the three addons are started there, even if used from the copied directory?
In my brother's (or any other) Windows account, if copy msnmsgr is started, three add-ons are loaded. If original msnmsgr is started, only Plus! is loaded as it must be like that.
08-05-2008 08:21 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
So to get things straight:
So, it* does work from any another account, but not from yours?

* start the three addons together with the copied Messenger, but only start Plus! (or maybe nothing) with the original Messenger

---------------

Note, I can't help you with that (not time to try stuff myself, nor do I know a solution just like that), but justed wanted to make things clear for maybe others ;)
08-05-2008 09:14 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
So to get things straight:
So, it* does work from any another account, but not from yours?
Yes, you got it correct.

I don't know what is different with my Win. account.

I deleted the registry root for "Patchou" completely in my account then tried to start copy-msnmsgr but it didn't solve the problem.
quote:
Note, I can't help you with that (not time to try stuff myself, nor do I know a solution just like that), but justed wanted to make things clear for maybe others ;)
Thank you for your interest. I think noone can reproduce this problem (including me after it is solved by itself (I hope so :) ) ) Maybe only Patchou can explain why his loader calls the original msnmsgr.exe file.
08-05-2008 09:26 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Maybe only Patchou can explain why his loader calls the original msnmsgr.exe file.
ah... but that's maybe because it gets its "info" from the registry where the Messenger's libraries are registered or something like that.

See
HKCR\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\*
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\*

eg:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F81CD990-910B-4bbf-9CB3-6A77F3D697B3}

although the loader would only load when the messenger program in the same dir is executed... blah... dunno how all the hooks work and what he exactly does, so....

----------

Maybe a fairly simple solution would be to create a small batch file or WSH script which you can put in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Simply check who has logged in and according to that rename/copy the addon loaders to their proper name or remove them. Or set/unset some registry key. (depending on how SP and MDL hook themselfs into Messenger these days (dunno)). Such a batch or script would only be a few lines of code.

eg:
IF [%USERNAME%]=[ahmetgns] (
   COPY /Y msimg32.ori msimg32.dll
) ELSE (
   DEL msimg32.dll
)

will only work if you don't automatically start Messenger when you login to Windows though. Otherwise it might sometimes not work depending on what is loaded first; Messenger or the batch file.

This post was edited on 08-05-2008 at 10:18 PM by CookieRevised.
08-05-2008 09:49 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I renamed the "msnmsgr.exe" file (as "msnmsg.exe") and it works now. When I change the name back to original, it doesn't work again. So I'll keep using the renamed exe file for the time being. Thank you for your help.
08-09-2008 01:02 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: