What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » My old hotmail account.. Stolen?

My old hotmail account.. Stolen?
Author: Message:
Squirrell

O.P. My old hotmail account.. Stolen?
I have an old hotmail account, I went to check (from the forgot password thingy) if the address still exists, it has been unused for about 3 years and it's still there! But why, has someone taken this account from me, I thought hotmail deletes old accounts? The acc has a security question I can't remember for sure if it was set by me, it was "your grand mothers first occupation". well the modern hotmail doesn't allow making custom security questions so the acc cannot be retaken or what?

I couldn't remember the password as its been so long time from the last login. Yes I started to think if someone sinister has taken my account name when hotmail deleted it because of inactiveness.. How can I know? I also tried to send a message to that e-mail, and it didn't return me postmaster delivery failure mesage so the address must still exist and the mailbox be active. :S Or is it because of the new live hotmail? I have never told the password to everyone.

This post was edited on 10-31-2007 at 05:48 PM by Squirrell.
10-31-2007 05:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
RE: My old hotmail account.. Stolen?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=78564

You don't need to make two threads man ^^ But back to the issue, how someone got your account is a mystery (the only thing I can think is that they looked over your shoulder whilst you were checking the old account [or the new one also, if they have the same password]).

If they do have the same password, change it ASAP.

The best thing you can do is report this WLM... they should be able to help.
10-31-2007 07:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrell
Yes I started to think if someone sinister has taken my account name when hotmail deleted it because of inactiveness.. How can I know?
http://email.about.com/cs/hotmailtips/qt/et031001.htm

That appears to say that the account will become available for taking if not used for a year.  Therefore, if you know you haven't used it at least that long and it exists, someone else has taken the account name. 

It's more likely that they just chose it because they wanted it, not because they have "sinister" intentions -- but yeah, if anything for you still gets sent to that account, someone else may receive it.  I once purchased a previously registered domain name, which the owner had failed to renew, and kept receiving his email for years afterwards.

For this reason, my recommended email solution for everyone is to choose a domain name they will want to keep -- such as their real name -- register it, and keep it forever.   Most domains cost $10 or less per year and hosting can be free (e.g. Google Apps).
10-31-2007 08:11 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Most domains cost $10 or less per year and hosting can be free (e.g. Google Apps).

I think he's talking about his hotmail email account and not a website domain as such
10-31-2007 08:45 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
quote:
Most domains cost $10 or less per year and hosting can be free (e.g. Google Apps).

I think he's talking about his hotmail email account and not a website domain as such

it still applies.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-31-2007 08:47 PM
Squirrell

O.P. RE: My old hotmail account.. Stolen?
Wheres the WLM contact form so I can ask about this thing?

Another question: when did the option of making custom secret question got removed? Because that would give some info on when this acc is made..

PS: Is it possible to know anything else about this account? Like if I can access the Space of that user or such.

This post was edited on 10-31-2007 at 08:52 PM by Squirrell.
10-31-2007 08:49 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
quote:

it still applies.

My Bad :P

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrell
Wheres the WLM contact form so I can ask about this thing?

PS: Is it possible to know anything else about this account? Like if I can access the Space of that user or such.

http://postmaster.msn.com/

& No, you can't find out about the new user, becuase it would be an invasion of privacy.
10-31-2007 08:59 PM
Squirrell

O.P. RE: My old hotmail account.. Stolen?
Hey.. My friend too tried on his old account. Hasn't used it in 2 years.. Well, that account existed too. Looked at the security question.
10-31-2007 09:21 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: