What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Email toast when busy

Email toast when busy
Author: Message:
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Email toast when busy
When you are busy you are meant to not receive any toasts, however if you have a POP3 email check set-up through MP!L you still get the toast. I checked and you have it correct with scripts however and also when it comes to Event Notifications.  Patches, why aren't you saving code and using a single function for all toast creation?  If you did then you wouldn't run into little problems like this. :P

* markee runs from Patchou

PS. Would be nice if the testers caught bugs like this in 4.50.... let's hope. :P

* markee runs from the testers

This post was edited on 11-01-2007 at 09:13 AM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
11-01-2007 09:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Email toast when busy
Where is the option which says not to show toast for email notification when busy? Such an option is only available for Event Notification toasts.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
* markee runs for the testers
for?

This post was edited on 11-01-2007 at 09:14 AM by Felu.
11-01-2007 09:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Email toast when busy
quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Where is the option which says not to show toast for email notification when busy?
There is no need for it as when you are busy you should get no toasts, period.  The whole idea of the busy status is not to get distractions from what you are meant to be doing.  With everything else you do not get any toasts when busy (and cannot even create them through scripts using MsgPlus.DisplayToast) so why should this one feature be different.  If anything it should be an option to put it on instead.

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
* markee runs for the testers
for?
Spelling error

This post was edited on 11-01-2007 at 09:19 AM by markee.
11-01-2007 09:19 AM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
Toasts work here with MsgPlus.DisplayToast even when my status is busy. An option for disabling toasts when busy would be better than rather just disabling the toasts when busy. And MsgPlus.DisplayToast should always work even if your status is busy imo.

Update: If the "Show Messenger Plus! Popup Notifications When Busy" under "Even Notifications" in the "Customize!" section of the Preferences is unchecked, MsgPlus.DisplayToast function doesn't work while busy. From this I can conclude that the function that Patchou coded to display a toast only displays a toast when busy if the "Show Messenger Plus! Popup Notifications When Busy" option is checked.

But as per markee, email notification toasts show up even when he unchecked that option and his status is busy. This means Patchou doesn't use the function used for MsgPlus.DisplayToast, MsgPlus.DisplayToastContact or Event Notification for Email Notifications. So, plain and simple Patchou uses extra code.

This post was edited on 11-01-2007 at 09:41 AM by Felu.
11-01-2007 09:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
With a little more investigation with Felu we have come accross that

Preferences > Customize > Event Notifications > Show Messenger Plus pop-up notifications when Busy

governs all of the toast that are generated apart from the email notifications (well there may be more but this is at least one of them :P).  So shouldn't they use the same function as the others when generated and be subject to the same conditions such as when busy?  Maybe also it might be nice if there was a global setting but then each of the individual Event Notifications could be modified (but still use the global settings for scripts as a nice thing to do :P).  It was just a thought.
11-01-2007 09:36 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Since Patchou wrote "Some features may act indepently from this option. For example, external mail notifications are always shown even if this option isn't checked." to the option of Event notifications, I believe he is aware of this and has a good (I doubt though :P ) reason.

I'll report this thread to be moved to General Talk forum
11-01-2007 05:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I didn't see the tooltip on hover.  :$

I don't see any reasonable justification why email notifications would need to be any different to the other toasts when it comes to this.  When I use fullscreen apps/movies i change my status to busy so i don't get annoye with toasts but there should be some way of disabling these email notifications when busy shouldn't there?

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I'll report this thread to be moved to General Talk forum
I deserves to be in bug reports.  Although this is the intended action of the code it is something that I don't think is quite right and should be dealt with appropriately.  It doesn't matter where the end of a bug report ends up, it is there for when a person first recognises something they believe to be a bug in MP!L, such as this.
11-01-2007 10:33 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
It deserves to be in bug reports.
Moved back. :p

But if it's not actually a bug, keeping it in the "bug reports" forum doesn't make much sense... :^) oh well.
11-01-2007 10:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
It deserves to be in bug reports.
Moved back. :p

But if it's not actually a bug, keeping it in the "bug reports" forum doesn't make much sense... :^) oh well.
I thought that if anyone else were to think that it is a bug as well then they might only search this forum for the answer.  And more than the first half of posts are considering it as a bug.  Anyway isn't the saying "That's not a bug, that's an unexpected feature" just exactl what this thread is about? Like people can perceve this to be either even though Patchou's intention was to have it this way?  Ok, that was just some justification why I think it needed to stay and the questions were retorical so there is no need to reply unless you feel like you really have to.  I understand the point of why it might be felt to be in the other forum but i think it is a much better fit here.
11-01-2007 10:53 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: