What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » suggestion for scripts db

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
suggestion for scripts db
Author: Message:
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: suggestion for scripts db
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
# how to do show a Hello World window
# how to catch menu events
# how to do stuff based on commands
There are examples in the scripting documentation for each of them with their associated functions for the latter 2 and the first has its own page, I think it is falled "My First Script"
[Image: markee.png]
11-07-2007 01:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
From own experience with the submitted scripts... I'd like to see tutorials on how to use /commands properly, see Need an example of proper /commands to show to other scripters, and something on a multi language class that allows easy translation, switching languages etc.

Didn't look at Markee's list yet, but having tut's like that together at one place would be awesome to point beginning scripters to.

This post was edited on 11-07-2007 at 01:34 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-07-2007 01:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I'd like to see tutorials on how to use /commands properly, see Need an example of proper /commands to show to other scripters
I remember sending you a PM ages back telling you about the two methods, RegExp and using a split at the spaces.  The RegExp is the only method I recomend these days, even if the person doesn't understand the code then they can just copy and use it, Cookies posts make things basically fail-safe.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
something on a multi language class that allows easy translation, switching languages etc.
This is quite difficult because there are many things that you can't just change the label of through a script and you have to edit the XML of the interface window before opening it.  This is difficult and has to be made of a per script basis to get the naming of everything correct and understand the methods they use (all ui's in one XML or many XML's for example).  What is easier however is using an interface folder with many XML all filled in and naming them like AboutWindow-en.xml and using the MsgPlus.UILangCode property (I accume by the property name that is the reason for having it).  Although this isn't really a nice method for the translator, it is easier and more accurate for the script writer (although harder to update).
11-07-2007 01:45 PM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee
This is quite difficult because there are many things that you can't just change the label of through a script and you have to edit the XML of the interface window before opening it.  This is difficult and has to be made of a per script basis to get the naming of everything correct and understand the methods they use (all ui's in one XML or many XML's for example).
Well, I was able to translate everything used in my Log Manager script, from labels to ListView headers and tooltips (big credits to Eljay for these by the way! (y)). The only thing I have trouble with at the moment is that when I try to change the window's caption (the name appearing in the taskbar), Plus! automatically adds a title bar to your window, even if your XML didn't define that it should have one. Also, MenuButtonControl's menus can't be translated, however I can fix this by using ButtonControls who open a "standard" Windows menu (the gray one).

But I wouldn't say that you can only make a script multilingual with the use of multiple XML files or XML re-writing, because it works good (and fast!) in my script. :P
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
11-07-2007 08:15 PM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:
Originally posted by markee
This is quite difficult because there are many things that you can't just change the label of through a script and you have to edit the XML of the interface window before opening it.  This is difficult and has to be made of a per script basis to get the naming of everything correct and understand the methods they use (all ui's in one XML or many XML's for example).
Well, I was able to translate everything used in my Log Manager script, from labels to ListView headers and tooltips (big credits to Eljay for these by the way! (y)). The only thing I have trouble with at the moment is that when I try to change the window's caption (the name appearing in the taskbar), Plus! automatically adds a title bar to your window, even if your XML didn't define that it should have one. Also, MenuButtonControl's menus can't be translated, however I can fix this by using ButtonControls who open a "standard" Windows menu (the gray one).

But I wouldn't say that you can only make a script multilingual with the use of multiple XML files or XML re-writing, because it works good (and fast!) in my script. :P
That's true, but it is A LOT of code that the user won't understand.  You'll also have to get the using some standardised method in the ini file to be able to tell what kind of control each one is to be able to change it.  I understand that it is possible, but for a new scripter those two methods are the best they'll understand.  These scripts currently use different XML's for each language because they are in different scripts so it's not like it is too difficult to manage them in the way i recommended, it would just be a lot easier i think.  However if you want to write up some code to do it your way then I'm not complaining :P
11-07-2007 10:03 PM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Well, I may try one day to merge the classes I use for my translation stuff together, so that script developers can use it to easily make a working, multilingual script. But I'd need a lot of time for that, so the earliest I could start on something similar would be during Christmas holidays... :P
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
11-08-2007 06:34 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: