What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » i cannot see my chat folders

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
i cannot see my chat folders
Author: Message:
kormanlo

O.P. i cannot see my chat folders
one week ago my computer (backdoor.win32.ircbot.aod) was infected by a virus. the virus sent online people "name@hotmail.com" exe file automatically. after that i cannot see my chat files. when i open files i see an empty page. how can i see again my chats? i uninstall Messenger Plus live and install again but it does not change. and i delete the virus. please help me, i have very important things in these files :(
11-11-2007 04:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: i cannot see my chat folders
I am assuming you mean chat logs

Are you using Microsoft's own Caht log system or Messenger Plus's Chat log system?

If Plus Chat Logs....
Are your files encrypted chat logs or unencrypted html files?
Have you tried using Messenger Plus' built in chat log viewer?
Have you tried a system restore?
Have you looked in the recycle bin or used Piriform's Recuva application (if you've deleted any files)?
Are you sure the chat log feature is working and turned on for your contacts?

Hope you find your chat logs/get them working :)

This post was edited on 11-11-2007 at 11:48 AM by aNILEator.
11-11-2007 11:47 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kormanlo

O.P. RE: i cannot see my chat folders
yeah i mean chat logs because i use turkish so i dont know very well translations of names :)
first i use messenger plus and my logs are encrypted xml files.  i didnt restrore system. i dont know whats piriform recuva application. and yeah i deleted some useless chat logs but i dont think that can affect. i wanna see again my chats :(
11-11-2007 12:39 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
Ok maybe ahmetgns can help with your turkish.

Recuva is an 'un-deleter/deleted file recovery' application, it works very well and displays the likelihood of being able to recover a certain file (e.g. if it's been over-written or corrupted)

Are you sure you're chat logs are encrypted Plus chat logs?

an encrypted Plus chat log is in the .ple format eg.
talktofrankbot@hotmail.co.uk.ple

upon opening it will ask for your password and then it will open in plus's chat log viewer

This post was edited on 11-11-2007 at 01:14 PM by aNILEator.
11-11-2007 01:13 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kormanlo
after that i cannot see my chat files. when i open files i see an empty page.
Firstly, you said you couldn't see your chat files. But in the second sentence, you said you saw empty page when you opened them. Lets clarify something here.

Default folder name in MP!Live's Turkish version is "Ileti Gecmisim" and it must be in your "Belgelerim" folder if you didn't change it (But it may also be "Sohbet Gunluk Dosyalarim" folder if you used previous unofficial translations first).

Now when you open your "Belgelerim" folder, can you see that "Ileti Gecmisim" or "Sohbet Gunluk Dosyalarim" folders. If yes, are there any files in them with the .ple or .html extension? Or is it completely empty? If it is empty, uninstalling MsgPlus! will not solve the problem, you may have to make a System Restore, just restore your system to a previous date which you last opened your chat log files successfully. Or use Recuva (me too don't know it :P).

Also are your converstaions being saved now, or does the problem persist?
11-11-2007 01:48 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
Recuva is made by the same company that make CCleaner ;)

http://www.piriform.com/products

It's saved me some precious files lots of times :)

It also displays original location (so if you know a file was there but isn't now you can check to see if it picks it up) it also has a nice search filter like the word-wheel too :)

</advertise>

:P

Hope we can be of help

This post was edited on 11-11-2007 at 01:53 PM by aNILEator.
11-11-2007 01:51 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I'll write some details here which I got from kormanlo 's PM to me. His chat logs are still in the folder which used to be before. Also the file sizes of them are not small, I mean they must contain the conversations still. Also, they're all encrypted and HTML files. However when he opens it, the Log Viewer displays a blank page, nothing else. So I think there must be a way to view them.

As far as I remember, there was a similar thread about this. One guy said that when s/he opened his logs, there is only a blank page. But I couldn't find that thread. Do you remember such a thread?

And kormanlo, does this problem occurs for all encrypted chat logs on your computer? I attached a small .ple file, can you download it and try to open it on your computer. I hope this will help us to understand if the problem is with your computer or with files. Password: kormanlo

If you can open it, please take your logs to another computer and try on them provided that other computers have Messenger Plus! Live.

.zip File Attachment: Kas&#305;m 2007.zip (9.28 KB)
This file has been downloaded 178 time(s).
11-11-2007 07:02 PM
jettinjatti

Hey ahmetgns;

That was my thread entitled, "Chat logs are separating"
... and I'm still looking for help on that topic :P
Thanks!
11-12-2007 09:39 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
kormanlo again pmed me and said these:

"When I opened the file you sent, it displayed a blank page in Log viewer but there was also a hidden html document near it. I opened it by double clicking and it opened it in firefox (ahmetgns thinks the html files are associated with Firefox in kormanlo's computer) and I could read them."

So I think this is a log viewer problem but if log viewer uses the Internet Explorer to display logs, I demanded kormanlo to open that hidden file near the .ple file in Internet Explorer itself. I hope he replies here this time, not pm me :) and we understand if the problem is caused by Internet Explorer itself.
11-24-2007 04:20 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Bump!

One of my friend has the same problem. Please help her. I will write some information I received from her. She said that
quote:
I upgraded to Windows XP SP3 three days ago but I am not sure if this problem was there before that upgrade. Also a couple of days ago, I scanned my computer with a program called windows XP Repair Pro  2007 and it found some errors in the computer, including registry and fixed them. I don't know if it has any effect on this as well. I uninstalled Plus! and reinstalled but the problem remains.
When she opens an encrypted chat log file, it asks for the password. She enters the password and it starts to decrypt it. Then it opens Log Viewer but the page is blank, it displays nothing but a white page (there is not the big grey Plus! logo too). But the temporary unencrypted file appears in the chat logs folder after decryption, but it cannot be loaded to the Log Viewer. When she closes the Log Viewer application, the temporary file is deleted as well. She tried with the old Log Viewer.exe (which is before version 4.50) and the problems arises there too. Also if she selects an encrypted file within Log Viewer's files list, then again the same problem, the decrypted file cannot be loaded to the Log Viewer. [edit]She can open unencrypted logs successfully. [/edit]

Please help us. Thanks.

This post was edited on 06-20-2008 at 09:20 AM by ahmetgns.
06-19-2008 07:21 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: