What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ResHacker Info

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
ResHacker Info
Author: Message:
risk_reversal

O.P. ResHacker Info
Hi guys,

I was using ResHacker to modify MSN Messenger and have the following question to ask.

What should the location of ResHacker.exe be, ie with HijackThis it should be place at root C:\. So should a folder be created at C:\ for ResHacker, or should it be placed in the folder of the prog that I am modifying, in this case at C:\Program Files\ MSN Messenger.

Its just that in my test system ResHacker created 2 files after I used it to modify MSN Messenger (RESHACKER.INI & RESHACKER.GID).

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers
and if you see a long tunnel 'stay away from the light'
11-14-2007 01:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: ResHacker Info
reshacker can be extracted anywhere I think :S

I had mine running from a folder on my desktop
11-14-2007 02:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
I made C:\Program Files\ResHacker and put it in there, and then made some shortcuts which i put in my start menu, but it can run from anywhere
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
11-14-2007 03:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
trini

– / Female / Flag
I did put it on my D: drive ,so if I format C: ,I don't need to reinstall it. It won't matter from which direction you run it.
11-14-2007 05:02 PM
risk_reversal

O.P. RE: ResHacker Info
Most kind guys.

Presumably just one instance of ResHacker is enough. By that I mean that ResHacker should only be 'installed' once and different / various modifications made through this one only 'install' and not on a multiple install basis.

ie if I change msnmsgr.exe, then change some other exe for example, then no need to make the second change through a new ResHacker 'install'. I hope that I made myself clear. Apologies if this is a silly question.

Many thanks for the info

Cheers

This post was edited on 11-15-2007 at 03:16 PM by risk_reversal.
11-15-2007 03:15 PM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
Just one copy of ResHacker is fine yea :)
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
11-15-2007 04:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
You have to understand that Reshacker is simply a program to change msnmsgr.exe it doesn't matter where reshacker.exe is located or if it's even installed on your computer.

msnmsgr.exe changes physically (well virtually, but you get what I mean :P), and reshacker doesn't have anything to do with it anymore after you changed it.
[Image: 1-0.png]

11-15-2007 04:34 PM
risk_reversal

O.P. RE: ResHacker Info
Many thanks for clearing up my confusion.

quote:
You have to understand that Reshacker is simply a program to change msnmsgr.exe it doesn't matter where reshacker.exe is located or if it's even installed on your computer.

I think that this was at the centre of my confusion as I had assumed that ResHacker could be used to change .exe's other than just msnmsgr.exe......

Many thanks for your kind help

Cheers

This post was edited on 11-15-2007 at 10:20 PM by risk_reversal.
11-15-2007 10:19 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by risk_reversal
I think that this was at the centre of my confusion as I had assumed that ResHacker could be used to change .exe's other than just msnmsgr.exe......

You can change exe's other than msnmsgr.exe, but it changes that .exe and after that you don't need to have ResHacker anymore, that was my point.
[Image: 1-0.png]

11-15-2007 10:34 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
ResHacker (correct name: Resource Hacker) is just another tool/utility program to change some things in another file.

More precisely changing/editing resources in a file (can be an exe, dll, or any other file which can hold resources). So, it isn't related to messenger either. Messenger is just a program which happens to have resources, like oh-so-many other programs.

It is just like using your Photo Editor to fix that red eye in that nice photograph. Afterwards you don't need your Photo Editor to view that photo. And the Photo Editor software is also installed like any other normal program, once, in its own directory.

BTW: ResHacker doesn't really need to be 'installed' (like bigger programs, like Messenger itself for example). You can just copy the program into any folder you want and start using it from there.

quote:
from the official site, first paragraph:

What is Resource Hacker?

Resource Hacker is a freeware utility to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource files (*.res). It incorporates an internal resource script compiler and decompiler and works on Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2000 and WinXP operating systems.
Tip: read the tutorial links listed on the site...

reshacker.ini holds the settings and options for ResHacker.
INI files are typically used when not much settings needs to be stored and when the author of the program has choosen not to use the Windows Registry to store stuff.

reshacker.gid is an index file created the first time you used the search function in ResHacker's Windows Help file.
GID files are always created when you use the search feature of a particular Windows Help File. They hold the index of the Help file and are used to speed up searching.

This post was edited on 11-16-2007 at 03:02 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-16-2007 02:49 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: