What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Keyboard makes PC go into standby

Keyboard makes PC go into standby
Author: Message:
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Keyboard makes PC go into standby
For no apparent reason, my keyboard has made both my desktop and laptop go into standby when its plugged in. My keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse. I havn't done anything to my keyboard to make this happen and theres no standby button on it. I had googled but had no luck. Anyone know how to stop this? I don't want to buy a new keyboard seeing as this cost me around £30 and dont too much money to buy a new one
11-15-2007 05:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Keyboard makes PC go into standby
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
For no apparent reason, my keyboard has made both my desktop and laptop go into standby when its plugged in. My keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse. I havn't done anything to my keyboard to make this happen and theres no standby button on it. I had googled but had no luck. Anyone know how to stop this? I don't want to buy a new keyboard seeing as this cost me around £30 and dont too much money to buy a new one
Im guessing its a USB keyboard, so have you tried other ports? or have you tried it on another PC, and you can get real cheap keyboards of Ebay.
11-15-2007 05:57 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Keyboard makes PC go into standby
quote:
I've tried all ports and different computers. I want to avoid buying a new one.
11-15-2007 06:14 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
This is strange =s

Does the keyboard run off any special drivers or is it just a standard plug and play? If it does, try reinstalling the drivers for it
[Image: jumbled.png]
11-15-2007 06:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
This is strange =s

Does the keyboard run off any special drivers or is it just a standard plug and play? If it does, try reinstalling the drivers for it
Its standard plug and play.
11-15-2007 06:48 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
try going to the manufacturer website and downloading specific drivers, they can often give you extra options (for example hot-keys) so you might be able to change/assign functions, etc which could solve the problem
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5215 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes, 10 seconds ago
11-15-2007 07:04 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
There are no drivers available, its only plug and play.
11-15-2007 07:06 PM
Adeptus

The Windows keyboard shortcut for standby is such that even stuck keys couldn't produce it (it's a sequence of Winkey+U, S). 

I would suspect that the computer doesn't go into standby, but instead doesn't turn on (or shuts down when the keyboard is plugged in) because of an electrical short in the keyboard.  So, you should start shopping for a new one (and hope you haven't smoked your USB ports).

This post was edited on 11-15-2007 at 08:24 PM by Adeptus.
11-15-2007 08:23 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
The Windows keyboard shortcut for standby is such that even stuck keys couldn't produce it (it's a sequence of Winkey+U, S). 

I would suspect that the computer doesn't go into standby, but instead doesn't turn on (or shuts down when the keyboard is plugged in) because of an electrical short in the keyboard.  So, you should start shopping for a new one (and hope you haven't smoked your USB ports).
It does in fact go into standby because on my Win XP machine it says : "Preparing to go into standy-by."
When I plug it into my Win Vista machine, it does the same thing when you press the red power icon in the start menu.
11-15-2007 08:30 PM
Adeptus

quote:
It does in fact go into standby because on my Win XP machine it says : "Preparing to go into standy-by."
When I plug it into my Win Vista machine, it does the same thing when you press the red power icon in the start menu.
Either way, when a self-contained piece of hardware that doesn't even require any third party drivers to function causes the same problem on two different computers, it's time to chuck it in the bin and shop for a new one. 

Sorry -- the thing itself is faulty, you are best off accepting it and moving on.
11-16-2007 08:19 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: