What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Plus Live.. Dont Work!!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Messenger Plus Live.. Dont Work!!
Author: Message:
SkyBlue

O.P. Huh?  Messenger Plus Live.. Dont Work!!
i cant download Messenger Plus live! i hve tried everyfin on the forum but it still doesnt work. it downloads but does nt come up. when i look it up in control panel.. it is there but has a small red cross on the logo? When i open msn up, it does not come up? what shal i do?
11-30-2007 06:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Zahid™

– / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus Live.. Dont Work!!
What version of messenger do you have?
[Image: Zahid.png]
11-30-2007 06:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
SkyBlue

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus Live.. Dont Work!!
Windows Live Messenger 8.0
11-30-2007 06:40 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Edit: The X means that the installation has been corrupted I think. If you click on Change/Remove it should say that it's been corrupted. If so, that means that your anti-virus has most probably corrupted it. What anti-virus do you have? Try disabling it when your installing Plus!. Forget that. The cross means its not installed with the sponsor (I think?), I have the same. Still check to see if it's been corrupted though.

Do a clean install.

- Remove Messenger Plus! Live and Windows Live Messenger 8.0 from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
- Restart PC
- Delete C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\ folder if it still exists.
- Delete C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\ if it still exists.
- Now download Windows Live Messenger. I'd recommend the latest version, 8.5, but if you want download 8.0 then install it.
- Now download Messenger Plus! Live and install it.
- Run WLM, see if you still have problems.

If you still have problems, please tell us of any errors you receive and possibly screenshot

This post was edited on 11-30-2007 at 08:06 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
11-30-2007 07:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
SkyBlue

i did a clean install b4..but that did nthin. i downloaded msn agen n dat wrked, but wen i tried 2 dwnload Messenger Plus, it downloaded but came up wid a cross. it dont work tho..jst has it in my control panel!! wat else can i do? thnx
11-30-2007 08:14 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Can you please make a screenshot of what you mean with "it downloaded but came up wid a cross. it dont work tho..jst has it in my control panel"

PS1: Downloading a program is not the same as installing a program. Downloading something means copying it from the internet to your local hard drive.

Installing means starting up the program on your hard drive.

Aka, downloading something can't result in "comming up with a cross".

Are you able to install Messenger Plus! properly? Are there any errors which pop up?

Tip: Do not click on links on the internet and select "open" or "run" or "start". You better select "Save" to first save the file to your hard disk. When the file is completely downloaded you press "ok" (not "open" or "run" or whatever else). When the download dialog is closed you go to your hard disk and you double click on the program you just downloaded. This prevents many possible and common problems with caches, etc., which may lead to installation problems and corrupted files.

PS2: this is a forum, without a text length limit, it is not a text message on your mobile phone. Reading short talk is very annoying (and decyphering is slow). Try to write proper words. It would be much easier to read your posts and understand you. ;)

This post was edited on 12-01-2007 at 12:18 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-01-2007 12:14 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SkyBlue
it is there but has a small red cross on the logo? When i open msn up, it does not come up?
It's the uninstallation icon. Like a no parking sign, this is a no Plus! sign.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6556 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes, 56 seconds ago.

12-01-2007 02:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
SkyBlue

I have attached the message that are giving me problems. I have installed msn live and that is working perfectly fine without any error messages coming up.

In the attachment I have screen shot of the error message and the ''cross sign'' that appears.

I have deleted the Messenger Plus on my computer as it didn't work so it is not im my control panel as wel. I took the screen shot before deleting it.

Thanks for you help!!

.doc File Attachment: Messenger Plus Live.doc (334 KB)
This file has been downloaded 182 time(s).
12-01-2007 01:37 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Thanks for the screenshots. This makes it a lot more clearer what the problem might be.

(PS: in the future when you have other problems, always state the exact and complete error message you got. Don't describe it, but state the text exactly (and/or take a screenshot), including all the detailed steps you took. In that way people can help you directly and much quicker and don't need to guess ;))

------

First thing to do and check:

Did you uninstalled Messenger Plus! Live and its sponsor in the proper way? In other words: when you uninstalled it, did you saw a box comming up with big numbers and did you filled out those numbers when they were requested?

If so, you probably uninstalled Messenger Plus! Live and its sponsor correctly. If you didn't saw such a box, you probably failed to uninstall the sponsor of Messenger Plus! in the proper way. To solve this you need to install Messenger Plus! again WITH the sponsor. When that is done, you can uninstall everything again, but this time follow the instructions on the screen carefully.

------

Second thing to do and check:

1) Uninstall EVERY addon or extra tool for Messenger. This includes stuff like  SmileyCentral, SweetIM, etc... You must uninstall these by going to you "add/remove programs" control panel.

Also see and read Have SweetIM and/or SmileyCentral installed? PLEASE READ.

2) Uninstall ALL Messenger clients you may have installed (with the use of the 'add/remove programs' control panel - Never ever just remove/delete programs).

3) After uninstalling everything, make sure to delete "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" and/or C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger". This is very important.

4) The error: "This application has failed to start because MSNcore.dll was not found." can have several other causes. The official support from Microsoft states the following:
quote:
To resolve this issue, we are going to check hard disk space, decrypt Temp folder and reregister Windows Installer files. I have research the steps for you below and please follow them as listed. I appreciate your patience on this.

[list=1][*]Exit Windows Live Messenger completely. This means right click on its icon in your systemtray and choose "exit".

[*]Verify that you have sufficient disk space on your hard disk:
  • Right-click the "Start" button, and then click "Explore."
  • In the "Start Menu" window, right-click drive C in the left window, and then click "Properties."
  • Make sure that you have at least 50 megabytes of free space on drive C. If this is not the case you need to free up some diskspace first by removing other programs and/or files and/or cleaning out your trashbin, and/or cleaning your temporary files folder.
[*]Use the Disk Cleanup Manager utility to clear the temporary files and folders:
  • Click "Start," click "Run," type "cleanmgr", and then click "OK."
    Note: If you have more than one hard disk in your computer, the "Select Drive" window appears. If this is the case, select drive C on the drop-down menu, and then click "OK." The Disk Cleanup utility analyzes the drive to determine the amount of free space that you can achieve.
    Note: This process may take several minutes.

• In the "Disk Cleanup for C:" window, click the "Disk Cleanup" tab.
  • Click the check boxes to select the following items:
    - Downloaded Program Files
    - Temporary Internet Files
    - Temporary Files
    - Temporary Offline Files
    - Offline Files
  • Click "OK" to delete the selected file types.
  • When you are prompted, click "Yes" to start the Disk Cleanup utility.
    Note: This process may take several minutes.
[*]If your computer is running Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows 2000, the Encrypting File System may have encrypted the %temp% folder on your computer. If the Encrypting File System encrypted this folder, you must temporarily decrypt the folder before you install Messenger. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Click "Start," click "Run," type "%temp%\..\", and then click "OK."
  • Right-click the Temp folder, and then click "Properties."
  • In the "Temp Properties" window, click the "General" tab, and then click the "Advanced" button.
  • In the "Advanced Attributes" window, under the "Compress and Encrypt attributes" section, click to clear the "Encrypt contents to secure data" option.
  • Click "OK" two times to save the changes and to close the "Temp Properties" window.

[*]If you have a spyware detection tool running on your computer when you try to install Windows Live Messenger, you must disable it.

[*]If you had an earlier version of Messenger installed, uninstall it via the "add/remove programs" control panel.

[*]Try to install Windows Live Messenger again. For more information, go to step 11.

[*]If you still receive the error message, spyware may be preventing Windows Live Messenger from installing correctly. Some spyware can affect the system files that your system requires to connect to the Internet. To remove the spyware use an anti-spyware or an anti-virus tool. Restart your computer afterwards before continuing.

[*]If you still receive the error message, re-register Microsoft Windows Installer files:
  • Click "Start," click "Run," type "msiexec /unregserver", and then click "OK."
  • Click "Start," click "Run," type "msiexec /regserver", and then click "OK.
[*]If you still receive the error message, re-install Microsoft Windows Installer files:
[*]Try to re-download and re-install Windows Live Messenger again. To do this:
[/list]

This post was edited on 12-01-2007 at 03:33 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-01-2007 03:07 PM
SkyBlue

I have tried the above but it still didn't work. However I downloaded windows live messenger again and that worked fine.. and then downloaded plus live. Plus live worked, however i restarted my computer and it had dissapeared from msn. I cheked in control panel and it was there but had the ''cross'' by the logo. I then deleted plus live and tried to download it again but it came up with the error message that is in my attachment above. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks
12-01-2007 07:08 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: